[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm sitting at work and my coworker and I were having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: science-of-gps.jpg (345KB, 904x641px) Image search: [Google]
science-of-gps.jpg
345KB, 904x641px
So I'm sitting at work and my coworker and I were having some argument about whether investing in space exploration is worth it.

What is /sci/'s take on this and why? Please discuss this. I'd like to know all the arguments and counterarguments and counter-counterarguments in length.

>The context of this question: My coworker and I were at work and the news that basically said "the new US president is going to neglect space exploration programs and everything related" came on, and I couldn't find any convincing arguments on the spot to sway my coworker from his position that "there is no practical point to space exploration right now and there are better things to focus on and invest in."
If possible I'd like to know what the most direct and immediate influences of the space exploration programs (and things similarly related) are; as well as the most practical effects of neglecting them in the short-term as well as long-term scenarios.
As such, any detailed analyses and practical explanations are more welcomed than a general answer.

To be more specific, what I am looking for in particular is arguments based on the most practical and immediate influences to date of space exploration programs. Listing products that these programs directly or indirectly brought is is a good place to start for the argument (or counter argument depending on which side you're taking). For example, cell signals, artificial limbs, better highway safety, chemical detection, firefighter gear, solar energy, water purification, better software, etc. are all products brought about by these programs; but even those are not immediately practical enough. The more recent and detailed examples there are, the more convincing the argument is going to be.
>>
>>8467549
Investing in space travel now increases our ability to space travel later.

Earth is also the cradle of humanity, and we can't stay in here forever.
>>
>>8467556
Obvious counter argument: That is an extremely long term investment and therefore not exactly necessary at this point, and there are plenty of other things that need our attention and resources.

OP here and I'm taking the side of investment, but even I can see that much of a counter argument. Are you even trying? /b/ did better with this question.
>>
You could maybe argue the case that the time to start increasing measures to explore space is a good thing to do now, just because of how popular space and technology currently is
>>
>>8467567
>because of how popular space and technology currently is
Not anymore. With the new US president, fundings for various scientific research institutions including but not limited to NASA and various university research partnerships are going to be cut.
>>
If anything, Trump will resurrect the joint Russo-American space exploration by maintaining good relations with them.
>>
>>8467580
Not gonna happen.

Have you not been paying attention? The newly elected president doesn't give a flying fuck about anything scientific, much less space programs. Nonetheless, what I'm talking about here is much more specific and practical aspects than just the space program. In fact, we could do away with the space program altogether, but the remaining problems related to it can have some profound effects. Mostly negative.
>>
>>8467549
Plenty off good points here. There are a vast number of technological advances that have come about as a result of space exploration, most of which you don't even realize had anything to do with space (digital cameras, for example). Just because we don't know all of the short-to-mid-term benefits of space exploration right now doesn't mean we won't find any new ones, and that only happens with the infrastructure in place to pursue it. Investing in space now gets us there. Long term, obviously, it has a lot of useful potential that people have been hashing out for forever.

It's also not a zero sum game. Money spent on space exploration isn't being taken from somewhere else that "needs it more." You could completely eliminate NASA's funding and throw it at some other government department, and it wouldn't make much of a dent. We spend so little on space exploration right now, compared to everything else, that your coworker is basically advocating feeding starving children by giving them the parsley garnish from your plate.

Pic related--it's the first photo ever taken on another planet, and it they didn't get it by mailing film back from Mars and dropping it off at CVS to be developed.
>>
>>8467580
Only if he gets to put a big gold "T" on the moon for everyone to see. And it'll be a new Space Race, not a "friendly cooperative effort."
>>
>>8467562
>not exactly necessary at this point
And if it ever becomes necessary and you're not ready, you're completely, utterly fucked.

The time to prepare is vastly longer than the time between detecting the problem and when you need the solution.

>there are plenty of other things that need our attention and resources.
Okay, why not just devote the entire budget to the single most important thing, if that's what you're worried about? Of course that's retarded, but where's the cutoff? Why is space below that cutoff?

New "urgent" problems will keep popping up and you have to be able to multitask.
>>
>>8467620
>New "urgent" problems will keep popping up and you have to be able to multitask

Exactly. It's a false dichotomy to (for example) say "why should we spend money on space when we have problems in the MIddle East," as if one can only exist to the exclusion of the other.
>>
>>8467574
And yet theres other countries in the world
>>
>>8467620
Not convincing. For a rudimentary guideline on how to sound convincing, please consult OP: >>8467549
Keep in mind here, I'm not even taking the side of the science investment deniers. But if I needed some overly general and vague speculations I could come up with perfectly good ones myself, maybe even better than the ones you proposed. With all due respect, this is not what I am looking for, which has been clearly specified and provided examples for in the OP.
And please be aware that we are using these arguments to talk to various types of people who might not have the habit of thinking on the same level as us, so clear and specific examples are necessary.

>>8467641
Sure there are. I come from one of those "other countries in the world" myself. However are most of them half as advanced in scientific research as the US supposedly has been? Probably not. And even if they are, that is no reason for the whole science community to just stand there and take this much of a hit. Did you just suggest exactly that, simply because the US is not the only nation to ever do science? I can't believe this is how my first time on /sci/ looks like. This is a science board, for Carl Sagan's sake.

>>8467613
Thanks for this reply. I was beginning to lose hope in humanity. You saved a tiny tiny portion of it. I'd ask you to go on, but really I need to go and take a breather right now. I might or might not be back, but I'll be sure to save your answer.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.