[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys I need an advice. 1st year PhD student here, asymmetric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1.gif (10KB, 300x204px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
10KB, 300x204px
Ok guys I need an advice.
1st year PhD student here, asymmetric organic synthesis.
My supervisor went mad, she expects me to carry out research in three big projects simultaneously. She keeps asking me everyday about the results but it is impossible to do three things at once in the lab. When I told her that it had no sense for me, she replied that I had to learn into multitasking. In my opinion it is much better to finish project A and then go to project B. She thinks it's better to do it simultaneously. Any advices?
>>
It's your research, ultimately you decide.
>>
>>8474567
what can this molecule do?
>>
>>8474583
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paclitaxel
>>
Superiors who expect you to complete something in a time frame that is obnoxiously short and therefore making it impossible are assholes. If you believe you are being genuinely over-worked and have rights to act against it, talk to her again and if she says the same thing, take it to the head of the dept/faculty.

Take this with a grain of salt though, because I'm still only an undergrad. But I understand the struggle of being swamped with lab work (Biochemistry major) and I'm only 3rd year.
>>
The trick is to start by making a list of tasks you need to do and then rank them in order of how much dick you would like to suck
>>
>>8474590
neat
>>
>>8474622
im not OP, i just find organic chemistry fascinating and difficult af
>>
Thanks everyone, OP here.
Tomorrow I am having a conversation with her so wish me good luck.
>>
>>8474642
I bet you think cooking is hard too
>>
>>8474691
finding a field that is not my own, difficult, gee whiz

I forgot one acquires knowledge via diffusion
>>
>>8474567
>it is impossible to do three things at once in the lab.
Impossible, or merely difficult?
She's likely putting you through your paces, testing your efficiency, potential, how much work she can delegate to you and expect you to accomplish, what your chances of successfully completing the program are, how you operate under stress, etc. The more efficiently you work the more frequently and likely you are to publish too, so she could be helping you out.
>>
http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2010/06/22/something-deeply-wrong-with-chemistry/

watch out for these type of asshole PIs

>>Tomorrow I am having a conversation with her so wish me good luck.

Good luck, though I don't expect her to change her attitude.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.