[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sort of math classes do you guys use LaTeX for? I have always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: latex.jpg (19KB, 805x342px) Image search: [Google]
latex.jpg
19KB, 805x342px
What sort of math classes do you guys use LaTeX for? I have always heard on here about people using LaTeX for math homework.
I'm in a differential equations class this semester where the homework is just assigned problems from the book.

I'm kinda curious and I have always wanted to give it a try, but do people do that for math classes like differential equations or is it better suited for things like proof classes? Would it be more trouble than it's worth? Would I look like a tryhard?
>>
you'd look like a tryhard. I started using latex for discrete mathematics/intro to proof class, then I kept using it for abstract algebra, real analysis, PDEs, etc.
>>
I use LaTeX in my Differential Geometry, Real Analysis, and Modern Algebra classes. I didn't start before this year because I was
>le smart but too lazy to learn how to do it
>>
It's good for anything with math notation
>>
>>8423853
>What sort of math classes do you guys use LaTeX for

I used if for senior year Quantum Mechanics because the professor gave extra credit for using it.

>Would it be more trouble than it's worth

Depends, do you never mess up when solving a math problem? If you do, then it's way easier to go through it and correct your mistake in latex rather than squeezing it in or crossing it our and drawing arrows to other pages.
>>
>>8423853
Unless your handwriting is really legible, its way better for reviewing how you did in an assignment and comparing to the solutions.
Added benefit is that you keep a PDF copy whereas hand written work u don't get back (at least for a week or two)
>>
>>8423867
>you'd look like a tryhard
How come though?
Obviously I haven't taken a PDEs class yet, but how much different does the work look compared to ODEs that using LaTeX would be beneficial? Other than the use of that curly d.

>>8423890
I do mess up sometimes. The thought of not having to erase stuff is appealing.

>>8423897
The PDF point is also appealing.
>>
>>8423853
>What sort of math classes do you guys use LaTeX for?
all of them

>I'm kinda curious and I have always wanted to give it a try, but do people do that for math classes like differential equations or is it better suited for things like proof classes?
any class

>Would it be more trouble than it's worth?
no

>Would I look like a tryhard?
no, your grader will be happy to see something typed, otherwise you just want to gouge your own eyes out
>>
Who the fuck still uses LaTeX?

Throw that shit into Mathematica. Looks better, and it will actually run the calculations.
>>
>>8424005
>who the fuck uses LaTeX
>firstgrader detected
>firstgrader detected
>firstgrader detected

who use LaTeX ?
mathematicians
who
do their calculations
themselves

Now go back to school and learn some maths
you've just earned the trophy of The Faggot Of the Day.
>>
File: lain4.gif (295KB, 700x704px) Image search: [Google]
lain4.gif
295KB, 700x704px
>>8424005
>Who the fuck still uses LaTeX?
have you browsed the arxiv ever?
>>
>>8424133
> you've just earned the trophy of The Faggot Of the Day

Successful troll is successful?
>>
>>8424005
>Throw that shit into Mathematica. Looks better, and it will actually run the calculations.
holy shit did i really just read this
>>
>>8423853
>use latex! it's much better than word and such
>the formatting and page layout is much more rigurous, it's way better
>you need to learn (ez to use/ez to google commands) after that it's way easier
ok
>uses latex
>admittted: making formulas is great!
>small changes to page layout is a pain
>want to move shit by a couple of pages, pdf compile doesn't do it
>tex file from home pc doesn't work with different latex version my school uses
>compile error keep happening
>what the fuck is with all these packages?!
ugh
>finds out google drive (and word too i think) allows you to insert formulas with tex-syntax
>good bye latex
>>
First year physics student here. I use Latex for handins in one of my classes called modeling and calculations (rough translation, but it's basically computational mathematics.)
>>
>>8424891
Why don't you use online editors like sharelatex if compatiblity is an issue.
>>
>>8424344
>holy shit did i really just read this

Yeah. Are you fucking autistic or what? If you want to learn, stop wasting time typing all that shit out in LaTeX. Work more problems with a pencil or a marker on a whiteboard.

If you're going to go through the trouble of typing it out on a computer, why not use a computational language? Save yourself some time and go fuck a girl afterwards!

Stop being such a cuck. Unless you're a chick, your prof probably doesn't want a blowjob from you.

Fucking apes.
>>
>>8423853
Anything with maths. It's just quicker than using Word/GDocs equation editor and you don't need a load of bloatware or an internet connection to view and edit it

Personally I use markdown (with pandoc), which supports inline LaTeX but is a lot less autistic to use for non-maths and looks not bad as plain text (I still write significant documents in plain LaTeX though, to get more control over formatting)
>>
Well both my professor and the grader say I'm more than welcome to use it since they use it themselves, so I guess I'll give it a try out of curiosity.

How long does it take to learn?
>>
>>8425578
>How long does it take to learn?
Getting it up and running is simple enough. Just download the standard (La)TeX distribution for your operating system (TeXLive, MikTeX, MacTeX), open up one of the simple Latex editors (Texmaker, Texshop) and get going with a simple documentclass: article. That should be enough for the time being.

The rest is then just sophisticated crawling through tex.stackexchange if you want to do more fancy typesetting.

you'll see very quickly if Latex is for you or not.
>>
>>8423853
will I look like a faggot using this for a calc II course? just want to get a head start on learning it for later
>>
>>8424891
>be retarded
>think latex is hard
>>
>>8425583
Thank you
>>
>>8424891
Overleaf
>>
>>8423853
I've written a CALC 3 research assignment with Latex before because the prof requested the assignment printed.
>>
>>8425585
yeah wait till calc 3 before whipping it out, calc 2 is still fucking simple integrals it would be much faster by hand.
>>
>>8423853
I use latex because I can programmatically generate documents that look exactly like I want

>homework
homeworkfags need to die, /sci/ should be a board of professionals, college plebs should hang out in /r9k/ trolling NEETS about college pussy grabbing
>>
>>8423867
>you'd look like a tryhard.
Ignore this twat. Teachers like it when students put effort into assignments, a good presentation in LaTeX is especially nice. The only thing we hate is if you take a page to explain what should be explained in one or two sentences.
>>
>>8425691
You had research assignments in calc 3?
>>
>>8425695
>>8425695
it sounds like anything would be faster by hand
I think using latex is more about neatness and practicality after the fact
>>
>>8424005
>someone actually has wrote this
>>
>>8425820
>implying we wouldn't get called normies for going to college
>>
started using latex in my discrete math class because teacher wanted us to submit the assignement online, and I didnt want to scan it so I learned to use latex. Its pretty useful and makes your homework neat, its a good skill to learn.
>>
>>8424005
>not using Matlab and publishing with Latex
end ur life plebe
>>
>>8423853
I used LaTeX for my most recent classes.. Formulas are nice, text is nice but it's a pain to work with in general. It's old technology and could be made more convenient without sacrificing to much.
>>
>>8425165
Mat-inf1100?
>>
>>8423853
don't be a fucking autist, it's essential for longer projects involving proofs or complex applied problems but doing it for homework you hand in is just silly and doing it for diff eq is cringeworthy.

>>8423981
>How come though?
because its an unnecessary level of complication, just fucking write. i dont care how used to it you are, writing out a formula by hand is quicker and easier than latex, typing is faster than writing so if there's a large amount of text with symbols/formulas it's worth it and the added neatness becomes critical but unless your handwriting is absolute shit when your homework is a list of solutions to problems (problems with fucking numbers in them no less) just writing is easier for everybody.

of course on the flip side no one is going to look at your homework except your professor and maybe a grader and the graders opinion doesnt matter cuz hes a grad student even if he thinks you're a fag and the professor is a fucking math professor so obviously he won't give a shit. so if pretending to be smarter and using nerdier tools than necessary is worth more to you than efficiency then don't worry what other people think about it.

fwiw after a few weeks of practice it isnt much slower than writing but when you are first getting used to it it will be a massive pain in the ass to do anything.

>>8424005
what in the actual fuck did i just read

also: using latex instead of writing is kind of like using linux instead of windows. bunch of command line computer bullshit to deal with instead of just fucking do what you are trying to do, lots of fucking around with packages involved, impossible for a total layperson to figure out. but if you are doing high level math/cs stuff it makes everything a million times easier.
>>
>>8426012
>using latex instead of writing is kind of like using linux instead of windows.
Sums it up pretty well, ruins the bait though.
>>
>>8426012
>using latex instead of writing is like using linux instead of windows

lol, obvious bait is obvious
kill yourself
>>
>>8426012
Nah, my professor says she's okay with it, and I want to see what it's like out of curiousity, so I'm going to give it a try.

It's not about "pretending to be smarter" and trying to impress people by using over complicated methods, but rather taking the opportunity to learn a new skill by using it to do something you would normally do anyways, i.e. your diffeq homework.

>using latex instead of writing is kind of like using linux instead of windows

Honestly you sound exactly the /v/ simpletons that are infesting /g/ right now, so I really don't expect you to have the capacity to understand why it might be appealing to venture a different method than the normal one. Thanks for affirming why your post should be disregarded, though.
>>
I started LaTeXing for my intro proofs class sophomore year. I got my prof to start sending out the raw tex in his problem sets (to which he was happy to oblige) so I can include the problem above my solution. Plus, with proofs you'll often end up scrapping everything when you check your work at the end. LaTeX makes this SO much easier.

Still, do the homework by hand first anyway, since the test will be by hand.

>>8426367
>Honestly you sound exactly the /v/ simpletons that are infesting /g/ right now, so I really don't expect you to have the capacity to understand why it might be appealing to venture a different method than the normal one. Thanks for affirming why your post should be disregarded, though.

You don't need to use linux to do basic shit
You don't need LaTeX to do basic shit
>>
>>8426592
>You don't need to use linux to do basic shit
>You don't need LaTeX to do basic shit

I didn't say that..
>>
>>8426367
>Nah, my professor says she's okay with it,
like i said, your prof is a professional math nerd, of course she isn't going to care.

>It's not about "pretending to be smarter" and trying to impress people by using over complicated methods, but rather taking the opportunity to learn a new skill by using it to do something you would normally do anyways, i.e. your diffeq homework.
ok but you are taking something simple and making it much more complicated and difficult. and the only advantage is if you ever have a project for which latex is actually appropriate, you'll learn it slightly faster. the only reason you would make such a choice is because it makes you feel smart.

>Honestly you sound exactly the /v/ simpletons that are infesting /g/ right now, so I really don't expect you to have the capacity to understand why it might be appealing to venture a different method than the normal one. Thanks for affirming why your post should be disregarded, though.
what the fuck are you talking about

FYI i have a masters in math, linux installed on my chromebook and dual boot ubuntu/windows on my desktop, and i wrote my thesis and every other project in grad school in latex. im not saying either is inherently bad or anything, stop spending so much time on 4chan. im just pointing out that in many ways they are comparable. both rely on typing out text commands, where the simpler alternative does not. both involve fucking around with a bunch of packages on your computer if you want to do anything cool. both have a much steeper learning curve than the alternative. both are utterly unknown to people outside math/hard STEM academia. both are extremely useful tools for high level math/cs stuff, and both are unnecessarily complex and difficult for basic tasks like first year homework with no reason to use them aside from some desire to feel smart.
>>
>>8426012
I run linux and do all my homework in latex so I guess you're onto something.
>>
File: pepe846.jpg (90KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pepe846.jpg
90KB, 600x600px
>>8426012
are you still in grade school? only children should be allowed to hand in handwritten assignments, you should behave like a professional student and hand in typed assignments if you're at a university or college
>>
I used latex since freshman year to submit all of my exercises. Feelsgoodman knowing that latex is like a second language to me now, and I can work with pretty much anything without problems/googling around too much.
>>
>>8426712
>you are taking something simple and making it much more complicated and difficult

I understand that, but I really don't care. It's just something I want to try. It's not like I'd let it interfere with my work. The homework is easy anyways. I wouldn't be spending my free time doing anything but browsing the internet, so why not take the opportunity to spend it doing something at least sightly productive? It's really not that big of a deal.

>the only reason you would make such a choice is because it makes you feel smart
I just don't understand why you think that. I don't care what other students or professors think of how my homework looks. I'm not looking for compliments and praise. I just wanted to try something that might make things more interesting and turn something relatively mundane into a learning experience.

>what the fuck are you talking about
I guess you don't know what /g/ is like. Maybe I should browse 4chan less. I don't know if you meant it but your post contained the same hostility and the same comments that shitposts from Linux haters on /g/ usually do, and it just pissed me off.
>>
File: IMG_20161022_030311.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_030311.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>8423897
Yeah, no.
>>
>>8427732
Mine is very legible but it looks like a fucking child's. At least yours is aesthetic.
>>
>>8425165
Who the fuck are u?
UiO senpai?
>>
>>8423853
Lab reports
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.