[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I get a paper that I've spent two years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: rwrrr.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
rwrrr.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
How the fuck do I get a paper that I've spent two years on Epilepsy published/ peer review when my participant pool consists of 75% females?
>>
>>8454163
Delet males and call it
"Epilepsy in females"
>>
>>8454164
but that removes 25% of my applicant pool, which consists of only 220 applicants altogether
>>
>>8454168
Still 165 people. What's it about?
>>
>>8454169
The thesis in a sense is that a much simpler method could be applied to asses the genesis of one's epileptic seizures, which makes the treatment from a neurologists perspective a lot easier.
>>
>>8454185
Seems to me that 165 people is more than enough for that. You're not testing a drug.
Ask your advisor(s) what they think
>>
>>8454169
>>8454185
And even though Epilepsy isnt gender specific, my research has been on epilepsy not just epilepsy in females.
>>
>>8454189
I assume you can't just get 50 or so males?
How long does the assessment take?
>>
>>8454188
My advisor is fucking confused too, and if this doesnt get published we're fucked for grant money. Even though this could prove as a breakthrough in the treatment and diagnosis of epilepsy.
>>
>>8454163
Cant you get more male participants to offset the balance? If not, can you try showing that the gender effect is minimal and hene the bias isnt all that important?
>>
>>8454191
It's long, and the all the applicants were all white Australians (despite my university being in the US) because my advisor had an in with some higher-ups in the academic field.
>>
>>8454197
>Cant you get more male participants to offset the balance?
It would be a massive bitch and possibly pollute our current data sets.
>If not, can you try showing that the gender effect is minimal and hene the bias isnt all that important?
This is currently the best option.
>>
>>8454199
lmao what the fuck man your advisor's an idiot

Anyway I do Cochrane reviews stuff (anyone can), and I've seen plenty of studies that are mostly based on one sex but applied to the general population.

Final suggestion is to attempt getting it published and in the meantime find more males to participate.
>>
>>8454205
He's a tenured professor at university, runs a clinical private practice for psychiatry and neurology and practices family medicine. Im not even kidding. He leaves the work to be done by the small body of research students. He's a good guy but fuck, for some reason he really wants this paper to focus on Epilepsy from a pool of applicants with even sexual distribution.
>>
>>8454218
Then why the literal fuck did he choose Australians as the demographic?
Makes no sense to limit your pool so dramatically

Best of luck anyways
>>
>>8454226
Because he's an Aussie. Here's the running title for the paper. "Managing Epilepsy: Understanding neurological and environmental influences on semi-partial seizures-An Australian Perspective"
>>
>>8454163
Aren't they pushing for research that includes women and minorities as test subjects? Either way I'd do some stats and try to demonstrate an insignificant effect of gender like someone else said.
>>
>>8454239
Last resort it seems. Anyone know of any publications that focus on epilepsy and behavior, that I perhaps wouldnt? Might as well give it a shot
>>
>>8454163
You don't. You stop bashing your head against the peer review wall and become a comfy unemployed hobo instead.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.