[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the ISS appear to wobble when viewed with the naked eye

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: ISS_crew_ISS_2009.jpg (2MB, 4217x2469px) Image search: [Google]
ISS_crew_ISS_2009.jpg
2MB, 4217x2469px
Does the ISS appear to wobble when viewed with the naked eye, and if so, why?

I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and a couple of times recently when I've gone out to watch the ISS flyover, it appeared to have a very visible 'wobble'. Last night in particular, the ISS flew roughly 90 degrees above me, and it had this very pronounced wobble to it. I've had other people in Melbourne tell me they've seen the same thing, though a quick google only showed up one result:

https://www.quora.com/Why-would-the-ISS-appear-to-be-wobbling-when-viewed-with-the-naked-eye

Is this as the answerer there says, a result of temperate fluctations? Last night there also happened to be a plane flying high in the atmosphere as the ISS went past, and the airplane didn't have any visible wobble.
>>
>>8477791
Seeing as how the ISS is much further up than the plane and thus the light from the ISS has to pass through a lot more atmosphere, that's probably the wobble your describing.

The whole reason we put a telescope is orbit was to eliminate artifacts caused by the atmosphere.
>>
>>8477802

Thanks. Is there a reason, though, why the 'wobble' seems significantly more pronounced that the degree to which stars 'twinkle', or am I imagining this?
>>
it is impossible to see the ISS if its going past mach speed over the earth.

sage
>>
>>8477810
Probably your brain being confused by seeing the normal visual artefacts of the atmosphere combined with the fairly quick clip the ISS moves at, and the resulting visual effect is a wobble.
>>
File: finished_animation6_smaller.gif (378KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
finished_animation6_smaller.gif
378KB, 540x304px
>>8477791
it's an effect of atmospheric turbulance and thermals.

IT's basically the same effect as the "Desert Mirage" only in a different place, over a different volume of air.

Ground based telescopes have been coping with the problem of looking through 200 some kilometers of air for decades now, you can see the effect if you look at the stars through a telescope, they appear to wobble as well.
>>
>>8477810
>>8478365
Pulling this out of my ass, but it could be because the ISS is actually passing over the atmosphere. The stars twinkle because of temperature fluctuations and these fluctuations are caused by the movement of air. The stars are stationary, while the ISS is moving, so it seems like the fluctuations would be more pronounced
>>
I can't say I've seen it wobble, but it depends on multiple factors.

The first is whether or not you've been sticking your dick in a dead elephant's trunk
>>
>>8478356
Wew lad
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.