[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Many-Worlds really the best way to understand what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: ka.png (84KB, 544x352px) Image search: [Google]
ka.png
84KB, 544x352px
Is Many-Worlds really the best way to understand what's going on in quantum mechanics? Taking the formalism literally seems a whole lot more conceptually palatable and far less spooky than things like action-at-a-distance, hyperplane dependency, retrocausality, macroscopic superpositions, etc etc. Why does the idea scare so many people when the alternatives are far worse?
>>
because physicists like to feel like they're unique special snowflakes
>>
>>8443656
>physics
>>>/x/
>>
>>8443656

>Why does the idea scare so many people

Scare in what sense?

Might be reading you wrong here, but it looks like you are assuming that if someone doesn't hold many-worlds to be true, it must be because the idea "scares" him or her ("scares" as used by you might merely refer to something the person finds uncomfortable to consider).

But might it not also be possible that someone is perfectly comfortable considering the full implications of many-worlds, and simply finds the notion unconvincing? It is both unprovable and unfalsifiable, which, to me, makes it very difficult to care about. Might not other people have similar opinions?
>>
>>8443656
consistent histories is a better theory all around, and some deeper QFT fields seem to . . . "enrich" what the statistical interpretation really says about the universe.

Most physicists only pick up on the many worlds hypothesis because they read too much sci-fi as kids, and the math is as palatable as anything string theory is doing.
>>
>>8443686
>and the math is as palatable as anything string theory is doing.

I think you underestimate the math involved in String Theory.
>>
There is only one world.
There are many stories.
>>
>>8443656
Who cares? This is a question for philosophers, not scientists.

A quantum state is an element of a Hilbert space. It changes over time via unitary evolution derived from the system's Hamiltonian. When you measure it, a projection operator is applied which can only be predicted probabilistically. Why do I need to even think about the ideas of the Copenhagen interpretation or a MWT?
>>
>>8443713
not a statement of difficulty anon, more a statement of social acceptance.

I realize many worlds hasn't produced many precise formulations, certainly not as many as decoherence has led to, but my general statement is that it can be swallowed despite lack of testable evidence.

given that many worlds was tacitly assumed as part of the philosophical basis for string theory during it's development would serve to confirm this for me at least.
>>
>>8443656
>worries why electron goes left or right
>doesn't worry when universes pop up left and right

if this isn't religion, nothing is
>>
File: Immanuel_Kant_(painted_portrait).jpg (151KB, 964x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Immanuel_Kant_(painted_portrait).jpg
151KB, 964x1388px
>>8443746
>not being a true seeker of knowledge
>1781+235
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.