[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This shit really scare me. What is the possibility that one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

File: black.jpg (3KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
black.jpg
3KB, 251x201px
This shit really scare me.

What is the possibility that one comes close to our solar system?

Should I fear this happen? do not know why, but lately it has given me afraid.

pic related, black hole.
>>
>>8426126
Yes, you should fear that shit. It's the only place in the universe where time stops being a thing. You quite possibly could literally go through the process of dying forever dude, we don't know.
>>
We could detect the gravitational influence of an actual black hole, and it'd probably be floating around like a tiny planet in the vast void of space.
>implying black holes are spooky
Now, I really fear the random gamma ray bursts that just happen when stars die, or black holes in the centers of galaxies are firing high energy radiation in our direction.
Well, I guess, black holes are scary if you look at them like that.
>got me there
But it's indirect
>>
>>8426126

Why are you afraid ?
>>
File: Black hole lensing web.gif (714KB, 240x192px) Image search: [Google]
Black hole lensing web.gif
714KB, 240x192px
>not posting the gif that makes you think
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRsGPq77X0Q
>>
>>8426261
>>8426260
Die for one of them is my fear, do not know how I would die, it would be no swallowed up by it, maybe our planet would be released directly to the sun or straight out of the solar system.

Only I'm afraid to die for one, and I repeat my question:

Is it okay to be afraid of this? that one is to blame for my death (and therefore of all humanity)
>>
>>8426248
time doesn't stop on it's surface, it just gets "slow" as measured by an observer not squished on the surface. Time is affected by high speeds and high gravity wells. It is matter - it has mass and takes up space. it's still a solid spherical mass with a surface, just super dense. It's not a mystical portal to another realm.
>>
>>8426126
>>8426260

I've heard it flown around that the 'gravitional object' that might be 'planet x' could be a damn small black hole at around 300-600 AU at around 10 earth masses.

While it's no threat, it does mean those fuckers might be either more common than we would like them to be or we got the short end of the stick.
>>
File: 1447384639353.png (643KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1447384639353.png
643KB, 633x758px
>>8426506

That would be amazing if Planet X was actually a small black hole, assuming it had a stable orbit that wouldn't wreak havoc on the planets or the Sun. Just imagine the research potential if we could study one of them up close instead of having to study them from thousands of light years away. We could have a live recording of matter being absorbed by a black hole in real time instead of artistic interpretations and grainy pixels from telescopes.
>>
File: giant BH.jpg (88KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
giant BH.jpg
88KB, 960x960px
>>8426126
>>
>>8426759
Fuck... too big...
>>
>>8426126
It looks like the belly button of cosmos.
>>
>>8426506
>While it's no threat, it does mean those fuckers might be either more common than we would like them to be or we got the short end of the stick.
How is that "the short end of the stick"? a 10 Earth-mass black hole that's within reach of current spacecraft would be amazing.
>>
>>8426759

BLACKED
>>
>>8426506
>10 earth masses

That's a small hole...
>>
>>8426872

Anon we're not going to get gobbled up by a black hole, don't worry.
>>
>>8426759
Cue inception horn
>>
>>8427545
For you
>>
maybe black holes are shits that dont have atoms, but rather is a void. so when a black hole hits us all our atoms get succed up by void
>>
>>8426506
That literally has never crossed my mind, although the mystery planet is said to be responsible for sending Oort cloud comets towards the inner Milky Way. Would that make sense to be a characteristic of a black hole? (Serious question by the way not just being a dick chin) Like would it make sense that if an object barely survived the escape velocity of the "suction" of the outer regions of a black hole it could be thrown off course and head in a sketchy direction or is escape velocity even a thing with blakk hulls
>>
>>8426126
Non /sci/ poster here, wouldn't a black hole just change the orbit of our entire solar system instead of sucking us into it? Such an enormous gravitation pull, what are the odds that it would be coming at us in the right way to actually pull us in vs just make us spin off in a different direction?
>>
>>8427792
A hole that small would likely evaporate,
Even if it somehow didn't evaporate it would be very easy to spot if there was a black hole in our Solar system.
>>
>>8426491
>It's not a mystical portal to another realm.

But it is.
>>
>>8427832
Yes, the realm of death.
>>
a black hole in our universe is a star in another
>>
File: 1475425840800.png (2MB, 1252x872px) Image search: [Google]
1475425840800.png
2MB, 1252x872px
>>8427868
>>
>>8426126
Space is pretty big. You'll probably be fine.
>>
>>8428410
>Space is pretty big
For you
>>
>>8426126
Why do you care if you suddenly die?
>>
>>8426759
How large can black holes get? Whenever I try to look that up, I just get "as large as 99999999999 suns" instead of a concrete number.
>>
>>8428509
I'm curious about this too. If they can be stable infinitely, or if at a certain point they're physically incapable of absorbing matter quickly enough to offset what they're radiating.
>>
>>8428514
According to this site, they can be infinitely large.
http://www.phys.vt.edu/~jhs/faq/blackholes.html#q8

I don't know how reputable he is, though.
>>
>>8428509
>How large can black holes get?
as size i guess you mean the size of the schwarzschild radius.
the schwarzschild radius is given by r = 2*G*M/c^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M the mass of the object under inspection and c is the speed of light.

for M -> infinity the radius becomes infinite and therefore the black hole grows infinitely large. BUT M is not infinite in our universe, therefore a limit for the size of a black hole exists.
>>
File: Whoa!Signal.jpg (267KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
Whoa!Signal.jpg
267KB, 1024x578px
>>8426126

There is shit out there that will scare you more than black holes my anonymous friend.
>>
>>8428534

>tell that to the largest known black hole in the universe
>>
>>8428541
what is that?
>>
File: greyayylmao.jpg (106KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
greyayylmao.jpg
106KB, 900x675px
>>8428562

>i want to believe
>>
The universe is so large and hostile. It's fucking terrifying how precarious our entire existence is. There are so many threats out there that it makes our daily lives seem like a complete delusion. Of all the things that could kill us I am scared of faggots like the OP the most.
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 299x169px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 299x169px
>>8428562
Wow! signal
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.