[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else went to a lower ranked university or did a subject they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1450672818023.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1450672818023.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
Who else went to a lower ranked university or did a subject they hated and regret it massively?

I went to my nearest university. I feel ripped off even though I paid literally nothing for it. Compared to good universities the courses were light on content and depth. In the UK all universities and subject courses arent standardised. You dont always have maths / physics / engineering students all taking the same Calc 1 (etc.) class in first year. You get "[Subject] for Engineers" and so on. So they feel free to skip shitloads of stuff (at the bad universities). They skip shitloads of stuff. I remember being in the third or fourth year of my degree, doing this really stamp collecty course and then having this crushing demoralised feeling when looking at the exam papers for Cambridges maths degree in third and fourth year. It was like staring at the secrets of the universe in comparison with my own course, which was a big fat joke.

I remember overhearing two students talking in my first year. One of them said that people who go to the library were "weird". Of course when the new shiny library opened up it was a normie haven. The old library was too small and run down yet had a lot of free space because nobody went there.

Of course your university matters a lot for how many job interviews you get. Why does /sci/ or /biz/ never mention this factor? Someone who does history of art at cambridge would find it easier becoming an investment banker / other high paying job than someone who does mathematics at a lower ranked place.
>>
Also I hated my subject. Engineering degrees, even at good places, are, at best, just introductory chemistry / physics / mathematics introductory classes along with a shitload of stamp collecting corporate wagecuck training courses after the first year or two. Who the hell cares about that crap? Theres nothing fundamental about it. It is telling that Harvard and Oxford dont offer Engineering degrees, they offer Engineering Science degrees. They agree with me. Only fucking monkeys go to university to learn skills for jobs.

Someone with a physics or mathematics degree can do a PhD in engineering but not vice versa. That sums it up. Why would you want to limit your options with an engineering degree? For an engineering job, when all the smart engineers go in to higher paying finance jobs? top kek.

[Offensive paragraph] At universities like Cambridge and MIT, where students all enter with equally perfect grades and high intelligence, engineering has zero reputation for being difficult. Maybe it has more grunt work than other degrees. But at shit universities where people with varying levels of intelligence attend, many lower class (not judging them, but they do have less career advice than others) people go in to engineering because they see it as leading straight to a job. These are the types of people who get scared by Calc 2 and claim that it is a conspiracy to make them fail. That is why you hear so much about the "difficulty" of engineering.

Notice that I am not denigrating engineering PhDs or research, of course they have intellectual worth. But I have said that you would have to be stupid / uninformed to think that physics / maths degrees are not the best option if you plan to do an engineering PhD. On a side note, many engineering PhDs seem to be funded by corporations in what seems like a clear case of outsourcing work to PhD students at stipends at the same levels as low paying graduate jobs.There is a cucky dimension to it that cant be denied.
>>
>>8461347
Nice copy pasta from last week.
>>
Went to a State school for undergrad and got a degree for free. My masters is from a top 10 program. No one cares about my undergrad anymore.
>>
Just go to a really good grad school if it bothers you so much.
>>
Cambridge/Oxford aren't always the most advanced in terms of course content. I know of a geography student who compared their module to that of the cambridge geogs and found that they had covered a lot more, since their course was one of the top geography courses. It's not always about the university ranking, sometimes it's about the course ranking.
>>
What are you looking for, OP, that you repost this agai and again.
Hoe about you get over your mentality and start from the now and from what you have and where you can go. Done is done, you're not going to feel better by rationalizing more
>>
>>8461347
>>8461349
I went to a medium-ranked engineering-oriented private school. Regret it because I changed to physics, but I didn't have the extracurriculars for a top tier undergrad. Degrees in pure science from anywhere but a top university aren't worth anything.
>>
>>8461349
>Also I hated my subject. Engineering degrees, even at good places, are, at best, ... a shitload of stamp collecting corporate wagecuck training courses ... .
What courses do you mean by that?

>Someone with a physics or mathematics degree can do a PhD in engineering but not vice versa.
Incorrect. I have seen it happen in Europe and one of the research partners of my professor has a degree in EE and he is currently Professor of Physics in the US.

You're probably at a shit place or you're actually some freshmen troll. Instead of lamenting about the courses maybe you should have done something with your time.

> physics / maths degrees
It can be a good choice. It depends on how much you're willing to learn on your own and what subfield inside engineering you're interested in.
Lot of physicists are a joke when it comes to actually solving problems in a working physical system or when you need to get creative.

Similar stuff can be said about engineers. Not every engineer wants to spend the first 3 years learning physics especially when it entails stuff they won't necessarily need. They learn it anyway if they're talented and/or if they pursue a degree higher than BSc.
BSc level physics is way too easy without teaching you anything deep for a lot of competent people. You can always read those EMF books.

> But at shit universities where people with varying levels of intelligence attend,... These are the types of people who get scared by Calc 2 and claim that it is a conspiracy to make them fail.
True. Doesn't matter though. The difficulty of engineering is having the ability to (creatively) solve problems and design stuff in a way so it works. Some people can do that , they can think, some can't.

>>8461347
Start learning on your own (books). If you can't learn basics shit auto-didactically all by yourself then you probably won't be able to do anything harder than babby-tier shit. Stop blaming, start doing shit, consult your prof.
>>8461383
This.
>>
I'm at a shitty university. Not even in the top 50, but at least it's accredited the big 3. I'm in the third year of my ME course in the UK, will be graduating with a bachelor's, and have a 1 year work placement at the Cobham headquarters. I'll be completing my Integrated Master's (1 level above a bachelor's but not a true post-graduate qualification) in the year after the work placement. What do now?

I'm considering an MSc in Applied Mathematics at Imperial or Propulsion & Engine Systems at Southampton. Or does anyone know how difficult it is to be accepted to ivy league universities from the UK?
>>
You should have majored in literature so when you whined about your degree at least it would have been well written.
>>
Is worlwide top 50 university good?
>>
>>8461858
Depends in which country the university is. Most top 100 universities are in US but I don't think that most of them would stand a chance when they get compared to a top 5 country-specific university.
>>
>>8462080
Netherlands
>>
>>8462124
There aren't any Dutch unis in the top 50 though
>>
>>8462145
what ranking site are you supposed to use? thought i saw Utrecht or Delft at top 50 or 100 but it was a while ago
>>
File: 1468441842317.jpg (50KB, 480x498px) Image search: [Google]
1468441842317.jpg
50KB, 480x498px
>>8461347
/sci/ isn't your blog
eat shit!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.