[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /sci/'s usual response to the problem of induction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: hume[1].png (94KB, 200x280px) Image search: [Google]
hume[1].png
94KB, 200x280px
What is /sci/'s usual response to the problem of induction? Is it something that does not really bother you?
>>
>>8454720
That's the one that the axiom of infinity cannot be proven via first principles right?

The inductive set and naturals model a very large finite set pretty well without worrying about just how big that very large set is.
Sure you could prove that induction works on every finite set via first principles...but I'm lazy and that sounds boring.
ne?
>>
>>8454747

>he hasn't read Hume
>>
>>8454720

>If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.
>>
Not really. I don't grip to ideals of purity of reason.
>>
>>8454720
Obviously there's no response.

The problem is unsolvable. In this world, you're stuck guessing.
>>
>>8454720
Hume's right, we pretty much accept it as it is even though it's fallacious.
>>
>>8455697

>there's no response
>The problem is unsolvable
>You're stuck guessing

If your premise were correct, its own terms would claim itself unprovable. That's the solution by the way. This:

>>8455685
>>
File: pepe.gif (1MB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.gif
1MB, 499x499px
>>8454720
This is why pure mathematics is the only knowledge worth pursuing.

In pure mathematics, you can know something with 100% certainty without having to resort to handwavy bullshit like "muh evidence!" or "muh models!" How does it feel to know that the entirety of all scientific knowledge based on inductive arguments is LITERALLY invalid, and therefore useless? Anyone who isn't studying pure mathematics is wasting their time trying to understand something that is 100% impossible to be understood.
>>
>>8455699
>If your premise were correct, its own terms would claim itself unprovable.

So?

I don't need to prove it by deduction to claim that it is true.
>>
>>8455709
It's like you're from upside down world.

Mathematics isn't knowledge. You are pursuing a maze of your own construction. It's naval gazing.

Knowledge is what you get when you successfully model actual reality.
>>
>>8455734
>implying mathematics doesn't exist in reality

wew lad
>>
>>8455735
That's not what I implied.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.