[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say I have a sequence of random variables [math] \{

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 1478440044974.jpg (31KB, 646x595px) Image search: [Google]
1478440044974.jpg
31KB, 646x595px
Let's say I have a sequence of random variables [math] \{ X_n \}_{n \in \mathbb{N}} [/math].

If I want to prove that there is a [math] j \in \mathbb{N} [/math] such that [math] X_j \in A [/math], is it enough for me to prove that [math] \mathbb{P}( \forall j: X_j \notin A) \to 0 [/math]?
>>
>>8476431
I'm not so sure about that. I would say that that convergence shows that probability of existence of such index j tends to 1.
Ask on stackexchange for safety.
>>
>>8476431
No.
>>
>>8476431
wouldn't you want to show that the probability is 0? Convergence doesn't mean that it will become 0 and I don't even know for what variable that you take to infinity you would have convergence.
>>
File: Untitled.png (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16KB, 640x480px
>>8476493
So here's the problem I'm having. I'm trying to prove that a Brownian motion is not a BV "function".

I got this idea to take a random partition, and then showing that by adding points to the partition, the total variation gets larger.

But here I need to have that there is at least one interval where the increment is negative, in an interval with positive incrementation.

I'm trying to show this by showing that the probability we won't find this goes to zero, as we make the partition of the sub-interval smaller.

The pic should explain it a bit more.

Any suggestions how I should word this?
>>
>>8476558
>partition of the sub-interval smaller
I mean to say: we make the mesh of the partition smaller by refining the partition.
>>
File: your bid.png (41KB, 543x909px) Image search: [Google]
your bid.png
41KB, 543x909px
>>
>>8476673
Holy fuck, thank you!!!

What book is this from?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.