[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does anyone besides the recipient themselves care about prestigious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: grigori.jpg (14KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
grigori.jpg
14KB, 400x293px
Why does anyone besides the recipient themselves care about prestigious prizes? First Grigori now Dylan. I know the inherit irony in posting, being an observer myself, but is academia and science finally realizing the unimportance of these things? Are narcissists like Nash finally dying off? Heck, I've even heard talk about ceasing the Olympics. It has already begun with non-score-keeping children sports.
>>
Shinichi Mochizuki will probably keep his prize money, maybe donate some if it to RIMS. I can only assume the guy is a recluse because he feels the rest of the world is too stupid to understand his work.
>>
>>8428692
if the rest of the world couldn't understand his proof he wouldn't have won the prize you idiot. do you even know what you're saying? also Mochi won't win the prize since his theory doesn't deal with any element of algebraic cycles in a manner that has an anabelic isomorphism.
>>
>>8428152
who is dylan?
>>
>>8428152
I only really study maths because I'm a terrible narcissist and it's the easiest way of signalling my gargantuan IQ. I presume there will alway be plenty of others like myself who would be happy to accept some public attention and 1million dollars if you please.
>>
>>8428722
Are you saying Mochizuki's theory is worthless?
>>
>>8428880
it's not worthless, but it's not powerful enough to analyze hodge cycles properly.
>>
>>8428852
bob dylan, the singer song-writer, just won the literature Nobel, and doesn't seem to give a shit about it
>>
>>8428152
the nobel prize in literature isn't worth as much as a nobel in science. i don't think there should be a nobel for economics or politics, it should only be for breakthroughs in the sciences

perelman resents the prize partly because the top tier mathematics research universites wanted nothing to do with him before winning the fields medal, but now want him to come to their insitutions after he solved the conjecture so their name could be on the paper

The millenium prize prize money exists to motivate people to try solve the problems
the nobel

Narcissm is the tip of the iceberg for nash
>>
>>8428880
Yes.
>>
>>8429230
>top tier mathematics research universities wanted nothing to do with him
He was offered jobs at Stanford and Princeton among others.
Also:
UCB Miller fellowship
And invited to study for a sem at NYU, SUNY

Everyone wanted him, he rejected it all
>>
>>8429261
they wanted him after he solved the conjecture not before
>>
>>8429271
No, he was offered jobs at Princeton and Stanford around '93-'94, miller fellowship was 93. He was proved the Soul Conjecture '94. So after that he was offered jobs everywhere
>>
>>8429278
well i admit im wrong then, I thought alot of his resentment had to do with was how he was treated before vs after. the fact that he was a prize pig and everybody wanted to get their hands on him. so why did perelmen quit mathematics?

i know it's semi-tangential but what do you think would've happened to ted kaczinski if he didn't kill all those people? mathematical talent, and hermitism are both dominant traits of both people.

does solving a problem like the poincare conjecture require someone working on it for years and years? Andrew wiles had to work for a long time too.
>>
I do believe that ist normal to like to get admiration and compliments from fellow scientists.

Denying a prize seems more like the ultimate arrogance to me. Seems to me more like hes saying "i am too good for your pathetic admiration".
>>
>>8428152
Well the olympics should be canned because of how corrupt the IOC is considering how they influenced hitler, stalin, and support china. Nit to mention how they uproot the poor with no economic benefit just crippling debt. Even norway spit in their faces after they read their demands. As far as bob dylan hes way more legit and influential than tge guy who became a goat for 2 weeks. In the end muscians are more influential than most because everybody listens to music everyday
>>
>>8429313
He felt flunked out because some other mathematicians rehashed his proof and tried to claim all credit for themselves. These other authors were later forced to revise the title of their work and language that made it seem like they had come up with it on their own. But too late and Perelman lost faith in the mathematical community.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.