[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humor me /sci/. So what we see in the sky is really the past.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: Disgusting.png (920KB, 800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.png
920KB, 800x1350px
Humor me /sci/.

So what we see in the sky is really the past. Stars that are billions of years old, most probably long gone.

So is there an area in the universe where one can see the big bang (or as close to realistically being able to see it as possible)?

If not, was there a time where if intelligent life existed they may have been able to observe it? (and then possibly document it for us to learn about in the future).

Also what is the theoretically earliest time we could "time travel" to, considering the universe was at one point way too small for us to even fit inside, and also just at some point a big ball of heat too hot for us to handle.

Also then I wonder what WOULD happen if you were to time-travel to a point where the universe was too small to fit you? Would you being extended outside the universe? Would the borders of your body become the new borders of the universe as the term "universe" is realitve? Would you be in multiple universes at once? Would your matter condense down with the universe to join that infinitely dense point?

This topic fascinates me endlessly.
>>
>the term universe is relative
nigga wat
>>
>>8484856
I mean think about it. What defines the "universe"? Does the universe have a border? And end? Is the universe a term for the area that matter occupies within an arbitrary nothingness? Or is the universe everything including that nothingness?
>>
>>8484871
I'm really asking here by the way. Usually a brainlet /fit/izen but have been trying to educate myself and this subject in particular I want to know more about.
>>
File: wmap1.jpg (798KB, 1924x1065px) Image search: [Google]
wmap1.jpg
798KB, 1924x1065px
>>8484847
> an area in the universe where one can see the big bang (or as close to realistically being able to see it as possible)?

That's sort of what the cosmic microwave background radiation is. It's radiation created in the first few thousand years of the universe. There was no empty space, liquids, ,solids, and gases yet. Matter and energy was so dense the entire universe was nothing but plasma.

We can see it coming from the edge of the observable universe in all directions. We're inside the big bang, so there isn't one point where light from that 13.7 billion year old plasma is coming from.
>>
>>8484951
Wow! Thats so cool!

So that is sort of like our universe's baby photo then? What made some points hotter than others? And why was it microwaves rather than any other type of wave?
>>
File: radiation-spectrum-chart_497091.jpg (22KB, 520x275px) Image search: [Google]
radiation-spectrum-chart_497091.jpg
22KB, 520x275px
>>8484967
>What made some points hotter than others?
I don't think anybody knows for sure yet. Most people expected it to be uniform, but then it wasn't.

> And why was it microwaves rather than any other type of wave?
Microwaves refers to radiation with a wavelength longer than visible light. When the CMBR was first emitted by hydrogen plasma it would have been more or less the same frequency ranges as our sun (X-rays, Gamma Rays, visible light, etc). It's wavelength increased during the 13.7 billion years it was flying through space so now it's all in the microwave range. The expansion of space also expands the wavelength of light going through it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.