[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mathematician arbitrarily chose the expected value, E[X]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: angry pepe.jpg (3KB, 146x146px) Image search: [Google]
angry pepe.jpg
3KB, 146x146px
>mathematician arbitrarily chose the expected value, E[X] of a given probability distribution X:S-> R to be the sum of all (value_i - mean)^2 times p_i because it is convenient to work with.

how is this allowed? Why not just take the absolute value of it instead of squaring it
>>
>>8420658
>derivative of |x| is a fun thing to work with
>>
File: what.jpg (26KB, 450x274px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
26KB, 450x274px
>>8420660

it is true tho, how the fuck do you interpret the currently accepted E[X] in words? The squaring removes any meaning from it
>>
That's a very strange definition you have there. Pretty sure you mixed something up.
Reference?
>>
File: you get the idea.png (11KB, 1588x123px)
you get the idea.png
11KB, 1588x123px
>>8420667

this is for when the domain is N, but you get the idea.
>>
File: i mean the variance.png (3KB, 607x111px) Image search: [Google]
i mean the variance.png
3KB, 607x111px
>>8420667
>>8420676

wait, I meant the variance, not the mean, the mean makes complete sense.
>>
>>8420658
Also, on re-read, you fucked up OP:
[eqn]Var(X) := E[(x_i - \bar{X})^2] = \sum_i p_i (x_i - \bar{X})^2 [/eqn]
>>
>>8420691

yea well whatever, i meant the variance.
>>
>>8420695
>Perhaps you can say what is confusing you
Var(X) is just the 'sum' of of squared distances from the mean, weighted by the probability of observing a given [math]x_i[/math].
> sum here being a placeholder for either summation or integration
>>
>>8420709

why the arbitrary choice of squaring it, why not use the absolute value of it. Like I said >>8420666
>>
>>8420715
If X and Y are independent, then Var(X+Y)=Var(X)+Var(Y). This would not be true if you used the absolute value instead of the square.
>>
>>8420715
What would the central limit theorem look like if our standard were based on the absolute value? From a practical perspective, we get a lot of mileage out of the CLT.

>>8420728 makes an equally good point, and is again grounded in the notion that 'it is easier to work with'.

Also, what you are proposing/asking about, [math]E[|x_i - \bar{X}|][/math], is sometimes used, depending on the context.
>>
>>8420751
>What would the central limit theorem look like if our standard were based on the absolute value?

There is just a constant factor between the standard derivation and the average distance to the mean for a normal distributed variable. A normal distributed random variable [math]X [/math] has the property that

[eqn] V(X) = E[(X - E(X))^2] = \frac{2}{\pi} \left( E[|X - E(X)|] \right)^2 [/eqn]
>>
>>8420788
But we don't parameterize the normal distribution this way.
>>
File: Capture6.png (11KB, 741x154px) Image search: [Google]
Capture6.png
11KB, 741x154px
>be pissed off at this thread
>forgot that I recently started browsing /g/ and installed Noscript
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.