[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have an intuitive definition when two units are multiplied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Anyone have an intuitive definition when two units are multiplied to create a combined unit?

It's pretty easy to find an intuitive sense for division, such as velocity. For every interval of time, there is a change in position. How about something like Force? for every second squared there is a change in "Kg*m",wtf does the latter mean?
>>
for every acceleration of a kg there's a force
>>
most of my intuition comes from recognizing the two chains

1) position --> speed --> acceleration
2) force --> work/energy --> power
>>
>>8443865
ignoring the seconds, what does kg × meters explicitly mean?

Or how about work, Newton times displacement, what is the intuiviatw sense behind that? For division it's "per".

>>8443870
Yeah I always thought of things in that order. But work is the integral of force and displacement, and power is the slope of work with respect to time. And I'm having trouble finding intuitive sense for an integral, or multiplication between two units, so I'm kind of stumped on force/work.
>>
>>8444371
pull a box with 1 N force for 1 m distance, work is 1 Nm = 1 J
Do it in 1 s and the power is 1 J/s = 1 W
>>
>>8444387
this. Usually it comes from an integral of some kind, integrating over time, space, or distance.
>>
>>8444387
Thanks, I get what's going on, I geuss it's just me then. When I think of constant acceleration, it means velocity is increasing linearly, however, when acceleration is zero, velocity is constant. But, in the case for a work and force relationship, I guess it's simple to say that if there is no work there is no force. And if work increases, force increases proportionally to the increase in work?

Sounds simple, but, I seem to have trouble grasping this relationship.
>>
>>8444568
Keep solving problems, and keep learning, and eventually it will just "click". It's the same for everyone who's ever struggled with something in maths or physics.
>>
>>8443838
>1 Newton (kg*m/s^2)
It means that 1 N is the amount force required to accelerate 1 kg of mass by 1 m/s^2.
>1 Joule (kg*m)
1 J is the amount of work/energy required to displace 1 kg of mass by 1 m.
>1 Watt (J/s)
It's the amount of work/energy required to displace 1 kg of mass, by 1 m every 1 s.
>>
>>8443838
Consider the moment of say an arm about a point.
Its pretty intuitive that a long arm, with little force results in a large moment of rotation, and the other way around. Thinking, math and experimentation argues this is F*m
>>
>>8443838
Think of it this way; Kg*m/s = momentum, so (Kg*m/s)/s represents change in momentum over time.
>>
>>8445905
>1 Joule (kg*m)
J=N*m.

One Joule is the amount of energy required to move an object one metre against a force of one Newton.

Mass doesn't come into it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.