[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hypothetical, /sci/. You're stuck on a deserted planet.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: conical_pint_glass1.jpg (24KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
conical_pint_glass1.jpg
24KB, 425x425px
Hypothetical, /sci/.
You're stuck on a deserted planet. There's shit for metal resources and coincidentally you don't start with any electronics.
Conveniently, you know how to survive and build things. You know how to make wooden tools, you know how to make bricks and mortar, and you know how to smelt metals.. that you can find.

Problem, though. The deserted planet is shit for metals. Like, if you want conductive metals in any real concentration, you're shit out of luck. You can get adequate nutrition from the soil with plants and farm animals there, but mining would be incredibly inefficient. You need something other than copper, iron, mercury or silver/gold for wires.

You need to build devices, no matter how crude or analog.

How do you make electronics with a shortage of metal? Remember, you can make anything. You just lack metals. You can make stuff out of glass or brick. What would you use?

There's precious stones, but shit for copper
>>
>>8459113
Carbon is highly conductive too. I'd just do all the circuits from carbon welding.
>>
>>8459122
Fascinating.
Do you think you could figure out a way to bridge the tool gap lacking metals?

If not, that's okay. It's just a hypothetical.

I'd been thinking of carbon engineering/smithing, but wasn't sure if that only comes after developing metal tools. In theory, you'd already have a perfect understanding of the science to do it yourself.
>>
Doped semiconductors will do the job. Also some polymers are cunductive, just not fast enough for RF applications.
>>
>>8459113
You can't have a planed without metals.
Hell, even gas giants have a metallic core.
>>
>>8459171
You know, I'd heard the word polymer before, but never realized what it was.

So what sort of electronics could a culture with shit for access to metals make? Could they make transistors? Could they make anything approaching an Apple II or Commodore 64 computer?
Any sort of radio for communication without a satellite?
>>
I think conductors would be the least of your worries. Without iron and steel (or any materials with similar properties) you're not going to be able to build more than basic tools. You don't even have anything with the toughness of steel, let alone all its other useful properties. Modern heavy industry could probably exist without electronics but definitely not without steel.
>>
>>8459179
Sure, mine to the core to get your metals
>>
>>8461082
Stone
Diamond ?
>>
>>8459113
>There's shit for metal resources
>The deserted planet is shit for metals
>>8459222
>culture with shit for access to metals
>>
>>8461253
Stone will crumble under sustained vibration and is very heavy. What would you make a steam turbine out of without metals? What about driveshafts and bearings?
>>
>>8459113
Huh.

You weren't asking this question on /tg/, were you?
>>
>plants
>life of any kind
>no metallic elements
does not compute
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.