[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you justify the money spent on space missions, when millions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: space-program-sprottmoney.jpg (254KB, 1600x1250px) Image search: [Google]
space-program-sprottmoney.jpg
254KB, 1600x1250px
How do you justify the money spent on space missions, when millions are suffering on earth?
>>
They are worthless compared to the possibility of having interplanetary societies.

Besides, our chances of extinction are larger if we spend it on those 'suffering' than they'd be if we colonized Mars/Venus.
>>
>>8427110
>if we colonized Mars
Not in this civilization.
>>
>>8427110
>I can't walk and chew gum at the same time!
ok
>>
>>8427110
Survival of the fittest
>>
>>8427110
How do you justify the money spent on weapons, when millions are suffering on earth?
>>
>>8427110
Those millions are subhuman shitskins, that's how I justify it.
>>
i think we should be more hard pressed to justify our military expenditures, which are astronomical (pardon the expression) in comparison to our space budgets
>>
People will suffer less on another planet.
>>
>>8427110
Utilitarianism is an unworkable philosophy. Please don't appeal to it when I ask "Why should the US worry about the happiness of its poor when they already live better than most of the world?"
>>
>>8427110
How do you justify money spent on movies, when millions are suffering on earth ?
>>
>>8427110
How do you justify shitposing when you could be helping poor Africans?
>>
>>8427177
I would say I follow utilitarianism and that funding space missions is necessary because having only one planet to live on is unwise in maintaining human happiness longterm.

Soooooo, there's that.
>>
>>8427110
How do you justify the money spent on your computer, when millions are suffering on earth?
>>
They won't be suffering on Earth if we send them to space.
>>
>>8427177
The only workable philosophy is solipsism. You'll need a better argument to dismiss utilitarianism out of hand like that.
>>
>>8427110
Depends on the mission. LISA will help scientists massively to understand new concepts. putting a flag on the moon on the other hand, is just propaganda.

In the end, a country has a science budget and can decide where they want to invest it, which could also be a rover on the mars.
>>
>>8427170
>How do you justify the money spent on weapons, when millions are suffering on earth?
Easy. I think most of us can agree that all men should start on an equal playing field. Right now however there are millions of people who aren't suffering. Without weapons how are going to make them suffer?
>>
>>8427110
>How do you justify the money spent on space missions, when millions are suffering on earth?
How do you justify funnelling money and aid into African countries if they're just going to use it to produce more babies and maintain their shit living conditions?
>>
>>8427110
I quite frankly value the possibilities of space travel over their lives.
>>
>>8427110
>How do you justify the money spent on space missions, when millions are suffering on earth?
Not millions but billions.

World can be roughly divided into the golden billion and 6-ish billion poor. Golden billion are people living in North America, Western and Central Europe, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand and the 6-ish billion is everyone else.

What's important to realize is that those 6-ish billion will never be rich and never would have been rich no matter what. The richest billion can be rich because everyone else is poor.

Therefore they were never really going to benefit from the system no matter what and they were not going to colonize space no matter what. Their faith is to languish on ever shittier Earth with ever decreasing resources and worsening climate change while the best and the brightest of Earth move on to better planets that can be terraformed to be real paradises.
>>
>>8427110
Space budgets for any nation are tiny compared to other budgets. And throwing money at sociopolitical problems doesn't fix anything.
>>
>>8427177
>"Why should the US worry about the happiness of its poor when they already live better than most of the world?"

Actually, the US poor are worse of than poor in some eastern european certified shitholes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_inequality-adjusted_HDI
>>
>>8427110
Fallacy of relative privation.
>>
>>8427110
Your question is, survival of the human race, including other generations (7.125+ billion) compared to millions, do you even maths?
>>
>>8427110
None of my business
>>
File: 1472614470377.png (291KB, 640x574px) Image search: [Google]
1472614470377.png
291KB, 640x574px
>>8427725
>The richest billion can be rich because everyone else is poor.
>>
>>8427546
>I think most of us can agree that all men should start on an equal playing field
Literally crab mentality
>>
>>8427110
Why don't you eat nothing but rice and beans while giving all of your remaining money to charity?
>>
>>8427110
Velcro laces.
>>
>>8427110
The weak shall die and the strong shall flourish.
How do you justify ethics?
>>
They would continue to suffer no matter how much space travel we don't do.
>>
File: 1467484122787.jpg (81KB, 480x370px) Image search: [Google]
1467484122787.jpg
81KB, 480x370px
>>8427110
The less money we spend on the suffering millions, the sooner they will die and we'll have solved one more problem and can say good riddance.
>>
>>8427110
Going to Mars gets humanity closer to the next Age with higher Tech which ends up being beneficial to everyone. Also, by Teching up really fast we can overpower our enemies with fewer units.
>>
How do you justify continuing any space mission when it's all bullshit from the start?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPYl7a9Yuk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo
>>
>>8428391
lol, life isnt a videogame you kissles virgin
>>
>>8427110
Because I know what our collective military and defense spending is.
>>
>>8428610
>implying its not closer to a video game than we'd like to believe
>>
Without space travel you don't have Velcro and Tang.

>\thread
>>
>>8427110
>>
>>8427110
bitch please; the cost is minimal compared to all the other usless shit and dick measuring contests of nations...

In the end there is a lot more important shit to be bitching about than space. space at least gives us hope to use some cash of the military budgets of nations to produce stuff that will benefit us (medical space research)
>>
>>8427110
Because all of the money is actually spent here on earth in the very countries funding the research. You want to create jobs? These are jobs that wouldn't exist if not for the goal of reaching Mars or some other goal.
>>
>>8427110
We've had enough for everyone for decades, as well as the means to deploy it. We're just unwilling and too fucked up to do it.

We're deficient gutter trash that deserves to fall by the wayside.
>>
>>8427110
So the same amount of people can suffer but in space.
>>
>>8427110
Human suffering will never end, and suffering is just a mental state that for some reason our brain is programmed to feel even though it leads to mental issues.
>>
>>8427110
Throwing money at hungry nogs just makes more hungry nogs, everybody knows that. It's literally counter-productive. Space missions, on the other hand, are really awesome.
>>
>>8427110

Because the two things are not even related.
>>
>>8427120
>have $10
>can't buy $20 worth of stuff

Even 2 year olds understand this concept
>>
>>8428630
Respawn after I kill you
>>
>>8428720
>All-Star Missions
SOME-BODY ONCE...
>>
>>8427110
Thinking that "just throwing money at it" will solve anything is naive and childish. Taking all the NASA money and giving it to hobos wouldn't solve shit, it wouldn't un-damage those people, because you can't make their alcoholism and other addictions disappear with money, and free money would also give a lot of people incentive to just say fuck it and go hobo.
If you're thinking about places like Africa and what not, then free money/products just wrecks the local economy, and it's not like it's the US's fault that they breed like fucking rabbits. I mean imagine that you work hard, buy a nice house and shit, meanwhile your neighbours, who are already in a shitty financial situation, do nothing but shit out kids, and then ten years down the line they ask you for stuff, because "they are suffering". Would you feel obligated to give anything to them? I know I wouldn't.
>>
>>8427110
>cool science in space vs feeding hungry niggers
hmm...seems like such a hard choice.
>>
salut louis
>>
Shitholes are shitholes because of the People there. There are countless examples of countries doing a great Job of developing themselves. Even goddamn Vietnam, a Country that has seen the equivalent of 1000 Hiroshima bombs falling on its Country, is doing relatively good, because the Vietnamese are not completely fucked in their head. If you build a Highway in Africa, Niggers will chip away the Asphalt and sell it for pennies. If you give an african village a tractor, they will dismantle it and sell the individual parts to a scrap dealer. You could throw as much Money as you want at them. It would be an endless sink. Africa has A LOT to catch up.
>>
As someone posted in the thread you made on /v/
>Feed a starving African
>African has 15 babbies because Africans are retarded
>Now there's 15 more starving people to deal with
Just just chemically castrate the entire continent at this point, maybe Asia too.
>>
b8 thread, sage
>>
space program technology fallout into the private sector.

space travel presents unique problems that require new solutions. Then these new solutions get applied to things in normal life. making life better for everyone.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.