[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Mars experience a greenhouse effect because of the massive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: download (8).jpg (7KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
7KB, 235x215px
Does Mars experience a greenhouse effect because of the massive amount of CO2 in its atmosphere?
>>
Kek that's the moon
>>
>>8485394
that's the sun
>>
>>8485392
>>8485394
>>8485398
Are you guys serious? You're all wrong about everything! That's earth and our intense atmospheric pressure condenses hydrogen atmosphere into a metal.
>>
File: Stefan-Boltzmann.jpg (35KB, 953x495px) Image search: [Google]
Stefan-Boltzmann.jpg
35KB, 953x495px
This is very simple to answer.

Let's start with Earth's energy budget. We get 1360 watts per meter squared of energy from the sun. By definition we are 1 AU from the sun. This simplifies the math. Mars is 1.524 AU from the sun.

Inverse square law states that therefore Mars receives 1 divided by the square of the distance or 585.6 watts per meter squared of Energy from the sun. The albedo of Mars is .29.

Plug that into the steffan-boltzmann equation to get the temperature of Mars.

We get 206.9 degrees Kelvin (-65.2 degrees C).

The actual average temperature of Mars is -55 degrees C. The greenhouse effect on Mars is therefore about 10 degrees.

We can use this for all the planets. Pluto is especially interesting because it has no atmosphere.
>>
File: planets in excel.png (34KB, 913x477px) Image search: [Google]
planets in excel.png
34KB, 913x477px
How about Venus? This one is especially interesting.

I made a simple excel spreadsheet to simplify things.

All we need is the distance in AU and the planet's albedo. Venus's albedo is .75. It is incredibly reflective.

231.9 degrees K or -40 degrees C. Venus is colder than Earth. By a lot. The actual temperature of Venus is 735 degrees C. The greenhouse effect on Venus is 775 degrees.

For reference Pluto is 37.23 degrees K
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/plutofact.html

According to Nasa Pluto's blackbody radiation is 37.5. Nailed it
>>
>>8485392
Yes.
>>
File: giphy.gif (447KB, 370x271px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
447KB, 370x271px
>>8485443
>Venus is colder than Earth. By a lot. The actual temperature of Venus is 735 degrees C.
>>
>>8485443
>>8485434
What's that in Fahrenheit?
>>
File: anger.png (214KB, 314x362px) Image search: [Google]
anger.png
214KB, 314x362px
>>8485443

>Venus is colder than Earth
>Venus is colder than Earth
>Venus
>colder
>Earth

ffs
>>
File: ffs.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
ffs.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>8485443
>>8485597
>The actual temperature of Venus is 735 degrees C.
>735 degrees C
>735
>degrees
>C

anon, are you retarded?
>>
>>8485601
The highly charged particles of the van allen belt render the earth hotter than venus to an external observer sir.
>>
>>8485597
>>8485601
You DO realize that the point of the exercise is to show the greenhouse effect for the planets as OP asked, yes?

The greenhouse effect on Venus is 775 degrees C which causes that 231 kelvin to become a huge 735 degrees C.

If you insist on someone else showing you the math, here you go.

http://web.gps.caltech.edu/classes/ese148a/lecture2.pdf

or
http://lasp.colorado.edu/~bagenal/3720/CLASS14/14EVM-5.html

or
http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/ees/climate/lectures/radiation/
for specifically the Earth's energy budget.

This is why we were shocked when we learned that the temperature of Venus is so high. Because of it's high reflectivity it should be lower than the Earth but it's not. It was on Venus, not on Earth, that the greenhouse effect was discovered.
>>
>>8485601
Sorry buddy, I meant to quote the other guy.
>>
>>8485577
Sorry for the wait, I don't usually convert to Fahrenheit. I live in the US though so I'm used to it.

Earth's radiating temperature is .288 degrees Fahrenheit. It's actual temperature is 59 degrees Fahrenheit. The greenhouse effect on Earth is about 59 degrees (we would be frozen without it)

Mars's radiating temperature is -85 degrees Fahrenheit. It's actual temperature is -67 degrees. It's greenhouse effect is about 18 degrees.

Venus's radiating temperature is -40 degrees Fahrenheit. It's actual temperature is 1355 degrees. It's greenhouse effect is 1395 degrees.
>>
>>8485882
Thanks!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.