[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mars has no molten core and essentially no magnetic field. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 8

File: spacex-its-enceladus.jpg (58KB, 1000x566px) Image search: [Google]
spacex-its-enceladus.jpg
58KB, 1000x566px
Mars has no molten core and essentially no magnetic field. The moment a direct on solar flare/cme hits the mars base everyone has cancer. But apparently material engineers at NASA have a few inches of material thats supposed to do the same thing as 60 miles of atmosphere and a few trillion tons of spinning molten rock.

If you think this is a good idea, I could literally put forth a better argument for fucking venus.

Why can't they just wait and plan out a proper titan spaceport? Elon Musk actually thinks he can do shit on the moons of jupiter which is straight up fucking retarded. Billionaire CEOs should stick to batman suits instead of colonizing desert planets.
>>
>>8431456
SpaceX is just the worlds biggest kickstarter
Nothing you can do but sit back and watch it slowly fall apart
>>
If the stuff works, why not go to Mars? They'll certainly get the field testing they need if they strap some to the next rover that heads out that way.
>>
>>8431463
Because its not sustainable. He's going to use all the surface water before we have a chance.

Titan is much more viable in the long term, and will actually help colonize mars later on. For now there just needs to be an unmanned communications base there.
>>
>>8431467
Why Titan in particular? It's not like we'd ever be able to do manned operations on the surface, considering the <100K temps and the Nitrogen/Methane atmosphere, which means we might as well pick any other large solid object to work on. Yeah, it'd be cool to do some research on that moon, but actually living there seems kinda pointless.
>>
>>8431503
cryogenics my friend. 100 lbs is 14 lbs there. But with hyperloops and superconductive temperatures, you have all the gravity you want. This can be used for gravity while sleeping, in addition to launch support. Since titan has weak gravity and dense atmosphere you could probably even project shit into space.

The superconductivity also works for setting up wind turbines at its polar vortex, enough power to heat the hell out of an subsurface base insulated by the ice.

The liquid water ocean that may be ~60 miles deep could supply hydrogen fuel for space launches, which easily could be stored in a liquid state. It also leaves oxygen for breathing, and combusting all those plentiful ethanes.

Saturn is its own solar system, and having an easy way off the moon means you have access to 50+ neighbors with their own resources. Saturn's magnetic field also protects them all, and will shoot you to earth or the asteroid belt.
>>
>>8431515
You'd have to send something to figure out how deep the ice goes before making that leap, though. If the ice is too thick, all that lovely water will still be inaccessible. Even then, it would be the engineering project of the century. First, you'd have to get a massive amount of materials all the way out there, then assemble a really fucking big drill while in space, drop it down without breaking anything, get through the massive amount of ice, and then pump the water all the way up into space. And if something goes wrong and your pipe breaks, you're completely fucked because you can't really send someone down to fix it. Almost certainly not happening within our lifetimes.
>>
>>8431528
Or you just drop some bombs on it to break the ice.
>>
>>8431529
Good luck getting a pump down through the fractured mess of ice fragments.
>>
>>8431528
I would send a shipment containing the turbines, and a large silo to mount smaller vessels in.
I think a surface drilling operation would be successful. 60 miles on earth is impossible. 60 miles of ice in low gravity? Just ride the hole boring machine as the base expands downward - where its warmer.
>>
>>8431533
Not difficult.
>>
>>8431528
You are Drilling ice, not rock. Drilling ice is easy.
>>
>>8431552
I agree ice is easier than rock, but it does depend what structure of ice, there are many. More research needs to be done for the composition of saturns ice, the huygens probe was welcomed - but there needs to be a rover at least because the data it provided still has us guessing.
>>
>>8431544
>>8431552
Drilling equipment doesn't operate on magic. That kind of torque and horsepower only comes from petro combustion engines, which requires an oxygen atmosphere. If you go electric/battery - you better start inventing anon. also, the steel would be brittle at those temperature and prone to breakage.
>>
titan is way too fucking far
makes no sense to go there any time soon beyond probes

Jupiter is better, just need to figure out a way to slow down when we get there, maybe aerobraking in the fringes of the jupiter atmosphere? Maybe something with magnets? Maybe beamed propulsion from callisto's surface?
>>
>>8431567
stainless steel handles cold temperatures better, but even that would be inadequate compared to other materials.

I was thinking of hooking the drill up to the turbine feed.
>>
>>8431569
Jupiter will expose any human to lethal radiation before they can land.
>>
>>8431567
Thats why you just drop a good 'ol nuke on it.
>>
>>8431456
Solar flares don't matter on the Mars surface. Mars might have a thin atmosphere, but it's enough to stop solar protons.

It's only the cosmic rays that blast through regardless, and they're a pretty steady background dose, a bit less than you'd get in LEO. You need to live in a thick-roofed building (or underground) to stop them.
>>
>>8431585
No current plans by NASA or SpaceX that I have seen indicate any intention to go underground.
>>
>>8431589
SpaceX hasn't revealed any plans for the surface operation.

NASA has no plan to go to Mars at all.

You think they'll be such idiots that they'll go to a low-gravity planet of dirt and soak in the cosmic rays rather than pile some dirt overhead to stop it?
>>
>>8431607
theyre foolish enough to go there in the first place, so yes.
>>
>>8431567
>That kind of torque and horsepower only comes from petro combustion engines, which requires an oxygen atmosphere. If you go electric/battery - you better start inventing anon.
Where you went wrong is, you went full retard. You never go full retard.
>>
>>8431580
Not if you have some shielding & you don't spend too long in it.
>>
File: citation-needed.png (552B, 163x96px) Image search: [Google]
citation-needed.png
552B, 163x96px
>>8431456
>The moment a direct on solar flare/cme
>hits the mars base everyone has cancer.
[citation needed]
>>
>>8431612
im not sure you understand the full magnitude of the radiation. Try putting your testicles in a microwave, that is an approximation for what will happen. Just 15 seconds will do.
>>
>>8431576
not 100K cold, and titanium or tungsten wouldn't be much better, they are just as brittle and might even perform worse due to modulous of elasticity not giving adequate warning prior to snapping. You would end up losing 40 miles of your augers down the hole.

>>8431583
and it freezes right back in an hours.
>>
>>8431613
research what a cme is
research what ionizing radiation does to biology
analyze the geography of earth
analyze the geography of mars

get to readin
>>
>>8431611
nice rebuttal there. none of you understand the feasibility of drilling in extreme environments. or the risks of losing "MILES" of auger down a hole after you just freighted a million tons into space and across the solar system.
>>
>>8431616
It's a magnetic field, you can protect yourself from that 100% by having your own field with super conductors
>>
>>8431619
https://youtu.be/kqNIASfUX9E?t=17m30s
>>
>>8431467
Jupiter is way more dangerous than Mars, it's magnetic field is hundreds of thousands of times more powerful than earth's. You can dig in for a flare on Mars, around Jupiter, it's a constant death bathe.
>>
>>8431630
what's your point here? it's a long video.
>>
>>8431645
its an experiment with metals submerged at 190 C
>>
>>8431623
>none of you understand the feasibility of drilling in extreme environments.
Don't change the subject. You claimed that only internal combustion engines can provide the torque and horsepower needed. There's no limit (either theoretical or in practical experience) on electric motors or batteries so they can't provide as much horsepower as any ICE, and they have a major advantage in torque.

>the risks of losing "MILES" of auger down a hole
I'm not supporting the idiot who thinks you can drill 60 miles deep. The deepest hole we've drilled on Earth is about 8 miles.
>>
>>8431653
>The deepest, SG-3, reached 12,262 metres (40,230 ft) in 1989 and still is the deepest artificial point on Earth.

Drilling through ICE is a bit fucking different than drilling through rock
>>
>>8431653
the reason for that is because the mantle heats the rock, these conditions are not present on titan. If so it would be slush, which would make drilling redundant.
>>
>>8431654
Yeah, 12.26 km is about 8 miles.

And where do you fucking think there's 60 miles of nothing but ice to drill through on Mars?
>>
>>8431656
there isnt? probably a bunch of radioactive rocks though lol.
>>
>>8431656
>>8431659
Oh, he was talking about Titan. My mistake.
>>
>>8431456
people only now realizing musk is full of shit
plebs, pls
>but muh simulation theory
yeah, that should have been the red flag
pop scientists btfo
>>
>>8431456
Surround the base with a dome of lead, wouldnt that stop all the radiation?
>>
>>8431665
He fears AI lol.

The automated checkout can't even work without fucking up lol. Automation and data parsing isn't going to end the world. No ones made any conscious seed AI or probably ever will.
>>
>>8431671
>lol
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
>>8431651
yeah i noticed the time stamp after i asked, now imagine drilling torques being placed on that frozen steel pipe.
>>
>>8431653
>don't changed the subject
you never mentioned a subject you ass, you only called me a retard. how can i change a subject that you never mentioned?
>muh electric motors
so since these motors and battery life needed don't exist - start inventing. are you mad at reality or at me for bringing you back to it?
>>
>>8431672
This..This is a good shitpost, noice one anon
>>
>>8431456
>> titan
Why the fuck would you want to live on titan? It's cold as fuck, plus you have a dense atmosphere meaning one has to expend a lot of energy keeping warm because heat transfer doesn't suck.

Second what do you use for power? Third why go waaaaaaaay the fuck out there?
>>8431622
"Research this stuff" is not a citation.
>>
>>8431467
>surface water
Making water must be so hard, huh. It's mars, being hard is a given. They will eventually have to install more power to make water if they need to.
>>
>>8431456
Wouldn't heavy water work,?
>>
>>8431681
>you never mentioned a subject you ass, you only called me a retard. how can i change a subject that you never mentioned?

Let's look:
>>That kind of torque and horsepower only comes from petro combustion engines, which requires an oxygen atmosphere. If you go electric/battery - you better start inventing anon.
>Where you went wrong is, you went full retard. You never go full retard.

Hmm, what could the subject be? What expessed idea of yours could I possibly have been mocking? How terribly mysterious! Must have been something about extreme environments, right?

>so since these motors and battery life needed don't exist - start inventing.
Oh man, you never go double retard.

http://www.getransportation.com/drilling/ac-drill-rig-motors
Electric motors are already used for drilling. They're very well suited for it.

As for battery life, are you seriously suggesting that anyone else but you thought that the idea was to ship batteries and no way to recharge them to a drilling site on another planet?
>>
>>8432247
This actually sounds way harder than fucking around on Mars
>>
itll be shit cosmic radiation will destroy them
>>
>>8431714
then read the thread at least these things have been addressed already.
Wind + Cold = Goodbye Heat, this is known.

I'm saying to use the polar vortexes on titan with superconductive wind turbines to power a hole boring machine for a deep subsurface base. Ice acts as an insulator more than a conductor.

Once a large enough hole is dug, a silo for docking is inserted and the base goes under ice, away from the wind. Power can be diverted to a smaller drill to reach the 60 mile water line.

By the time people visit titan the wind power can be diverted to life support (heat, artificial grav, water/air filtration, waste reclaim, aeroponic farms, etc). The vessels astronauts arrive in will likely be nuclear powered over such a far journey, so that can be used as well - along with any fuel storage.

Scientists have already developed membranes for the liquid methane lakes and continue to develop better materials. Titan is only cold, so only cold insulation is required. You dont have the huge temperature fluctuations of space or mars so the insulation has less of a demand.
>>8432165
It is what they use in reactors, would you trust a few thousand gallons of it to stop millions of tons of magnetic energy?

Scientists wonder if a nuclear EMP went off on mars due to radioactive topsoil, well CMEs induce similar effects.
>>
>>8432253
thats because no ones considering the full implications of a mars mission in the long term.

Its not easy, but I'm confident it could happen in this century with mars level funding. Quicker if we dont fund mars and shift focus to a place with the composition for sustaining life. Mars will surely consume more resources in the long run.
>>
>>8431456
>The moment a direct on solar flare/cme hits the mars base everyone has cancer.
Just build tunnels.
>>
>>8431672
>This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion
Heh, got a chuckle from me right there
>>
I see no problem with mars cause we all need to explore our solar system cause here earth already been explored and colonize. Time to think beyond and impossible!
>>
>>8432263

Water makes for fairly good radiation shielding (also discussed with land based radiation here), but is relatively heavy and is consumed during flight.
Liquid hydrogen is also good, and is used as fuel, so it will already be on board. However, this too is consumed during flight.
We could change the materials that spacecraft are made out of. Since hydrogen rich materials work well to shield the most common types of cosmic radiation, some plastics could work. However, this would require some reengineering to be practical.
Like JKor said, human waste works well, but has "grossness" problems. However, this is unique in that it increases instead of decreases as flight goes on, so it could supplement liquid hydrogen and water.
>>
>>8432281
Not even needed. There's enough of an atmosphere to stop solar protons.
>>
>>8432341
I don't think of human waste as shit any more.

Thats 60% water and the rest is mostly unused proteins, fibers, and minerals. Some of those proteins/fibers can be redigested, whats undigestable should composted for plant nutrient.

Underground on mars is a bare minimum, but I just don't understand putting the effort in on mars. Even underground its still probably radioactive. The gases you mentioned aren't exactly plentiful there.
>>
>>8432367
Plastic....?
> some plastics could work.
>>
>>8431456
a few inches of special material will do a far better than an atmosphere and magnetic field, because atmospheric gases and magnetic fields are, by volume, really pisspoor at blocking radiation, and only succeed in doing so because they're fucking huge.
ever wondered why people on earth still get sunburn and skin cancer? because the atmosphere despite being 480km thick does fuck all to block even UV
and the magnetosphere is as shit, really. one solar flare and military satellites lose their shit. earth's is measured in MICROteslas for fucks sake

what mars colonies and colonists need is either:
meters of shielding and limited EVA time (obvious choice)
radiation resistance through gene therapy (would be nice)
terraforming (no)
>>
>>8432367
it's a scientific endeavour, just a proof of concept to show that interplanetary travel and colonisation is possible. it's not going to be a "backup planet" for centuries, but we have to start somewhere. besides, humans do science much faster than robots, so once we make it there expect to see some interesting (mabye) discoveries.
>>
It's just hijacking a national space program for the wetdream of a billionaire.
Couldn't be more American.

A reasonable space program would have a replacement for the ISS ready and would push for a moon basis like ESA's Moon Village concept before going to Mars.
>>
>>8431456

what about the ISS ?

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/1034/how-are-the-astronauts-in-the-iss-protected-from-solar-flares
>>
>>8431459

" The impact of Kennedy's words lingers still, long after Apollo came to an end in 1972. The speech fundamentally changed NASA, ramping up the space agency's public profile and creating a huge infrastructure that continues to exist today. "

Same for SpaceX and " We choose to go to Mars "
>>
>>8432474
People don't seem to grasp how close to earth the ISS actually is.

Shit, I know I was disappointed when I found out about it
>>
>>8432465
a new space station is pointless unless it does something the ISS doesn't. Like it has a rotating torus hab section and or a dry dock to assemble vehicles in space.

Moon is pointless too. Unless you want to set up for He3 harvesting.

Manned Mars missions hasn't been done yet.
>>
Wouldn't building subsurface bases on the moon or Mars provide enough shielding to protect astronauts?

Couldn't we look for a cave or something to put a base in. At least on Mars?
>>
>>8432531
It's not pointless.

After the soon end of the ISS only China will have a space station running, which gives China a monopol for any space related research and tests in space for at least a decade.
>>
>>8432545
>space station

It isn't as even good as Mir.

Wait till the ITS boosters are made. Then you can launch entire spacestations in one or two launches.
>>
File: image.jpg (162KB, 699x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162KB, 699x1024px
We need to stop trying to compete and just work together to get this shit done.

How much money is the would about to waste on "Cold War 2 the electric boogaloo"?

What could the world accomplish for the cost of a few carriers?

How about a legit space station at a Lagrange point?

Pic not related
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 200x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 200x294px
>>8432572
Keep the dream alive!
>>
>>8432487
People make bad choices. Look how Kennedy's worked out.
>>
>>8432811
Well, Kennedy said the goal was to launch a man to the moon and return him safely before the end of the decade. And they did.

And he was pretty clear about the purpose being to one-up the Soviets, to make a grand demonstration of technological and economic superiority. And they did, and the Soviets were demoralized, and support for international communism began to crumble by the simple argument: it doesn't get the job done. It started Soviet scientists and engineers defecting.

It didn't make much sense for America to go to the moon, except that the Soviets had turned their manned space program into a great propaganda tool: Soviet science is more advanced, communism is the way forward, capitalism is short-sighted and wasteful. Strong talking points.

Apollo was psychological warfare. Neil Armstrong was a bomb delivered directly on target. Mission accomplished.
>>
Musk is doing an AMA over at /r/SpaceX

why don't all you /sci/entists go show how much better at space you are then him.
>>
>>8432990
>hey guys check leddit
musk belongs there.
>>
>>8432474
see this
>>8432516

Iss is more of a very high flying spacecraft, it barely qualifies as a space station...

for gods sake the thing experiences significant drag
>>
>>8433157
the reason it orbits where it does is because of operation fishbowl, turns out nuking your own atmosphere leaves a radiation belt. So technically the ISS is avoiding the conditions that occur on Mars.
>>
>>8433163
Holy shit, that is some crazy misinformation. Where did you get that?

It's where it is so it's reachable from both Baikonur and KSC. It's a compromise orbit between the demands of launching from two locations.
>>
>>8433167
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_radiation_belts
>>
>>8433218
>The Starfish Prime radiation belt had, by far, the greatest intensity and duration of any of the artificial radiation belts.
>had

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime
> July 9, 1962
>The half-life of the energetic electrons was only a few days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station
>Its first component launched into orbit in 1998
>>
*raises paw*

Why don't they just detonate a nuclear explosion in the core to make it molten again?
>>
File: Xperia_dog1.jpg (15KB, 202x255px) Image search: [Google]
Xperia_dog1.jpg
15KB, 202x255px
My favourite planet is Juniper
>>
>>8433339
there is still radiation there. I didnt mean to imply its the only reason the ISS is where it is, there have to be many factors at play behind that decision.
>>
>>8431459
>Slowly fall apart
Like watching their rocket after it blew.
>>
>>8433353
Their main export is gin!
>>
>>8433380
>there is still radiation there
There's radiation everywhere in space. There isn't any more where the belts created by the bomb tests were.
>>
why can't we use nuclear power to generate a magnetic field in space
>>
>>8432543
> Couldn't we look for a cave or something to put a base in. At least on Mars?
That's almost certainly what they'll do if and when they build a base on Mars.

But that only solves one problem of many.

The biggest issue with Mars is that you have to plan for every eventuality. If something major goes wrong and you don't have the resources to fix it, everyone dies.

You could get an emergency shipment to the ISS within hours, to the moon within a couple of days. Mars is six months away.
>>
>>8432347

>solar protons

You know it's still a good idea to build tunnels underground. Just in case shit got real...
>>
>>8433343

You would need a very powerful nuclear device to kickstart the core. Assuming the idea would work in the first place.
>>
>>8433543

>Mars is six months away.

NTR powered space craft can cut that down to one month. And that's being conservative, if all you're doing is shuttling supplies to lower Martian orbit. Deorbiting the supplies takes a bit more precision.
>>
>>8433559
>NTR powered space craft can cut that down to one month.
That seems rather implausible. Do you have numbers to back that up?
>>
>>8433555
>>8433343
it isn't possible.

Earth is hot and molten on the inside because.

1. big
>smaller objects lose heat faster. larger objects create more pressure.
2. uranium content
there is a lot of uranium in the earth. the decay heat is significant.
>>
>>8433567

Nuclear thermal rocket designs (latest concepts based on NERVA designs) have a specific impulse of 925 seconds.
>>
>>8433571
>Nuclear thermal rocket designs (latest concepts based on NERVA designs) have a specific impulse of 925 seconds.
That's not even very impressive. There's no way in hell a craft with one of those could make it to Mars in a month,
>>
>>8433576
3 times the methane raptor engines of spacex
>>
>>8433576

>with one of those

Yes anon, they can. Remember we are only talking about a resupply mission here. Crewed vehicles would take longer. Probably three months. Max.

Some designs utilize two ntr engines for transporting people to Mars.
>>
>>8433589
>Yes anon, they can.
What are you basing that on?

Getting to Mars in a month would require a stupidly fast transfer orbit. There's no way that anything within an order of magnitude of chemical rockets is doing that.
>>
how does a planet with not molten core still have active volcanoes?

also

can anyone comment on the possibility of just pointing a lase at mars to melt its core or something?
>>
>>8433597
the energy needed is not possible to be produced by man.

you would have to impact Ceres into Mars. Then have most of the mass of teh shattered planets coalasce back into a larger planet.
>>
>>8433595

http://www.lanl.gov/science/NSS/issue1_2011/story4full.shtml
>>
>>8433616
>A more feasible technology is nuclear propulsion. Nuclear rockets are more fuel efficient and much lighter than chemical rockets. As a result, nuclear rockets travel twice as fast as chemical-driven spacecraft. Thus, a nuclear rocket could make a trip to Mars in as little as four months, and a trip to Saturn in as little as three years (as opposed to seven years).
Did they just assume that doubling the dV would halve the travel time? What the fuck?

Anyway, no, that's not how transfer orbits work.
>>
>>8433701

>writes the half shaven neckbeard who has never seen the outside of his garage door
>>
>>8431456
>tunneling robots dig a series of caverns which can then be lined to finish radiation shielding and for air sealing
>lots of material to be processed for water and other useful material components
>not as much dust, temperature gradient, radiation, and other atmospheric conditions to worry about

I know tunneling is hard enough on Earth where men can replace teeth, stripped gears, and all that, but if they took say 10, even 20 years to get a few small habitats, maybe a shielded storage area first, tunneled out so they could man them, it would accelerate from there.
>>
>>8431666
Lets just ship several million tonnes of lead to mars, that won't be expensive.
>>
>>8433806
>lead to gold
alchemists were right all along
>>
>>8433810
controlled nuclear decay can turn lead into gold. they first did it in 1980.
>>
>>8433543
What major thing could go wrong, if you have water/food/power/systems that work via redundancies, etc
Obviously you design things to not happen like that.
>>
>>8433792
Theres no reason at all to do it underground
>>
>>8433834

It's easier to turn gold into lead through that process
>>
>>8433545
>>solar protons
>You know it's still a good idea to build tunnels underground. Just in case shit got real...
The better reason to have tunnels is that cosmic rays *do* punch through, making the surface of Mars subject to nearly as much ionizing radiation as low Earth orbit.

However, cosmic rays don't flare. They just steadily erode your health and increase your cancer risk.

Bursts of solar photons are a big deal when you're not safe from them. They can cause straight-up radiation sickness. On the ride to Mars, when you see a burst coming (you do get a few minutes' of warning), you have to get into a radiation shelter. For most of the ride, you can be in an open space and just live with the radiation dose, but during the bursts, you need to crowd into the middle of your pile of supplies, to get behind a shell of dense mass.
>>
So Musk has confirmed that those balls in the tanks are the reserves for landing fuel

Which apparently a buncha experts didn't think they were... shows you can never trust experts.
>>
>>8434301

I have seen designs that were essentially tanks of water. Are those feasible for protecting against solar radiation bursts?
>>
>>8433614
Would Ceres legitimately "shatter" Mars?

I mean I know it would fuck it up, flip it's mantle over and everything but just pop the whole thing like a balloon?
>>
>>8431672
>This is a good copypasta lad, mind if I save it?
>>
>>8434389
Yeah, any mass works, and light atoms are better because they absorb the protons without releasing gamma rays by stopping them suddenly. Gamma rays are harder to block, so you need even thicker shielding. Water's good, but so are rocket propellants, food, sewage, or plastic. Anything made mostly of light atoms, preferably with lots of hydrogen.
>>
>>8434005
>>
>>8431456

The more they imagine living on other planets, the more they will see how finely tuned this planet is for life.
>>
>>8434434
mars gravitational binding energy = 6*10^43 joules
ceres kinetic energy = 8*10^26 joules
nah it wouldnt shatter mars but it would probably melt all the rock on the surface
>>
>>8434818
The life that lives on it, this is natural selection anon the earth wont let something that can thrive on it exist it all. This planet was once fiilled with alien bacteria that lived in a toxic venus like atmosphere, but the great Oxygenation killed most of them and changed the atmosphere as well. Had that never happen you and I would never exist and it would be probable multicellular descendents of these bacteria that will on a board discussing how their toxic gassy world that is very hot is so perfect for life.
>>
File: sievert1_36868.jpg (64KB, 600x414px) Image search: [Google]
sievert1_36868.jpg
64KB, 600x414px
>>8434844
The thing is extremophiles still exist and are... unimpressive.

Like these niggas have been living in sulfuric 400 degree water for the last billion years and they haven't exactly perfected agriculture or language yet. I think their plans to colonize Venus are lagging behind ours for Mars, too.
>>
>>8431672
Youre like that weary and rugged older mentor/adventurer you always meet early on in RPGs
>>
>>8434854
>extremophiles
They still have DNA that is requires water to exist thus are not completely alien.
>>
>>8434854
>> 400 degree water
Anon the record for highest temp life can survive at is 122 C. It is highly unlikely anything can survive past 150 C as DNA starts breaking down at that point
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermophile
>>
>>8434844

I'm surprised you're old enough to have seen that.

Oh, wait, what's that you say? You're not that old?

Then why should I believe you about what happened back then?
>>
>>8434891
>tfw you realize WWI didn't really happen
>>
>>8434013
pls b b8
>>
To those suggesting an underground base, what makes you so sure the martian soil will not conduct radiation instead of insulate it? The soil still reads radioactive without any recent solar weather of significance.

Also has anyone stopped to consider this could be a scheme to launder billions of dollars? Could be a hoax.

>>8433407
pH (acidity) is reflected by the ion count present in the water. Water will absorb some of those ions, but it could make the water acidic.
>>
>>8435456
>what makes you so sure the martian soil will not conduct radiation instead of insulate it?
Scientific literacy.

I can't tell if you're trolling or mentally ill.
>>
>>8435506
Tie copper wire around yourself in a Carrington level solar event and we'll see who the illiterate one is.
>>
>>8435527

Don't make suggestions that could help people like that survive!

Jesus the world is filled with enough raging dipshits as it is
>>
>>8431672
>Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...

Not bad desu
>>
>>8435724
>>Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>
>Not bad desu

Why would you quote the whole thing?
>>
>>8434021
Ship several million tons of gold to mars and turn it into lead, brilliant!
>>
>>8431459
>t. United Launch Alliance
>>
>>8435527
Still can't tell if you're trolling or mentally ill, but now I'm leaning toward, "just really stupid".

The Carrington Event was caused by an interaction of a solar proton pulse with the Earth's magnetic field. Things like that just won't happen on Mars.
>>
>>8435787
you'll get hit with the raw electromagnetic feild instead, theres less resistance.

I could frankly care less about your judgement of me because you do not matter to me. You act like a brat on the internet and make insults in every response.

Please go die on mars.
>>
>>8435769
>>>Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
>>Not bad desu
>Why would you quote the whole thing?
Why would (You) quote the whole thing?
>>
>>8435886
Because copy and paste is new feature. He's just showing off. For the longest time, you had to type it all out yourself. That god, they cracked that hard mathematical problem.
>>
>>8435840
>not an argument
>>
You fuckos do know that population is going to drawdown several billion within a couple decades, right? You're never gonna be moonbasin' or freebasin in any martian cave. You'll be luck if you survive the fall from the summit into WWIII and the inevitable fallout from reactors going critical, or God help us, if the bombs fall.
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.