[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After taking AP Chemistry, I'm considering a double major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: chemistry1.jpg (19KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
chemistry1.jpg
19KB, 360x240px
After taking AP Chemistry, I'm considering a double major in Chemistry and Psychology. Can any chem majors on /sci/ share their experiences with their classes/difficulty?
>>
>>8435058
First two years for the standard track are general "inorganic", and then organic. With maybe an analytical course thrown in.

If you are still taking, or passed AP chem, essentially the first year will be a repeat of this. It will be EZ mode, as it should be.

Organic is very different. The lecture exams are extremely abstract, involving only theory, no math in my experience. The labs are meh cuz its hard to get accurate results in micro experimentation with shitty equipment. Overall not bad if you're not a brainlet.
Then, they remove the curtain. It turns out, all the foundational concepts you were taught in gen Chen were a fucking lie. It's all fucking lies. Your degree is really just a physics degree where people just like to do stuff macroscopically, with the occasional journey into biology.

Chenical Energetics and dynamics, aka thermo dynamics and quantum physics are not kys tier, but it will be a rude awakening if you haven't been paying attention in class.

Last year is generally biochem and physics Chen part 2. At this point they'll have you take analytical, which basically show you how to do experiments or produce results with accuracy, and show you why its hard to do.

After that, its off to grad school wishing you had done a chemical engineering or physics undergrad. Or you manage to squeeze in somewhere at a lab cuz you somehow made it through without acquiring autism and disregarding basic networking
>>
File: 1283167231348.jpg (212KB, 1341x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1283167231348.jpg
212KB, 1341x1281px
>>8435058

A chemistry major is:

>Year 1:
Calculus 1&2
Gen Chem 1&2 + Lab <or AP Chem>
Analytical Chem

>Year 2:
Calculus 3 and Linear Algebra
Orgo 1&2 + Labs
Physics for Premeds 1&2

>Year 3:
Inorganic 1&2
Pchem 1&2 + Lab
Instrumental Analysis

>Year 4:
<fucking nothing>

The hardest part is fucking up a lab near the end and having to waste hours restarting it at the beginning.

If you want it to be less of a meme then take biology, biochem, genetics, big boys physics, statistics or jump the shark and do ChemE.
>>
>>8435109
>acquiring autism
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>8435141
What do you mean by less of a meme? Is there some sort of stigma associated with chem majors?
>>
>>8435141

you're not going to find many chem majors who have taken linear algbra
>>
File: Check.png (14KB, 686x466px) Image search: [Google]
Check.png
14KB, 686x466px
Chem thread, deadly.

Can one of you guys check this mechanism for me?
>>
>>8435263
It's recommended in my school that chem majors take Linear Algebra instead of Calc 3
>>
>>8435058
college/career advice threads do not belong on /sci/, see the sticky

janny pls enforce
>>
Psychology is bs. Just do EE.
>>
>>8435505

Do you want us to readjust your bib too while on the subject of infantile behaviour?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.