[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, /sci/? And don't be cunty about it, either. See

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Well, /sci/?

And don't be cunty about it, either. See how well you can do.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/elements
>>
Game Paused 03:34 Remaining
60/118

doubt I can do better then that. I think it's pretty good considering that I'm studying engineering.
>>
>>8434899

Thank you for an honest reply, and thanks for playing!

I used to memorize them back in hs so re-learning the table wasn't difficult. Part of the appeal is that they're about to officially re-name the last four elements (the quiz accepts these new names as alternate entries, atm).

I think it's very interesting that copper, silver and gold are all in the same group, /in that order/. Copper is also the principal constituent of bronze; I was wondering if any chemists could say a bit more about whatever other commonalities these well-known transition metals have with one another - I assume they're all relatively soft metals. The modern convention of bronze/silver/gold medals in the Olympics got started in the very early 20th c., this seems to have come after the recognition of the metals being in the same group c. 1871 by Mendelev, in an amended table (per wiki).

Did any historical understandings of gold as "best", silver as "second-best" and bronze or similar as "third best" precede Mendelev's arrangement?
>>
>>8434852
47/110

I'm a chemist.
>>
>>8434982

Any comments about bronze/silver/gold belonging to the same group? Has this ever come up for you in some meaningful way, either in study or work?
>>
i only managed 103. f block metals and all the stable for nanosecond shit I don't remember really got me.
>>
>>8435000
>bronze
>element
No. Don't do that. As far as copper, gold, and silver are concerned however...

The three "precious" metals are in the same group, and all three hold similar electric properties. No, this doesn't matter to me, because most of my work is in polymers.
>>

physics major
>>
>>8435013

yes, I knew that, a slip-up on my part. thanks for comment.
>>
>>8434852
I managed to get 28/118.
>>
107/118 and 06:04 remaining
>>
>>8434899
61/118

phd student chemistry. had to keep some of my pride, but too tired beyond the bare minimum

>>8435182
literal autism
>>
>>8434852
64/118.
I spent the last 12 mins staring at my keyboard desperately trying to spark my memory by combining different letters.
I study biochemistry.
>>
OP here. As I expected, actual people in the hard sciences, esp. chemistry, can't be fucked to memorize it. Interestingly, this is at odds with medicine, where people are expected to cold-memorize certain rafts of data. Although IIRC biochemists have a great big Qabalah that they are expected to memorize.

Anyway I've been meaning to test something about myself and so I made this just now without looking anything up. I invite any anons to look for mistakes, I'm sure there's several. I haven't cold-memorized the abbreviations, for example, nor was I totally sure about color assignations, but I wanted to try a guess for every field of information.

This type of thing can be legitimately derided as pointless memorization, but on the other hand, actually knowing the basic information of the periodic table can lead one towards certain historical knowledge, which is part of the appeal of this type of trivial activity. I've been alluding to the (bronze) copper-silver-gold thing for one. Also if you pay attention, you know that certain elements are "known" for certain things. Americium is used in smoke detectors. Radium infamously destroyed a number of young women about a hundred years ago, in many horrible ways. Last I checked, Tungsten had a higher vaporization point than any other element, an interesting datum.
>>
File: test.png (142KB, 1809x839px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
142KB, 1809x839px
>>8435570

My atttempt at a cold-retelling (I failed to post above).
>>
>>8434852

57 elements

Need to brush up on my Lanthanide series of elements
>>
>>8434852
49/118
got absolutely none of the Lanthanides
>>
>>8435620
>>8435660

The lanthanides seem to be the most boring and least consequential, historically speaking. I was able to list a property of Americium (an actinide) above. I even know about the "fuck yeah bismuth" meme. Even uranium and plutonium are historically important actinides.

I can't think of important things that lanthanides are used for. it's the hard slog.
>>
>>8435660
54/118
same.
>>8435672
is neodymium in magnets?
only one that looks familiar

> no thorium
>>
>>8434852
>don't be cunty
as though "cunty" is not the
most-cunty word EVAR, fgt pls
>>
>>8434852

85 (and I'd have scored higher if I hadn't wasted time unsuccessfully trying to spell Molybdenum). But I completely forgot about tantalum!

And I'm a civil engineer.
>>8435672
The lanthanides (which along with scandium and yttrium, are known as rare earths) are very useful. Or at least, some of them are.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.