[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone ever get depressed at the thought that the universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

File: 1453676248623.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1453676248623.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
Does anyone ever get depressed at the thought that the universe has to end someday. No matter how far we go and how long humanity can last, it can't live past the death of the universe. Entropy was a mistake.
>>
No. Entropy is the reality and normality. Thinking anything can last forever is the mistake.
>>
I think it's incredibly arrogant of you that you that you think something that will happen billions of years from now concerns you in the slightest.
>>
>>8427508
>arrogant
Yeah you don't know what this word means. Being worried that all of existence will end doesn't translate to being all about yourself.
>>
>>8427522

This

The whole "you are arrogant to think of the afterlife/entropy/death/eternity" is a bullshut fedora argument said by nihilists trying to pretend they arent having an existential crisis
>>
Humans will eventually become so technologically advanced that we will be able to stop and reverse entropy. Or well just leave this dimension and colonize another one
>>
File: 1753176545-Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg (104KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
1753176545-Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg
104KB, 1280x850px
>>8427696
>stop and reverse entropy. Or well just leave this dimension and colonize another one
I'll eat my fucking hat.
>>
>>8427696

...or magical girls
>>
>>8427744
Thats what they said about the horseless carriage too
>>
>>8427495
Not sure why it has to end.

I understand the theory, that everything is essentially slowly flying apart. There is no reason to believe that humans won't eventually reach the point of technology where we can build everything we need, artificial suns, dyson sphere type habitats, etc such that even if the rest of the universe and its natural galaxies and systems all dissipated into nothingness we could still live on in our artificial worlds.
>>
>>8427508
You're fucking retarded, there's nothing arrogant about a feeling you have no control over, OP can't just decide not to be concerned by the end of the Universe.

>>8427770
>we have landed a man on the moon, therefore we shall land a man on the Sun

>>8427839
"You're weak on logic, that's the trouble with you. You're like the guy in the story who was caught in a sudden shower and who ran to a grove of trees and got under one. He wasn't worried, you see, because he figured when one tree got wet through, he would just get under another one."
>>
>>8427696
Nope.

Actually I am fairly sure I will live to see mankind making the final possible step in understadning physics.
>>
>>8427844
>"You're weak on logic, that's the trouble with you. You're like the guy in the story who was caught in a sudden shower and who ran to a grove of trees and got under one. He wasn't worried, you see, because he figured when one tree got wet through, he would just get under another one."
Not sure what your getting at. My point was more, if all the trees died out we would just make artificial tree like things to replace them. In that case perhaps an umbrella would do?
>>
>>8427744
You'd have trouble digesting it if entropy is reversed.
>>
>>8427522
All that could possibly be worrisome about the universe ending, eons after you and the rest of the human race is dead and dust, is the death of your legacy. Which is pretty fucking arrogant.
>>
>>8427871
Good work anon, gotta snap those tall poppies.
I for one am not ashamed of my grotesque solipsistic fantasies.
>>
>>8427862
It's a quote from The Last Question by Isaac Asimov, a short story about the heat death of the universe. You see, we may be able to construct an artificial star, but to do that, we need hydrogen and other light elements, and we only have so much of those. Even if we totally annihilated matter to get all the juice out of it, we could only go on so long as we have matter to burn. And we can't just reuse the energy, because we would be radiating part of it away into space, so no matter how efficient we are, we will eventually run out of fuel.

There are other concerning things that will end us soon before that tho, read the Wikipedia article titled timeline of the far future if you're interested.
>>
>>8427871
Not just my legacy, but every single half worthwhile human being who has ever lived. You just don't like that I value that because you're a middle school nihilist who is choking on his own body fat as we speak. Eat shit.
>>
File: TheEnd.png (593B, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
TheEnd.png
593B, 400x400px
I do find the thought of it terrifying. Even if we escape the death of our own Sun, we'll still run out of stars eventually. Even if we make our own fusion generators, we'll still run out of hydrogen eventually.

Just imagine the terror and dread of anything that survives that long. Whatever sentience remains, it will spend it's days drifting through the blackness, trying to suck the power out of slight differences in background radiation, lapping energy from cooling husks of neutron star and evaporating black holes. Trillions of years worth of experience and knowledge, gradually losing the ability to think due to all of it's ability being focused on the smaller and smaller differences in energy it can extract from the environment, until one day, in the blackest void imaginable, completely alone, it finally runs of out juice and ceases to live.
>>
>>8427907
True, but we should theoretically be able to harvest or convert all energy and matter at some point in the future. Thus if it happens soon enough we could stop the end from coming.
>>
>>8427934
>Just imagine the terror and dread of anything that survives that long. Whatever sentience remains, it will spend it's days drifting through the blackness, trying to suck the power out of slight differences in background radiation, lapping energy from cooling husks of neutron star and evaporating black holes. Trillions of years worth of experience and knowledge, gradually losing the ability to think due to all of it's ability being focused on the smaller and smaller differences in energy it can extract from the environment, until one day, in the blackest void imaginable, completely alone, it finally runs of out juice and ceases to live.
Nigga go start a melo death band or something
>>
>>8427508
>arrogance is negative to the individual it concerns
>>
>>8427495
I'm pretty glad about it to be honest.
I don't know why but the idea of infinity itself scares me shitless.
>>
No problem. Well just use wind generators.
>>
>>8428115

> the idea of infinity itself scares me shitless.

Why?
>>
>>8428269
are you actually illiterate
>>
>>8428277

You said that infinity turns you into a pussy, and didn't explain why, so I asked, fucking idiot.
>>
>>8428284
>I don't know why but the idea of infinity itself scares me shitless.
>I don't know why
Thanks for making it clear.
>>
>>8427495
>Implying the universe will end.
>Implying something doesn't lie outside the universe and we can't access it.
>Being a pessimistic bitch without knowing for sure if the universe will end and humanity or some other lifeform in the universe can prevent it.
>>
>Humanity creates the theoretical White Hole to pump energy into the universe.
>Creates a Super White Hole.
>Energy continues to be pumped into our universe from somewhere, maybe an old universe or a new born one.
>Universe has to keep expanding and creating more galaxies, stars, and etc.
>Eternity of chilling.

Chill
>>
>>8428292

So, you just are scared just because, no reason at all

Fears have to come from somewhere
>>
I only get depressed at the thought that I will never have a family with wife and children.
>>
>>8428388
Normie
>>
File: futureearth.jpg (134KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
futureearth.jpg
134KB, 1600x900px
>>8427495

Not really. Nothing lasts forever.

Besides, you won't be around to witness the cold, dank, lonely end to the universe anyway.

Of course that assumes the universe is going to end this way......
>>
>>8427495
>Does anyone ever get depressed at the thought that the universe has to end someday. No matter how far we go and how long humanity can last, it can't live past the death of the universe. Entropy was a mistake.

THIS ONLY HAPPENS IF YOUR CIVILIZATION IS TOO STUPID TO AVERT IT, PUNY MORTAL.
>>
>>8427495
Nope!
>>
>>8427495
Anon did you know literally everything as we know it could cease to exist at any moment due to the Vacuum metastability event?
>>
>>8427495
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojEq-tTjcc0
>>
Humans won't be around, consciousness will be just fine, here's why:

We can build kugleblitz black holes that are small enough to emit hawking radiation faster than the background radiation temp. We can drop the most enthropic matter into them and get hydrogen precursors out. (obviously you would need lots of them with channels to collect and whik away the new matter).

Ok, now the intelligence has to worry about universal expansion. Yes, intelligences could leapfrog their hardware down to plank scales (assuming they found a way to deal with the quantum uncertainty of hardware on those scales) but they could not prevent the eventual shrinking of the visible universe down to the plank length. They could stave it off for a while by making time pass much slower for them (because they can speed up their clockrate to plank time), but eventually the shrinking visible universe sphere will make each plank cube unable to exchange data with its' neighbors. At that point the standard universe occupants as are familiar to us today are screwed. They won't care though, self preservation is a human manifest, and although the entities will be able to experience several times the full compliment of human emotions, they will intelligently be at peace with the fact that the story has been well told.
>>
>>8428784
In the reading, he claims everything got close to abs 0... that's not entropy? the exact Kelvin degree of perfect entropy with the energy and within all the volume we have now could probably be calculated. If an infrared photon leaves a hunk of material, it will be immediately replaced by another when there is perfect entropy
>>
>>8428909
Thats a whole shit ton of mammoth sized "could"s there
>>
>>8427495
Im glad, I hate humanity and myself so I see this as the great divine relief. If you don't you're probably a redditor who deserves inevitable annihilation the most
>>
>>8428953
This.
>>
>>8428909
>the eventual shrinking of the visible universe down to the plank length.
what? haven't heard of this one before
>>
>>8428041
The process wastes energy always.
You run out eventually
>>
>>8429298
Yeah, it will shrink increasingly, the only reason I included the plank length is because that is the smallest known possible scale to refuge an intelligence on as the visible universe shrinks. It will of course first shrink to solar system size, planet size, city size, etc.

This universal penile atrophy is due to the increasing, symmetrical, rate of expansion of the entire universe, Right now we can't see beyond a 36 billion light-year distance (13 billion year time) away from us. This is because everything beyond this distance is effectively moving away from us faster than light due to spacetime expansion between us and those objects. Eventually things at a billion light-year distance will be moving away from us faster than light, followed by things at a single light-year distance, etc.

If you were watching it happen you would witness the stars start to disappear as the darkness began consuming. The darkness would grow closer and closer as you saw the solar system being consumed from the outside in, the sun would be consumed and by the faint glow of some earth cities you could still make out the moon disappearing, then you could watch as the planet was consumed from the horizons in, and you would be weightless just before your bedroom walls faded to black right before your eyes.

The sphere of visibility is diminishing now, but very slowly. By the time the spacetime within distances of your own body gets close to expanding at the critical rate, it will happen quickly, probably within a few minutes of you seeing the last star go dark. It will be like getting sucked under a wave, claustrophobia at its finest.
>>
>>8429405
Oh so you're talking about the "big rip".
>penile atrophy
what? are you trolling?
>>
>>8429423
Not trolling, just wanted a catchy term for shrinkage. What's the big rip?
>>
>>8429428
>The Big Rip is a cosmological hypothesis about the ultimate fate of the universe, in which the matter of the universe, from stars and galaxies to atoms and subatomic particles, and even spacetime itself, is progressively torn apart by the expansion of the universe at a certain time in the future. According to the hypothesis, first published in 2003, the scale factor of the universe and with it all distances in the universe will become infinite at a finite time in the future.
>>
>>8429428
> spacetime is moving so that everything is moving away from each other
> galaxies are not only moving away but accelerating!
> the further away the faster they're going
> fast forward
> every other galaxy is moving away from us at the speed of light
> this means we can no longer observe any other galaxy
> fast forward
> spacetime has stretched such that electrons are no longer anywhere close to their nucleus
> atoms no longer exist
>>
>>8427495
looking forward to vacuum decay tbqhwyf
>>
>>8429441
>Electrons are planets
>>
>>8429439
>>8429441

In that case yes, I was talking about the rip. I don't see how space-time could rip itself apart though, it seems like it should just keep growing.
>>
the universe has to end someday....
Proof please?
Currently the universe is endless and timeless, theories about a start and an end are just that, projections from a human mind obsessed with the birth/death enigma.
>>
>>8427907
Came here to recommend this reading to OP and others like him.

Also, no. The heat death does not concern me anymore than flipping a coin or rolling dice concerns me. It's not malicious or personal. Why should it bother me? It's simply just a matter of statistics and how they play out on a cosmic scale.
>>
>>8428041
>>8427907
Asimov wrote this tall tale before we realized the universe's expansion is accelerating... Which does rather complicate things. I think he has a multi-galaxy civilization going in the later stages of the story, but all the non-blue shifted galaxies will be beyond our sight well before the last of the stars burns down (taking into account those new stars that are created meantime).

Part of the problem is that only a tiny fraction of stars go nova. The bulk of the rest never return their matter to the universe - especially true of the black holes... Which, I suppose, eventually do, but not before well after everything else is dark. ...And even when they do, their energy will be instantly lost to a hyper-accelerated expansion of the universe.

But, given how far into the fantastically distant future we're talking, we may find a solution. We already know it's theoretically possible to create another universe with a large enough particle accelerator (like, solar system sized), there's just, currently no theoretically way to get from this universe to the one you made. Still... Seems there are some other potentials for cat skinning here.
>>
>>8429457
Theories generated from and backed by observation. The same theories which many of our devices depend on to function. The fact that your phone's GPS works is proof that some of the major theories behind those is correct (or at least well within the ball park.)
>>
I rather like Asimov's answer in The Gods Themselves where we start opening doors into other universes and simply start sucking energy from them.
>>
File: Species_8472.jpg (30KB, 699x526px) Image search: [Google]
Species_8472.jpg
30KB, 699x526px
>>8429707
I think The Borg tried that...
>>
File: 1466249513844.jpg (62KB, 333x247px) Image search: [Google]
1466249513844.jpg
62KB, 333x247px
You guys realize all this "matter can't be created or destroyed" and "there will be nowhere to run" shit is bullshit right? What we really mean is that it can't be done under normal circumstances, obviously it can be done, you're looking at it right now. It had to get here somehow so obviously it's possible, we just don't know how. We're studying shit like quantum tunneling right now, imagine what humans in a billion years will know. I doubt we'll get anywhere near heat death before we gain the ability to do something about it
>>
>>8429707
So we create White Holes in a certain spot in the universe and just siphon energy from them?

>>8429652
Nice response.
>>
>>8429906
>It had to get here somehow

What is your justification for this claim?
>>
File: doc smith.jpg (49KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
doc smith.jpg
49KB, 184x184px
>>8429707
> tfw humans were the bad guys the whole time
>>
File: AoristRods.png (36KB, 1260x182px) Image search: [Google]
AoristRods.png
36KB, 1260x182px
>>8429707

My personal favourite fictional energy source is Aorist rods.
>>
>>8429652
You made me think that maybe we could avoid the big rip by diving into a black hole. Some very large black holes don't rip you apart because they are so un-dense. Since spacetime is already warped into a singularity there, maybe falling at the exact right rate could curtail the ever-expansion problem.
>>
>>8430186
Already more or less proposed by >>8428909 - bugger is, black holes evaporate, so you're just buying yourself time.

...Granted, several trillion years more time... But once you're living inside an event horizon, fixing the problem permanently might be more difficult. (On the other hand, if you've found a way to do that, you probably already have a solution, and thus wouldn't do that.)
>>
>>8427696
I dunno man, conservation of mass seems like a pretty unbeatable law.
>>
>>8430204
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_mass#Exceptions_or_caveats_to_mass.2Fmatter_conservation
Beatable, but always in the wrong direction...
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.