[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, So I'm currently attending community college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: a8bY8jd_700b_v1.jpg (94KB, 600x854px) Image search: [Google]
a8bY8jd_700b_v1.jpg
94KB, 600x854px
Hey /sci/,
So I'm currently attending community college knocking out my gen-ed requirements for my associates degree in who-the-hell-knows.
I need to pick a major before I transfer.
>Modern medicine seems to attempt to make people as good, or as close to as good as they are naturally. (No leg? Give the man a plastic one.)
>High blood pressure? Let's lower that by introducing some mildly dangerous drugs into your system.
>OP wants to major in a field that will make people better than they were before. Something that would go along with transhumanist ideals, though perhaps in a way that's practical and actually applicable in the near future.
>Help OP decide what to major in.
Tl;dr: What field of study gives OP the greatest chance of being part of a transhumanist movement?
Pic not necessarily related
>>
>>8430814
Sounds like you want a bioengineering degree
Although you'll need more than a bachelors if you want to be doing actual creative research in the field
>>
>>8430827
This is OK. I love what I do at community college, and I think academia only gets better from here.
My concern with bioengineering was that I'd end up making pharmaceuticals-something I think will be seen as extremely primitive as other technologies advance.
What is the application of bioengineering now anon?
>>
File: 1473829763711.jpg (59KB, 400x571px) Image search: [Google]
1473829763711.jpg
59KB, 400x571px
>>8430829
>I think academia only gets better from there
Oh lad
>>
File: photo.jpg (58KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
58KB, 900x900px
>>8430833
You!
You know stuff I don't know.
Elaborate, please.
>>
>>8430834
It depends on where you go. If you're lucky you can do some good work with professors. Sometimes though, such as my friend, you just end up being the professors bitch.
>>
>>8430829
If you don't want to be a pharmacologist, don't. It's not the only thing you're going to be qualified for.
The most banal thing you could end up doing is probably work on something like pacemakers or hip replacements.

>I think academia only gets better from here
hoo boy

Also asking /sci/ what to do with your life is absolutely fucking retarded. If you're really the slightest bit interested in following this through, go to your local uni's website, find somebody in the bio department who seems to do what you want to do, and e-mail them.

The best you're going to get here is generic freely available advice (like mine) or stuff that people are pulling out their asses.
>>
>>8430836
I'm not seeing this as you are.
Isn't that kind of O.K.? You get to be wingman for someone with more experience. Mutual gains are had, and then you go on with the valuable experience on your resume?
>>
File: JustinBieberWhatDoYouMeanCover.png (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
JustinBieberWhatDoYouMeanCover.png
40KB, 300x300px
>>8430839
Right! I know anon. I was hoping for replies like yours and >>8430827
I just need someone to say " Hey, go over there, this stuff is of interest".
Apparently my comment about academia was a retarded one. I'm having a great time learning all of this stuff, so I'm confused as to how it could be worse going beyond my local community college.
Anon, if you don't explain why I've gotten two "oh boy's" I'm really going to be a sad panda.
>>
>>8430814
Literally trying to do the same thing and also have no idea what to pick.

My primary goal is to make it so that humans no longer have to piss or shit, but I lately haven't been able to decide if biochemistry, physics, or quantum physics would be more useful (a part of my brain thinks that allowing the human body to internally recycle its own waste might require giving the body the ability to literally change elements into other elements, something to my knowledge is not done by any biological organism).

I guess this anon >>8430827 might have the right idea, but I dunno.
>>
>>8430856
Interesting. It's good to hear I'm not the only one in this situation.
Maybe gastroenterology+physics?
I think the real application of such an idea could lead to people being able to live off of more energy sources. Could you have a hydrogen powered person? A person powered by a battery, maybe?
>>
Hey Op. I want to do something similar to you or research nano medicine.
There's some bio engineering degree in my school and others so you could do that.
For nano medicine would you guys recommend a chemistry PhD? I heard its very hard to get work as a chemist. Or do you think It is possible to get into a bioengineering program with a chemistry Bs?
>>
>>8430866
bioengineer some gut bacteria that can break down cellulose
>>
>>8430932
>WITH THE POWER OF SCIENCE, THE TERMITE PEOPLE WILL RISE.
>>
>>8430932
>sawdust isn't just a starvation ration anymore, dad!
>>
>>8430988
Can you imagine how amazing popsicles will be?
It's like eating cake and then there is a piece of delicious wood in the center. Like a twinky, only woody.
>>
>>8430814
Human Resources
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.