[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would anyone be able to help me out? I'm taking a gap year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 41Qs8zfABGL.jpg (27KB, 376x500px) Image search: [Google]
41Qs8zfABGL.jpg
27KB, 376x500px
Would anyone be able to help me out? I'm taking a gap year right now in order to earn enough to be able to afford college and will be beginning as an undergrad majoring in Chemistry next fall. I've got a scholarship that requires me to maintain a 3.5 GPA each semester, but even with this gap year I'm going to have to work likely full time to be able to afford all four years. I'd like to start self-studying now that I have some free time when I'm off of work and so that I can make sure I maintain that GPA requirement with ease. Can anyone recommend a series of books/resources that will sufficiently prepare me for undergrad and maybe make life a bit easier for me through my next four years? Also if you know of any problem books or can recommend really any prep for what I'm going to be looking at? I really appreciate any help you can give!
>>
If you're able to access the course lookup feature for the current or next semester in your student login, search for the courses you plan on taking your first semester. Get some names of the people teaching these classes and put them in Google with your school name. You can typically find their website where they post syllabus, homework problems, notes, etc.

A lot of times they post their notes in their entirety (especially for lower division lecture-hall type classes), and you can work through them without having to even buy the book.
>>
Also, check the sticky. Lots of material there
>>
>>8430900
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Chemistry_Textbook_Recommendations
>>
>>8430900
>3.5
>pchem

You should kill yourself now
>>
What I think are easy texts that you could use:
General: Brown
Analytical: Skoog
Organic: McMurry
Phychem: Ball
Inorg: Miessler
Biochem: Campbell
>>
>>8430900
some of the topics you need to know, off the top of my head

>repeat of high school level chem, including oxidation/reduction, basic orbital assignment of electrons, chemical equilibrium and buffer reactions, ideal gas laws.
>atomic orbital theory, including hybridization of orbitals and molecular orbitals, basic quantum mechanics to understand molecular orbitals
>applied analytical chemistry: what are the working principles behind Gas Chromatography, NMR spectroscopy, Mass spectroscopy, UV/visible spectroscopy, and Infrared spectroscopy.
>basic organic chemistry which is probably the easiest, you just need to visually recognize an algorithm for solving a problem, then take an input molecule and predict the mechanism and product that comes out
>basic molecular biology (optional)
>partial differential equations and how to set up theoretical model (balance equations) for different chemical reactors. Used for process engineering.
>>
>>8431407
Yea I've heard that... Do you think it's pretty much impossible? I'm a hard worker I'm willing to read through the books and do all the problems I wont slack.
>>8431573
Thanks! I appreciate it!
>>8431690
Thanks I saved this and I'll make sure I focus on them as I go through the literature!
>>
>>8431573
ORGANIC

CLAYDEN

EVERY TIME
>>
>>8431903
I've also heard Klein was good. What would you recommed?
>>
>>8430900
Mit's video lectures on solid state chemistry are pretty good, the professor knows how to give a good lecture, you can tell he cares about the material. The lecturers name is donald sadoway
>>
File: eulerschain.png (7KB, 289x71px) Image search: [Google]
eulerschain.png
7KB, 289x71px
>>8431890
Nah I got an A in my first two pchem courses and am in my third one now. To give you an idea, it's nothing like organic chemistry. I hated organic and struggled to get B's, but pchem is very quantitative and is a lot better if you have a brain for mathematical modeling/problem solving. Atkins is great btw, lots of good practice problems.

Brush up on calculus, specifically multivariate calculus/partial derivatives. Also, you should definitely familiarize yourself with Maxwell's equations and Euler's chain rule (pic related). If your professor likes to ask you to derive relationships/equations on exams, knowing these two will make it a breeze.
>>
>>8432081
Alright thanks I will. I appreciate the advice. Congrats on the success by the way!
>>
>>8432104
Thanks. P.chem is simple, don't let people scare you into thinking it's not. Pay attention to units too. A lot of the problem solving is easy when you understand the nature of the values you're considering. For example, the term "heat capacity." Seems abstract/vague until you notice the units are joules per Kelvin (J/K). It's the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. Everything in pchem boils down (pun intended) to units. Knowing what units the answer will be in is a huge tool for setting up a problem successfully. I tutored p.chem 1, thermodynamics, and that advice helped all of my tutorees.
>>
>>8432118
Thanks, yeah I've always heard that P chem was a killer and that orgo was like a walk in the park compared to it, thanks for the advice I found a copy of atkins online so I'll be using it. I think my main focus will probably just be brushing up on my math skills to make sure that wont be the reason why I'm having any issues and to hopefully reduce any stupid mistakes. Thanks again you've been really helpful!
>>
>>8432139
Cheers
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.