[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What scientific basis is there for fat people just having bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: metabolism.png (15KB, 220x289px) Image search: [Google]
metabolism.png
15KB, 220x289px
What scientific basis is there for fat people just having bad luck with their genes (opposed to bad self-discipline)?
>>
>>8427336
bad luck? in terms of morbid obesity there are some people with legit metabolic disorders, but the vast majority of fat people who are unhealthy are just disgusting slobs who have no self control.
>>
>>8427336
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hbPXooB1U

An interesting watch. To sum it up, everybody has a 'natural weight' that they will gravitate to if left to their own devices. For some its higher than others, hence why some people struggle with weight more than others. These people will require higher levels of self control to maintain a healthy weight.
>>
Calories in calories out

People are fat because they eat more
People are skinny because they eat less

People are often fat because their parents didn't raise them to eat properly. The amount of times I see some dumb ass mother feeding her infant child a pack of crisps, it's disgusting.

If you eat properly you will be healthy
If you eat poorly you will be fat

The tiny exceptions to the rule do not make up the ridiculous number of people that are fat in the world today.

It is harder to eat healthy nowadays than it was in the past, absolutely everything you see in supermarkets are pumped full of unhealthy shit. If you want to be healthy you've got to pay attention to your diet.
>>
>>8427349
No ones 'natural weight' is obese, the variation in 'natural weight' is pretty small compared to the weights are
>>
>>8427336
The human metabolism is insanely complex. We still don't have a complete picture of how it works.
The physics of this however are very well understood.

Sure there might be cases when you have 2 people who both overeat yet one gains weight faster.
However when eating at a deficit it's physically impossible not to lose weight, whether that's muscle mass first or fat first depends on your genes.
>>
Genes play a part, but bad self discipline is the major cause.
>>
>>8427336
I got bullied in school for being fat so I stopped eating and got skinny af

dunno just felt like sharing my story
>>
Back in the day being fat was a benifit, during a famine you would last longer if you were fat, being fat was seen socially that meant you were rich and had lots of money to buy food and get fat.

Well, nowadays everything is injected wit corn syrup and genetically modified food and steroids, and inner cities only provide junk and fast food. and so obesity sky rockets.

Ahh,, the miracle of science
>>
>>8427496
Bullshit being fat has never been a good thing
Rich people were the only fat ones but people looked up to them because they were rich, the fat was still a downside. The trait of gluttony has been depicted as fat since it's inception
>>
If a baby is born thin, it will become fat in his later years.
If it's born with puppy fat it will become thin later!
This is a fact!
>>
>>8427339
>no self control
>>8427349
>self control
>>8427426
>bad self discipline

lol at all the meme-psychology ITT. getting addicted has little to do with "discipline". People who use that term have no idea how human behaviour / motivation work.
inb4 obese americans call me fat, ahaha

anyway, modern obesity epidemic has to do with widespread poverty and readily available cheap junkfood that is turbo-addictive, which in turn is an effect of unhindered capitalism at work.
I still can't believe it's legal to sell soda to kids..
>>
>>8427336
self-discipline is determined by genes
fat people have bad self discipline
therefore fatness is caused by bad genes
>>
>>8427683
>self-discipline is determined by genes
[citation needed]
>>
What if I am skinnyfat? Check mate
>>
>>8427336
there is no scientific basis for "bad-luck" obesity.
>>
File: Zombie_trash.jpg (10KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Zombie_trash.jpg
10KB, 320x320px
Fatfuck here.
I think a lot of people misunderstand how much self-control can differ between people. Some people can realize they are full and simply say "that's enough I'm done" and they can just walk away. Others like me will literally have withdrawal symptoms from not finishing all food in a meal or making themselves full to the point where it doesn't even have taste anymore. I like eating. If I feel like I didn't eat long enough, I will find more food. My stomach can be telling me to stop, but my head is still in "feast mode." I've lost about 60 pounds from last year after on and off dieting. But wanting to eat has never once gone away. The amount of will power some of you skinny fags think you have is nowhere near what some of us lardass jellyboys have to put up just to stay a fat piece of shit. Anyone who went from fat bastard to normal really deserves full respect. That shit ain't easy.
>>
>>8427336
There isn't. All science points to the fact that other than some very rare exceptions obesity, morbid obesity, super morbid obesity, etc, are caused by the intake of too much energy. Since that energy is in almost all cases from food input to the mouth... fatties just like to fat...

Once we start treating obesity more like a food addiction than some sort of 'oh gurl u beutiful just the wa u r' pitty party we will be a lot better off as a species.
>>
>>8427336
>What scientific basis is there for fat people just having bad luck with their genes

There are hormonal conditions that can cause this. For instance, people with Down's syndrome usually have thyroid issues, and are at a very high risk for a number of other diseases. This is why they typically appear more chubby or endomorphic than the average person.

But morbid obesity? I can't really think of any underlying physical cause for this. On the other hand, I think psychological factors are very valid. A child who was horribly molested might veer toward chronic overeating into their adult years as a way to cope with unresolved traumas.
>>
>>8427791
>>8427682
people have successfully quiet heroin, cocaine, alcoholism, etc., I think you can handle eating an apple instead of a bag of chips you fat fuck
>>
>>8427336
Having no self control is also genetic.
>>
File: 1476922847288.gif (913KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1476922847288.gif
913KB, 500x375px
>>8427809
>start treating obesity more like a food addiction
This. Fatties are kind of fucked though; either eat and get fat, or don't eat and be sad/pissed. Also, this thread is making me hungry as fuck right now.
>>
>>8427349
>To sum it up, everybody has a 'natural weight' that they will gravitate to if left to their own devices.
Sounds like feel-good shit for fatties.
People always say how skinny I am while I eat a lot but desu I also just eat pretty healthy and I don't live in burgerland.
>>
>>8427754
It means you have genes for being skinny but also eat unhealthy.
>>
File: 1477081081700-6000276.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1477081081700-6000276.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>8427822
Never said it was impossible, just difficult. Addiction is some fucked up shit. Drug addicts have a physical dependency and that makes quitting stupid-hard. Food "addicts" have a hard time quitting because they are literally surrounded by food everyday and the consequences are slow to come and relatively minimal on a day-to-day basis. The mentality of "1 bag of chips won't kill me" will only end up killing you in the long run. Plus, there is a psychological dependency to overeating. Sure it's not crack, but fighting so hard on a daily basis is tough.
>>
>>8427838
Yeah, it isn't easy. Sort of like if you took alcoholics and instead of a total sober approach of never drinking again you had to teach them to be fine with daily social drinking of one, and only one, beer a day.
>>
>>8427838
>either eat and get fat, or don't eat and be sad/pissed
Or eat healthy and be neither.
>>
>>8427879
Funny you should say that. For me, fasting diets are by far the easiest. After the first day or so, my appetite is nearly gone... Then it's just weak muscles and lack of focus, but it works.
>>
>>8427856
>he thinks everybody has the same body
>>
>>8427966
No, that would be rather uncomfortable.
>>
>>8427336
>implying genes cannot be negative
>implying eugenics isn't beneficial to society
>implying ethics is objectively reasonable
>>
Different metabolisms take different amounts of energy from the food you eat

I had a friend who ate about 3000 calories a day in hs (he counted them) and stayed at extreme underweight.

But this is just empirical evidence and is no excuse for being fat, i was fat my whole hs time and now i am normal weight, its achieveable no matter how your metabolism works by staying within a plan that fits for you
>>
>>8427336
The obesity "epidemic" is too recent for genetic factors to be blamed. If it was genetic, why are we only seeing the rapid spread of obesity now?
>>
>>8427336
>fat people

Self reinforcing depression temporarily treated by the pleasure of eating.
>>
>>8427336
Practically zero. There are a few edge cases, but they're so rare as to be disregarded for the general case in the absence of clear evidence of whatever problem in their body.
>>
>>8427358
>People are fat because they eat more
>People are skinny because they eat less
Wrong.

Compare fructolysis to just using glucose directly.
>>
>>8428877
>>People are fat because they eat more
>>People are skinny because they eat less

>Wrong.

Then where does the extra mass come from?

Wormholes?
>>
>>8428273
epigenetics
>>
>>8428879
Micheal Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day

Is he fat?
>>
>>8427336
This carbs/protein being converted into fat meme has to stop

>>8427358
>People are fat because they eat more
>People are skinny because they eat less
>If you eat properly you will be healthy
>If you eat poorly you will be fat
>It is harder to eat healthy nowadays than it was in the past, absolutely everything you see in supermarkets are pumped full of unhealthy shit. If you want to be healthy you've got to pay attention to your diet.
You sound like one of those "did you know margarine is one atom away from plastic?" soccer moms.
>>
Its just thermodynamics.

Consume more calories than you burn: gain weight.
Consume less calories than you burn: lose weight

greetings, /fit/.
>>
>>8427419
>whether that's muscle mass first or fat first depends on your genes.

Wrong. It depends on how much you;ve been using your muscles lately.
>>
>>8427336
You see some kids, 7 or 8 years old, who are already really fat and you can't logically blame them. While some manage to cut the weight by puberty, others continue with the lifestyle their parents accustomed them to and to leave it is very hard.
Past a certain point from smoking for several years where every time I tried to quit I would feel incredibly frustrated and anxious I found that for several fat people is that hard to start eating less and practice exercise so I kind of get their struggle.
>>
File: check em 2.jpg (53KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
check em 2.jpg
53KB, 184x184px
>>8427358
>>8427496
>>8427791
>>8427899
>>8430339
Just like /fit/ has broscience, /sci/ has you dopes
>>
>>8430339
It's not [math]just[/math] thermodynamics..The body is not a closed system. You do not literally consume energy. And the body adjusts.

Yes, you can't gain weight if you don't eat anything, but you don't have to bring up something you have no clue about (thermodynamics) to explain that.
>>
>>8430309
Tell me, how does your theory of weight gain manage to violate the laws of conservation of mass and energy?

I suppose you start gaining weight when you eat less than you lose. Why aren't you helping to save starving Africans, oh genius one?
>>
The studies of the epigenetic changes that the sons of the mothers of the Dutch famine suffered. They had a MUCH higher chance of being fat and developing heart problems than statistics would otherwise imply.
>>
/sci/ how do you deal with the fact that all your colleagues are overweight

I'm from Japan studying in the US and everybody disgusts me
>>
>>8430644
Yeah, I'm a genius because I have more than your memetic understanding of nutrition. Thanks, anon

It's not my theory that's retarded, it's your theory. You need to differentiate between total mass and fat. Losing fat without exercising is as easy as decreasing fat intake and increasing carb intake. There are unlimited calorie diets like high carb/low fat that blow your soccer mom's understanding of nutrition outta the water.

If you're gonna reply again, answer this anon first >>8430298
>>
>>8427336

If someone has no self discipline then that is their reason for being fat thus it is what needs to be fixed
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.