[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys worry we may come to the point where we just can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1475961243064.jpg (41KB, 662x413px) Image search: [Google]
1475961243064.jpg
41KB, 662x413px
Do you guys worry we may come to the point where we just can't know anything more about the world?
Not that we figure everything out but it becomes physically impossible to accurately test any further hypotheses leaving science over but not "finished"
>>
>>8428675
Yes I have this thought too sometimes, the idea that some problems in science might be intractable or even too impractical to figure out. I don't think we're there yet at least not in the life sciences but I can't say anything about physics or chemistry. But yes I do think that will be an issue eventually.
>>
if you want to get real mad it's a proven fact that such is the case in math

i forgot the guy but basically he found a mathematical equivalent for "this sentence is a lie", thereby proving that there is at least one unresolvable thing in math
>>
>>8428675
We've already hit that point.
>>
>>8428675
>Do you guys worry we may come to the point where we just can't know anything more about the world?

Are you kidding?

I'm an engineer....

I want to use that knowledge to build more awesome shit!
>>
>>8428675
Sometimes I think that the era between Newton and Einstein will turn out to have been a fluke in the history of science, and that we'll never again develop elegant models that make exact predictions for anything. Best case scenario we'll be stuck with ad-hoc statistical methods that give plausible results until they don't. But what do I know.
>>
>>8428675

So you admit to not being involved in any academic research? We still don't know exactly how bicycles work. There's tons of shit we don't know that needs work.
>>
>>8428863
Did you read the OP? The problem is not that we'll know everything, just everything that is possible for us to find out. The event horizon of enquiry
>>
>>8428875
Not in our lifetimes. I get involved in academic research, and you'll know.
>>
>>8428675
I doubt we can ever solve the P=NP problem with the current math. We would need a breakthrough in basic research. We need to ask why we cannot solve a problem. NP is the monster of cs. We only create toy programs and pseudo-science AI until this problem can be at least better explained.
>>
>>8428843
Eventually there will be nothing novel left to build.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.