[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When you attended primary school, did they at any point explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

When you attended primary school, did they at any point explain what logic is? I mean, I was taught math but never thought of logic as the tool that makes it all work until recently.
>>
why do you think logic makes math work?
>>
>>8462639
Logic is what makes math work?

1+1=2

The logic is the " +" and the "=" without that it wouldn't be a math problem, all math is material and logic is a medium to present it on.
>>
>>8462672
those are symbols and rules. where is the logic required in that?
>>
>>8462676
Logic is a rule. Without that rule any problem becomes null, just like without those symbols any number problem cannot be solved like:
1 (no given rule) 1 (no given rule) 2. They're just numbers in a line without rules to govern their association, logic is the same in that without it nothing necessarily associates.

If I can use logic to come to a conclusion such as I put an apple with another apple then I have two apples, that means symbols and rules are a written representation of the logic used to come to that conclusion.

Logic is if/then, math is a representation of if/then made more complex because it's representing a given answer that logic would have come to without written representation.
>>
>>8462713
Well, that's what I think anyways. Am I in the wrong board?
>>
I suppose I could re word this as a question:

What comes first, reason or math? I think it's reason because without it math doesn't work. Am I rite or do I have it mixed up?
>>
this is not a philosophy board. i'd answer but people here are hostile to philosophy here and generally want scientism or ignorance over correctness.
>>
>>8462813
Well that's disheartening. I know this isn't a philosophy board but I figured this would be the place to discuss a question like this and attempt to come to a conclusion. I mean, I'm not surprised, it's a shitposting board with glimmers of good thoughts, discussions and ideas occasionally.

There's no /phil/ board though :(
>>
>>8462840
You can get away with some of it on /lit/, just be prepared for the devolution onto more " important " 20 posts in
>>
philosophy of science is a pretty cool topic.
>>
>>8462629
>did they at any point explain what logic is?

They haven't taught logic for quite some time in primary education.

Because then people would be able to figure shit out on their own.
>>
>>8462999
Good to know, thanks. I actually had a pretty nice political discussion in/ck/ the other day. Maybe oldfags are branching out into other, more obscure boards to escape the uptick in shit posting on their respective home boards.
>>
>>8463111
Nice trips and are you serious? Not as a discredit but because I never find people that share this opinion with me. I have thought for a few years now that if kids are taught logic either before or during arithmetic and some ways into algebra it would produce less of the "hurr when am I ever going to use this durrr".
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.