[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does our biology allow for perfect happiness throughout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: me on the left.jpg (497KB, 1280x912px) Image search: [Google]
me on the left.jpg
497KB, 1280x912px
Does our biology allow for perfect happiness throughout one's life?
>>
If happiness traslates directly to neurotransmitters, probably no, and for good reason.
>>
Absolutely not. You've watched too many movies.
>>
This is why Trump won
>>
>>8483494
>ctrl+f
>Trump 1 of 1
>Hide post
>>
>>8483468
The human brain is obviously capable of generating short burst of overwhelming happiness and bliss, but making it a permanent condition is extremely difficult, if not impossible for most people.
>>
>>8483526
What kind of technology trickery would be needed to make it permanent?

If we make it permanent, do we all just die of hunger because there is no need to _seek_ a positive valence if you are in a constant state of it?

Is this not what a skinner box is? Is this not why people overdose?

Could there be a way around this problem? Like having artificially intelligent robots deliver a constant stream of nourishment while we remain in a constant catatonic state of pleasure? How do we guarantee that this system does not fail and we all die, when everyone would be totally incapable of doing anything other than feel happy, and our capacity for problem solving atrophies and dies?

If we do solve all of these problems and this state is achieved, do we even technically qualify for "conscious" living things in such a state? Are we not instead vegetables existing in a permanent vegetative state forever?

Is this even really a problem? Would it really be so bad to cast off the shackles of having to be nomadic animals, forced to constantly move from place to place in search of sustenance and other basic needs? Is not being a plant just as valid a form of "life"? Why don't we go back to that? Plants are much more efficient. They are not endangering the continued survival of life itself on this planet because of their extremely wasteful nature, as we are.

Just some things to think about.
>>
>>8483468
We are not born to be eternal lolis so no.
>>
>>8483468
me on the left
>>
>>8483468
Biologically impossible because our instincts always look for the best possible outcome and if they are not perfect then we experience a negative response to create a stimuli driving us to try and find a better environment.
>>
Life is about accepting difficulties so no
also me on the right
>>
>>8483468
>perfection
you're playing the game ofexistence wrong
>>
me in the middle
>>
>>8483468
heroin, all the way till u od. maybe electrostimulation which is essentially the same
>>
>>8483468
The "best" state you can ever reach is pure contentment in any situation.
>>
Be a normie theyre basically happy if the television works
>>
Wasn't this question already addressed?
It's in Herodotus somewhere, I'm sure.
>>
File: 1458479030171.png (176KB, 1286x1490px) Image search: [Google]
1458479030171.png
176KB, 1286x1490px
it is in the dhamma
>>
>>8483468
Technically.

The thing with serotonin is that your receptors become accustomed to it, and that's why users need higher doses to get the same hedonic effect. Over time the receptors calm down and get back to baseline. But receptor proteins all die eventually, you'd basically need to find a way to make serotonin receptors that die and regenerate quite quickly.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.