[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm stuck in a critical situation. I don't want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: watchmen_dr-manhattan2.jpg (93KB, 630x640px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen_dr-manhattan2.jpg
93KB, 630x640px
I'm stuck in a critical situation. I don't want to go to university/college, whatever.

Is this any good? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_%28programming_language%29

>what are it's limitations
>>
>>8477158
Python = Good, robust, easy to learn.
If you want to go deeper, look to Lisp or C.

> Depends entirely on what you want to use it for.

Personally I prefer Python for the most, it's reasoonably close to pseudocode like:

for number in [1,2,3,4,5]:
return number*2

which is an actual for-loop in Python.

Look for good courses online. (ocw or whatever.)
>>
>>8477158
>a programming language is an acceptable substitute for a university education
Why not just cut to the chase and become a NEET already?
>>
Honestly pick any object oriented language to start with and just work with it for a while. Your skills will transfer between languages pretty easily. The number one thing to keep in mind is that you are learning to program, not just learning a language.
>>
>>8477172
Yeah, that's exactly the problem. Python is easy, I'm good at maths but it's even below that, but how far can it go? I can devote 3 years of my life to university or a few months to this.

Would the latter be a smart move?
>>
>>8477158
>>8477193
OP here. In the most practical sense, is python worth devoting my time too?

>what are it's limitations < in the practical world.
>>
OP here again. I want to know. Can I use python to cook me a burrito in my microwave. Fuck yes I could. It would just be a timer though.

I'm high as fuck and don't know what to do with the rest of my life. Please inspire me. IRL I'm a very distant and forlorn person. Nobody even knows that I'm suffering.
>>
Fuck this Im going to /b/

smfh
>>
>>8477158
WAIT OP, I HAVE THE ANSWER
>>
>>8477193
>think he's good at math
>never went to university
Go to university not for the money, but for a little cockslap of reality.
>>
>>8477255
http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html
Check this one. It has some cool comparisons in the bottom, and basically; Python is used for a lot of computational models because it is so straight-forward.

Also there are tons of useful modules you can use, like SymPy, SciPy, etc. to do e.g. symbolic calculations. (with printing directly into LaTeX-functions. Which it can also evaluate for given variables. etc...

I'll repeat that again; You can write LaTeX-equations and evaluate them straight, as is, using Python. )

>>8477259
Want to create an artificially intelligent Microwave: Python can do it.

Also, check out codingame.com for practice and pythontutor for a shell which shows you exactly what goes on inside the funcions you write.
>>
>>8477158
>Python: baby's first programming language

It's a very easy programming language to learn, but it may cause people to form bad habits if that's the only language that they care to learn.

If you want to get good, spend a little while getting a solid footing with Python. Then, immediately pick another language to learn. Preferably something that's very different from Python. Jumping from Python to C or C++ might be too much of a leap, so pick something else.
>>
>>8477255
Limits depend on what you're trying to program. Lots of self taught web developers out there, for that you'd want html and CSS (both easy, not really languages) on top of Python and to find a framework (flask is simple). Could trade the Python for JavaScript, for better or worse its ubiquitous and there's tons of beginner material and frameworks to choose from. Making your own portfolio site and putting it online yourself is a good goal to work toward but will take time.

I can't speak to the remote microwaving though
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.