[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been told a couple times that code will end, event

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: AI_2-2.jpg (485KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
AI_2-2.jpg
485KB, 1600x1066px
I've been told a couple times that code will end, eventually in a few decades we won't need to know how to code to make programs thanks to machine learning

Now, as a CS student, that will probably affect my life significantly

How long will we need programmers?

Also, obligatory wired article:
>https://www.wired.com/2016/05/the-end-of-code/
>>
>>8434009
>I've been told a couple times that code will end, eventually in a few decades we won't need to know how to code to make programs thanks to machine learning
All prophecies that you read in magazines, online or offline, are bullshit designed to make you react in the way the author wants.
>>
>>8434009

>I've been told a couple times that code will end, eventually in a few decades we won't need to know how to code to make programs thanks to machine learning

That's pretty retarded. Neural networks are what you use when you don't have a good way to solve a problem directly. Speech recognition and self-driving cars are great uses for neural networks; in both cases there would be too many details involved to try to explicitly program everything. Using a neural network to try to create something that will run once each morning, query information from a database, put it into a file, and email it to a distribution list would be a terrible use for neural networks. If the thing you're trying to do is a well defined process or user interface, using neural networks would at best be a huge waste of time just to loosely approximate behavior you could've programmed directly and exactly, and you'd also end up then with a solution that's way more difficult to troubleshoot later on since it learned by training sets rather than through a set of rules you can understand its behavior from.
>>
>>8434018

Also this. Part of it is just clickbait, but it also sounds like part of it is this author has some resent for programmers who automate other people's jobs and is trying to get back at them by spreading the meme that neural networks should be turned to as an alternative to writing any sort of code:

>Analysts have already started worrying about the impact of AI on the job market, as machines render old skills irrelevant. Programmers might soon get a taste of what that feels like themselves
>>
>>8434009
>I've been told a couple times that code will end
You shouldn't believe what people tell you unless they prove it.
Neural networks doesn't solve problems, they only tune your algorithm using tons of variables to find the best set of parameters. They are useless when the answer isn't simply subjective, like check if it's dog on picture or recognize words in speech.
>>
>>8434009
Who the fuck is going to code the AI?
>>
>>8434131
>if God exists, who created God?
>>
I remember long ago when SQL was touted as the end of programming. It was a language so close to English that managers could write their own programs to retrieve information from databases, eliminating the need for the majority of programmers. It just created a market for SQL programmers. Likewise AI will develop their equivalents of neurosis, requiring a type of programmer-psychologist hybrid to figure out what went wrong. Less sophisticated neural nets will need someone to debug the parts that get infested with poor quality data or faulty logic that it insists is good.
>>
>>8434018
I dunno man when the person who says it is super clever it's hard not to take it seriously
>>
>>8434207

>SQL was touted as the ens of programming

lol. Today not only do most normies not know any SQL, but most of them can't even use the no code drag and drop user interfaces built around SQL like SSRS Repirt Builder. And then you see department heads getting suckered into paying for licenses to use shit like Tableau which is just even more wrapping around the SQL they should've learned how to work with in the first place. That said I can see why people would've thought that a long time ago given that most of the code I write does end up being different transactions involving embedded SQL commands. In normalfagland Excel is still the 'database' of choice.
>>
>>8434207
SQL was a mistake.
Who the fuck thought it will be a good idea to make english-like programing language with fixed syntax and without any neural network to parse it.
>>
>>8434207
>programmer-psychologist hybrid
I am no longer excited for the future
>>
>>8434009
Who's gonna program the programs that program
>>
>>8434009
Won't matter to you. The programming languages you know already have a half life
>>
>>8434009
This article is so dumb and it is so obviously trying to stroke the cock of the presumed CS-informed readers. Also known as "people who know how to code but don't do any work in the industry, as they comparatively know shit".

I mean this. The article starts calling programmers the "coder elite". How "coders run the world".

WHAT THE FUCK

Programmer is a fucking labor job! What the fuck? I can't believe CS people are this fucking delusional.

>hurr durr I learned how to print some words in girlswhocode.com, now I'm part of the world elite!

God damn. This is why I wish we turned CS classrooms into gas chambers. Why did CS fags had to get into my industry and turn it into such pop culture bullshit?
>>
>>8434743

>SQL was a mistake.

No. SQL has been a wildly successful tool for database management. I can't even think of a more clearcut case of an undisputed domain standard than SQL is for database management.

>without any neural network to parse it.

What?
>>
>>8434131
a smert persn
>>
You could literally make a better case for fucking visual/diagram programming and excel sheets making programmers obsolete. The moment an AI can interpret some computer-illiterate person who describes what he wants we'll have other things to worry about.
>>
>>8434774
>Why did CS fags had to get into my industry and turn it into such pop culture bullshit?
I don't think it's the CS fags who did that.
>>
>>8434131
The AIs will maintain each other's code
>>
>>8434834
But they are? CS people make the biggest chunk of people who are semi-informed about programming. They turned programming into a popular subject.

If programming still a really niche subject known to mathematicians, engineers and scientists (and very few of them at that) then programming would have no place in pop culture.

I mean, what writer is going to write an article about a topic less than 0.001% of the populaton knows or cares about?

But now that the CS retards are an audience, and a really gullible one (just look at how OP swallowed that article whole), shitty papers like wired have an outlet to talk complete nonsense FOR PROFIT.
>>
>>8434789
It was successful, but it's really hard to work with when you do large projects.
It's so uncomfortable to work with that everyone have to use ORMs anyway. I used to work using SQL at job but after I discovered things like Speedment, everything become so easy. Working with databases should look like these libraries, not like talking to a self checkout machine.

>What?
The only way english-like interface can be useful is if databases had an AI to summarize data according to your request. You could just build queries using natural language.
>>
>>8434965

SQL is literally the most convenient thing I ever have to write code around. I don't understand how anyone could not like it. It's the most intuitively structured yet still powerful abstract tool I know of.
>>
>>8434009
Forever. It just might mean less of them as certain advancements are made. Or it might mean more of them. Predictions of what tech and knowledge we will have in the future are notoriously unreliable.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.