[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ive been thinking lately about how far the universe reaches and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1353210135561263250.jpg (170KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1353210135561263250.jpg
170KB, 800x450px
ive been thinking lately about how far the universe reaches and what its limits are. a popular theory is that the universe is infinitely big. the part that gets me all confused is that it also means that if i were to travel far enough in one direction i should eventually run into an exact copy of earth with an exact copy of me posting this exact same post at this very moment. this also means if i were to continue to travel even further ill run into another earth duplicate except on that earth that version of me became filthy rich and lives a completely different life style. lets say i travel even further and i run into an earth that dragons are real and flying around burning villages down. if the universe truly is infinite than there should be an infinite number of me with the technology to actually travel far enough to run into me. should this mean that i should of already met one of my copies? i feel like im missing something here.
>>
File: image_0.jpg (31KB, 813x416px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
31KB, 813x416px
>>
>>8480973
The universe isn't actually infinite. The universe is just so unimaginably large that they just are too lazy to explain it and humans can't relate to large numbers so it is easier to tell retards it is infinite. The correct term should be it is ulimited because it is constantly expanding. The real trick is what exactly is it expanding into?
>>
>>8480973
OP, that's not what infinite means. If i divide 10 by 9 and get 1.1111111111... , i say the 1s are infinite. This doesn't mean that if i look far enough down the line i will eventually find a 9. The universe is infinitely empty space. You won't find everything imaginable somewhere in the universe
>>
>>8481022
I by no means believe in the idea of exact copies somewhere in the infinite universe, but there's something in the argument you used that has always bugged me...

In an infinite universe, we know for certain we won't find anything that's physically impossible, but what prevents the phenomena of an exact copy of something we know it's possible and already existed once (I.E. me). If it is truly infinite, there can't be enough variables to prevent that from happening, right?

I'm genuinely curious, just want to know what you think about this.
>>
>>8481028
The CMB indicates a finite amount of matter in the universe. While there is a lot of matter, it's very unlikely there's not so much that there is anything other than a statistically insignificant chance of there existing a down-to-the-molecule duplicate Earth anywhere in this universe.

Unless multiverse theory is a thing - though even then, it'd be in some other universe.
>>
>>8481142
Well, that makes sense, finite matter is the argument then. Thank you.
>>
>>8481142
Time to "aaaaaahhhhh" ?

>https://www.technologyreview.com/s/420963/time-likely-to-end-within-earths-lifespan-say-physicists/
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.