[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/, what exactly is time in the context of physics? If all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 04209213.jpg (76KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
04209213.jpg
76KB, 500x483px
/sci/,

what exactly is time in the context of physics? If all particles in the universe were suspended in absolute zero (hypothetically) for 5 minutes. Are those 5 minutes actually 5 minutes? Or does time require motion?
>>
>>8428224
Time is a spatial and linear dimension. Just by existing, you are advancing in time.
>>
>>8428234
>linear
nope
>>
>>8428253
I sometimes hate how people here just say something is wrong without even explaining why or providing evidence against it.
>>
>>8428846
I hate when people assume bitches are correct on the internet. Be more cynical and aware
>>
>>8428224

Time is a unit which quantifies the incremental progression of existence.
>>
>>8428846
I hate how people spout pop sci buzzwords without knowing shit about the geometry of spacetime.
>>
>>8428224
Time measurement doesn't require motion, but it does require a system to change states.
>>
>>8428224
Why do all smarty pants have weird hair?
>>
I said the same thing, /sci/ laughed at me. I still think it is true. Although, the time will only stop for that object that is 0K and all outside observers will merely see a frozen mass while their own time is normal. Thus, they'd perceive time as being normal, which is why /sci/ laughs. It is full of brainlets.

0K can't be achieved knowingly since no device could be made to measure it since the device would be adding energy to the mass that is 0K and screwing with the readings. You also can't have say -5K because that'd be going backwards in time, so to speak, which can't happen.

Now, since time doesn't actually exist, it can't actually stop. Thus, no 0K either. You can tell time doesn't exist due to relativity existing.
>>
>>8428224
You'd never really know because your cellphone or watch would break from the temperature shock, But yes, there is continuity even in times when things seem motionless
>>
the universe ends at t = -1/12
>>
>>8430795
you do realize that negative temps can be realized? without time stopping or reversing?
>>
I would bet time requires motion/temperature but its more a philosophical bet. If you would manage to have a supercool material at zero degrees isolated inside a box or something, time would still be happening for you, at your own scale. The other thing would be frozen so I would not realise about anything going on but you could go and break. Where is his no-time god now?
>>
I would bet time requires motion/temperature but its more a philosophical bet. If you would manage to have a supercool material at zero degrees isolated inside a box or something, time would still be happening for you, at your own scale. The other thing would be frozen so I would not realise about anything going on but you could go and break. Where is his no-time god now? Look how I shitpost.

ps:I solved like seven captchas to pòst!
>>
>>8430844
>I dun goofed greatly

*It would not realise about anything going on but you could go and break it*
>>
>>8430813
You don't know what absolute zero kelvin means do you?
>>
>>8430956
I'm not going to spout off my crappy interpretation of negative temperature (in Kelvins, i.e. below absolute zero) because I'm in my 4th year of undergrad physics and won't pretend to know a lot about exotic states of matter and the process used to create negative temperatures or even what a negative temperature means, but if you google it you will find very reputable sources discussing it.

Obviously I know the standard undergrad thermo definition of absolute zero and what that entails, but if you go deeper, which I haven't, it turns out that that is not a foolproof definition.

tl;dr google it, you assuming fuckface
>>
I feel like there's a Maxwell's Deamon in here somewhere....Implying absolute zero is a real thing...Is Zero Point energy a thing?
>>
>>8430974
Kelvin is measured by atom movement. 0 Kelvin = 0 atom movement. You can't have negative atom movement.
>>
File: 1453220836127.png (473KB, 650x811px) Image search: [Google]
1453220836127.png
473KB, 650x811px
>>8430974
>>8430813
>negative kelvin
>>
>>8430986
that's the undergrad version of temperature
>>8431000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature
>>
>>8430986
there are plenty of physical systems that can attain negative temperature. Look up lasing for a practical example, and look at what the temperature must be in order for the density operator in the GCE to make sense. Here's a really nice short paper on it https://arxiv.org/pdf/0902.0421v2.pdf
>>
>>8430974
>>8431020
>>8431000
>>8430986

brainlets

the funniest thing here is the "4th year undergrad" who still doesn't know what a negative temperature means. Statistical mechanics is a third year course.

If you idiots spent half as much time actually learning physics as you do talking out of your asses, you wouldn't be hung up on intro material
>>
>>8431243
i can say senior instead of 4th year if that makes you feel better?
stat mech is a grad level course here (UCSB)
>>
>>8430974
So you're suggesting we fuck thermodynamics. Just throw law 1 out of the window. Take a system without residual energy and drop the energy level even lower? Do you at least have like a diagram or text book citing so i can understand this exotic anomaly?
>>
>>8431487
you're either joking and trying to bait me or you're a complete idiot because you're too stubborn to look up some actual research on the topic due to the fear that it will upend your rigid belief systems, because that would hurt your ego if you were wrong
>>
>>8431487
i generally say laws of tdy are good for most cases se see at the macro scale

however there may be edge cases and other exotic (to our local space time ref) where its just not the case at all.
>>
>>8431020
>>8431243
>>8431299
Absolute Zero is Absolute Zero, kids. If you find a temperature that goes below Absolute Zero, then Absolute Zero gets changed so it is now that temperature. You don't ever go below Absolute Zero because of that. The Kelvin scale is based on Absolute Zero so that you never have negative Kelvin because 0K is always going to be Absolute Zero.

Stop being fucking retards.
>>
Space and time are interwoven. No one knows what the fabric of space actually looks like. No one knows what time is.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.