[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting a mechanical engineering degree I already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Thinking about getting a mechanical engineering degree

I already have the following

- ASE certified master technician
- CAD/CAM experience
- Die making experience

Would these things give me a leg up?
>>
Not even remotely.
>>
>>8480417
:(
>>
>>8480414
"A leg up" how? You'd still have to learn some math and pass the exams like everyone else, then suck up to and get known by professors if you want some actual projects.
>>
>>8480426

I'm talking about with employers and being able to do the job.
>>
>>8480414
>>8480430
Absolutely, depending on the job. For most jobs, having some idea of how things work in manufacturing are helpful, and literally any kind of job experience is better than none
>>
>>8480432

thanks
>>
>>8480414

MechE here.

Those skills probably won't help much in your first two years, but will certainly be useful when you get to the more applied, project based courses.

Additionally, previous experience such as you have will absolutely be beneficial when looking for a job. Certifications are nice, and hands on technician experience is fantastic. CAD skills aren't really anything more than a bulletpoint anymore. You can train a retarded monkey to use the software these days.

Regardless, I think it's a good idea if you think you'd like the career and are ready to get back into the schooling world.
>>
>>8480439

Thanks dude
>>
>>8480414
NOPE.

the only thing that matters with engineering is your GPA and how prestigious your internships/research is.

I have certifications out the ass, a portfolio full of completed projects, and pages of documented experience.

none of that matters if its from a technician standpoint. its NOT engineering.

after 10 years of industry experience as a technician i got my mechanical engineering degree, and because i had a GPA of exactly 3.0 my resume was shit canned at every term.

(((((experience)))))) is a meme. GPA is all that matters
>>
>>8480480
3.0 is pretty bad for an old guy with experience. How did it end up like this?
>>
>>8480484
working 40 hours a week while having a wife and a kid and taking 16+ credits.

it didnt help that i had basically forgotten all the math i learned in high school.
>>
>>8480484
oh, also i transferred from a community college and they reset my dank ass 3.8 GPA. meaning all the padding i got from easier lower level classes went out the window.
>>
>>8480414
Yes as in the vast majority of ME programs you will do very little hands on vocational stuff. Assuming you want to be an engineer. For office jobs it will not help.
>>
>>8480480
Why do you put your GPA on your resume? that is a huge dumbass move.
>>
>>8480530
i don't, but every employer i've talked to wants my transcripts.
>>
File: tony-soprano-1920.jpg (611KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tony-soprano-1920.jpg
611KB, 1920x1080px
>>8480537

So are you employed currently as an engineer or are you still a technician?
>>
>>8480539
i'm a technician getting paid 20k more than i used to make just because of the piece of paper i now hold. consolation prize for 4 years worth of work and 40k in tuition.
>>
What the fuck does a mech engineer even do at work? Is it a lot of papework?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.