[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can free will physically/biologically exist? By free will I mean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Daniel_dennett_Oct2008.jpg (249KB, 1920x1363px) Image search: [Google]
Daniel_dennett_Oct2008.jpg
249KB, 1920x1363px
Can free will physically/biologically exist? By free will I mean making conscious decisions.

The Libet experiment shows that some (maybe all) of our decisions are made subconsciously, before we are consciously aware of them.

I'm asking from a neuro-scientifically viewpoint, please keep philosophical discussion to a minimum.
>>
Become aware that you are making subconscious decisions and fight them. Then fight the subconscious decision that tells you to fight your subconscious descision. And so on.
>>
>>8475832
>Can free will physically/biologically exist? By free will I mean making conscious decisions.

In the colloquial sense we can make "conscious decisions" insofar as we are "aware" that we're doing so. However that doesn't entail anything dualistic or mysterious, so to speak, about this process we call "consciousness". Moreover, it doesn't imply that such conscious decisions result from the agency of a "free will" if by "free will" we mean something independent of physical causation and the material world. Our will is indeed free to the extent that our body and mind coincide, and hence, to the extent that our overall micro-physiological state (including our CNS) both determines our course of action, and produces and instantiate our "abstract" mental state.
>>
>>8475886
I.e. mental states exhibit free will precisely in the sense that our mind coincides with our nervous system and our nervous system determines how we behave.
>>
>>8475887
but isn't any decision you make just a reaction to a stimulus? if free will exists, there must be multiple possible reactions to any given stimulus, yet we are only able to observe one. how do you prove that there are multiple choices we could have made? i don't think that's possible
>>
>>8475886
how can you still call it "free will", when we actually just behave the way our brain processes given information.

Doesn't the concept of "freedom" imply that there are no strings guiding the process?

Yet, it is very much so that nothing but strings of past memories guide your every move.
>>
"Subconscious" is an umbrella term used by Positivists for processes that violate the dogma of the singular localized Self. To truly ponder the idea of free will one must truly ponder the idea of Self.
>>
>>8475893
We could clone someone and provide identical stimulus to each of the clones. If the clones react differently to the stimuli at any point, then we know free will exists. It's an experiment that could run indefinitely since most likely they'd respond the same way, but if we do get proof of a different response, then we'd know people have free will, but they just may be more predisposed to picking a basic route of action.
>>
your consciousness affects your subconsciousness

they are not two independent systems
>>
>>8475899

english please
>>
>>8475893

theres always multiple possible reactions to things but your brain/you always decides it in a deterministic way.

you cant prove or disprove free will. Im not sure it even makes sense as an idea. You want to prove that your choices are not determined? the only other alternative is that youre choices are randomness. And if choices are random thats not free will either. infact, sense of self requires determinism because all choices in free will have to be self-relevant and that in itself entails determinism
>>
>>8475832
May be the Computability theory allowed? Decide that you decide by random. Poof any subconscious involvement vanishes.
>>
>>8475936

you cant control subconscious involvement hence subconscious.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.