[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to bult a basic 2 post and beam structure or perhaps an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 2000px-Bending.svg.png (74KB, 2000x1188px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Bending.svg.png
74KB, 2000x1188px
I want to bult a basic 2 post and beam structure or perhaps an A frame structure.

For hanging a heavy bag.

How can i calculate the max load i can place on the beam for varying laminates of wood of varying lengths?

For instance 10 foot or 16 foot length beam made up of two or three sistered (secured together length wise) 2x6s or 2x8s?

Also how does one practically visualize psi or psf? If the bag is on a 1/2 inch eye beam that is 4 inches long, is the whole weight of the bag on 2 square inches?

Thanks
>>
>>8445920
Visit Mechanics 2
>>
>>8445920

Please use normal units, not your beam eater strange inches.
>>
>>8445930

Brb will become an engineer.
>>
you dont want to just calculate that the beam will hold. you also want that the beam doesnt bend under the pressure (or it will look like shit)
>>
>>8445930
what is mechannics 2? a book? a site?
>>
>>8446581
A meme
>>
>>8445920
>wood
We were only taught failure criteria in steel.
Also fuck off with your bullshit imperial units.
>>
>>8445920
Use steel pipe
>>
>>8446623
the difference between wood and steel, besides obviously its resistance, is that wood is an anisotropic material, which means that it has difference resistances from different sides, you have to be careful not to fuck up which side youre considering or your structure will fail

>>8446629
do this, just use a 10 cm steel pipe and you can put a car on top of it
>>
Calculate the force per lenght distribution. With it, you can draw the shear force diagram. And after that you can draw the moment diagram.
>>
>>8446663
that still doesnt tell him how much the beam will deform, with that calculation you can have a beam that supports the structure but undergoes non plastic deformation
>>
1. Find the Yield stress of the wooden your using. This is the ultimate strength before plastic deformation.

2. Calculate the stress on the beams. If the stress exceeds the yield stress, add more beams or get a better material.

3. As the beam is in the linear region, PL/AE to find the deformation.

4. Switch to metric units
>>
>>8446702
>1. Find the Yield stress of the wooden your using. This is the ultimate strength before plastic deformation.

oh , so if the bar undergoes non plastic deformation then its ok? haha you must be an engineer to have such a shitty non advanced non philosophical non artistic non spiritual understanding of estructures.

just use this

http://www.aps.anl.gov/APS_Engineering_Support_Division/Mechanical_Operations_and_Maintenance/Calculators/ElasticBeam2.html

machines can solve all structural problems since like, forever, structural engineers are obsolete we just need programmers.

oh and also architects ALWAYS gets the girls haha feels good to be suprior race, sorry you had to study all those years to become a calculator
>>
>>8446757
I shitposting a couple of lines at most, but logorrhea of this magnitude is just heart-wrenching for the reader
>>
>>8446796
*I understand
>>
>>8446796
he's right you know tl;dr you failed to account for non plastic deformation which can still happen
>>
>>8446702
> wood composites
> plastic deformation
>>8445920
> anisotropic materials
blegh
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.