[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can we make math more trendy? I'm a (pure) mathematician

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

File: 1443298055315.jpg (3MB, 1600x2195px) Image search: [Google]
1443298055315.jpg
3MB, 1600x2195px
How can we make math more trendy?

I'm a (pure) mathematician working on my phd. When I'm in bar with my CS buddy, women always find it cool that he makes websites and mobile apps for a living. Meanwhile no-one is ever interested in what I do, and I couldn't even explain it to someone who hasn't the sufficient math prerequisites (i.e 99% of population).
>>
File: 1460666356990.png (10KB, 352x298px) Image search: [Google]
1460666356990.png
10KB, 352x298px
>>8419992
People usually tell me that it's cool and that they loved math and that it's for smart people. But yeah not much of a conversational topic regardless.
>>
>>8419992

Say 1 thing that a pure mathematician do that is directly relatable to an average person. None.
>>
>>8419992
sexy mathematician calenders
>>
>>8420027
I'm pretty certain pure mathematicians piss, shit, eat, and drink just like an average person too anon
>>
>>8419992
if you're just trying to get laid just say you make models for the stock market
>>
>>8420131
That just makes things worse because then they say
>WOW Anon I have $10,000 in my bank what stocks should I buy
>>
>>8420133
Thats okay just make shit up nobody knows what the stock market will do anyway lel
>>
>>8420142
Lel.
Correct answer.
>>
>>8419992
Aren't there enough Chinese women in your department?
>>
>>8420133
Or just get some basic knowledge on the stock market.
>>
>>8419992
The problem is not that CS is trendy and Math isn't. They talk about creating things women use all the time and it makes them interested. If the CS guys were taking about creating algorithms and designing databases, it would be just as boring. Try talking about/find a hobby that relates to their daily life.
>>
>>8420239
This. I can talk about e.g. Stitchfix and how features get built bc using the features is relatable. Blah blah blah topology of the reals blah blah blah doesn't sound anything used on a daily basis.

OP you put yourself in this position on purpose by choosing pure maths. If you want to be relatable you have to work where the people are ... Not so far outside that you are a < 1% outlier
>>
what is cs?
>>
>>8420264
Computer science
>>
>mfw I always wanted to into CS but I'm simply shit at it
>>
>hahaha omg I hated math so much in school!

How do you respond to a cute girl that says this?
>>
>>8420281
You get up, turn 360 degrees and walk away. She's not the one for you.
>>
>>8420042
those are all my favorite activities!
>>
>>8419992

$Maths are trendy. Stop dating coalburners.
>>
OP, it is not mathematics the problem, it is you. Shit, I have no such problem with females working on higher spin theories.
>>
>>8420281
This>>8420290
Or if you are desperate, tell her that she porbably wasn't taught well, and tell her about lockhart's lament amd how creativeaths really is
>>
>>8420281
3DPD no
>>
>>8420281
Look at her with annoyed face and say: "That's cool"

Why would I ever start conversation with someone this ignorant?
>>
>>8420386

Because loving intelligent women is a cuck's pleasure. Only thing which matter with girls is their body.
>>
>>8420390
What. You don't need to love a girl to talk with her.
Bodies of 3D woman are disgusting anyway.
The only reason why I would talk with woman is having some interesting topic to discuss. Same with talking to man.
>>
>>8420390
Bodies are only important for one night stands or fwb kind of deals.
If you don't want to spend your whole life as a bachelor, now would be a good time to accept that all hot women you meet will look like shit in 10 years so might as well choose someone who's IQ is not closer to a gorilla than it is to yours.
If you only want to fuck her then, by all means, just smile and say whatever you have to.
>>
>>8420281
tell her how hard it is and how smart you are
>>
>>8419992
Just lie, my research topic can turn pussies into deserts but I learned enough machine learning (especially funny anecdotes) to impress strangers.
>>
>>8420786
>Just lie
I agree, Lie theory is pretty dandy

Just use the buzzwords. Say some shit about chaos, dimensions, drop the word matrix and the panties will drop.
>>
>>8419992
Just talk about how you develop the stuff engineers and pretty much everyone else uses to solve their problems (even if you don't actually do it directly).
>>
File: cat.spaghetti.gif (2MB, 250x274px) Image search: [Google]
cat.spaghetti.gif
2MB, 250x274px
>>8420786
>>8420810
>>8420386
>>8420390
>>8420397
>>8420398
>>8420412

T-tell me more, onegaishimasu.
>>
>>8419992
>Math isn't trendy becasue the way schools teach it is outdated.

Behaviorism is an old meme... and in may ways generates drops outs and failures. Grading systems are a fucking shitty way to judge intelligence - in many ways there are the opposite. A sufficiently powerful computer like IBM Watson can graduate the 12th grade with all A's and ace the SATs, but can't pass a Turing test. You have to turn the education system on it's head to make Math, or any subject for that matter, trendy.
>>
>>8419992
Learn how to neatly arrange your words so it doesn't sound boring. I'm an astrophysicist and what I really do is I sit in an office all day programming, sending e-mails, drinking coffee, sitting through mind-numbingly dull phone conferences. What I do day-to-day is super boring. It doesn't even have anything to do with astronomy per se. Still, I talk about astronomy if I feel they are interested in that kind of stuff, if not, I talk about the experiment I work on which is located in a cool remote area, I talk about the interesting people you can meet there and how difficult living conditions are there or just how beautiful the place is. I usually always find something that sounds like I do amazing shit. It's not like most people have interesting jobs anyway, so the threshold sits rather low.
>>
>>8419992
>How can we make math more trendy?
You can't. CS runs pretty much purely on math in the background but the reason people find CS cool and math lame is because CS is used to construct things while math, beyond elementary level, is completely useless to 99% of people that aren't pure mathematicians.

Therefore math will never be considered as cool as CS even if we achieve singularity.
>>
>>8420264
Cum swallow
>>
>>8420281
Call her a brainlet, ask her to never speak to me or my wife's son ever again and tell her to fuck off
>>
>>8419992
The better question is how can we decolonise it

http://theconversation.com/yes-mathematics-can-be-decolonised-heres-how-to-begin-65963
>>
>>8419992
People know what websites are, but if you bring up a math concept that is only ever discussed with other mathematicians, they will have no idea what you are talking about.

Try to simplify a difficult concept and explain it in an elegant way.
>>
>>8419992
Why would we want that, though? CS used to be just another area of mathematics. Then people started pushing it as 'trendy' and suddenly CS courses filled up with insufferable "when are we going to start making video games?" sperglords. Do you want maths courses filling up with people who aren't interested in the material and are only there because they heard it was the new craze?
>>
>>8421756
>Try to simplify a difficult concept and explain it in an elegant way.
If you can't do this to begin with, you don't properly understand your work anyway. Compartmentalization is the quickest way to make yourself worthless.

I'm not sure what to call this more unified understanding of the underpinnings and cross-relations of things. Lateral thinking is similar, but not quite. It's a form of abstraction to the most general case. Nonetheless, people like Feynman used it extensively, and it's why people can watch is lectures and understand things with a decent degree of accuracy, without a deep knowledge of more or less anything.
>>
>>8420281
Ask her what she enjoys. When she inevitably says something like music, just reply with "hahaha I fucking hate music". I mean, this won't get you laid, but it'll be funny.
>>
>>8421801
Lol'd.
>>
TLDR: Physics

Just talk about any actual application your work is (hopefully) involved with. If your area has no relation to the non-symbolic world then why would a person outside of math give two shits. I suppose you could talk about how research in areas completely unrelated to everyday life led to the thing we love. I.e., the internet at CERN or small electronics from the space race etc.

OR you could take up a hobby and involve math with it. For instance, a buddy of mine used statistical leaning to better predict winners in fantasy hockey. Now would a woman appreciate this over bar talk? Probably not, but I'd think it would have a better chance than "Yeah, but if you only knew the intricacies of the Dolean's Measure!!!"

TLDR2: lrn 2 relate to people
>>
Just gym, tan, laundry for awhile. You could say ingredients off the back of a cereal box and as long as you look and sound good doing it a girl at a bar will fold into your stringy but strong arms so you can enjoy the infinitesimal interval prior to premature ejaculation in the back of an Uber.
>>
>encourage more math graduates
>driving down my 300k starting
I don't think so Tim
>>
>>8419992
Just talk about probability and mathematical puzzles. One of my friends is a great fan of mathematical puzzles (he even wrote a book on the subject) and whenever people ask him what he finds so interesting about math, he tells them about a counterintuitive probability fact or gives them a riddle (that doesn't require any actual math to understand).
Usually people are intrigued and like to think about it. That's a way to convey what makes math interesting.
>>
>>8421853
I'm apt to hate probability related stuff. The moment he tried to start spouting oversimplified probability "facts", it would immediately begin a descent into epistemology and neuroscience.

Don't peddle your delusional garbage heuristics around me, bud.
>>
>>8421860
What on earth are you talking about riddles are fun and simple. Probability facts can be fun like the whole finding two people in a bar that share the same birthday. Not even that guy but I've loved riddles my whole life.
>>
>>8421860
I don't know what in that post made you sperg out so badly.
>>
>>8421863
Okay, as long as it's probability in a vacuum, not meant to highlight any hard actuality of the real world. It irritates me to no end to hear the "you're more likely to die driving than on a plane" and to see probability naively applied to disease modeling and prediction. Absolutely fills me with primal disgust nearing a point of irrational rage.

I'm becoming enraged Anon. I think I ought to step out.
>>
>>8420290
>turn 360
>walk away
Yes, that's how it works.
>>
>>8419992
could there be like a Niel Tyson for math?
>>
>>8419992
>pure (((math)))
aren't you just bitter that you're virtually excluded from the dating pool
>>
>>8421580
When did this decolonization meme start? In my old English syllabus, there is a lot of stuff that sounds like the precursors to this rhetoric. It talks about how "people's perceptions of discoveries, their significance and meaning, is influenced by their perspective and culture", which to me doesn't sound too dissimilar to "Scientific discoveries must be made to fit an African perspective". Is this just from too much liberal arts?
>>
>>8420412
>clearly wrong
Tell her how smart it is and how hard you are. It's called the panty dropper. Trust me, anon
>>
>>8419992
The last thing maths wants to be is trendy
>>
>>8420862
I'm currently 4th year physics and astrophysics undergrad. I really, really want to do some for of professional research (very much into theory but don't know if I can math enough).
My two areas of interest are high-gravity systems and particle physics.
I haven't studied groups and symmetries yet (that's next year) so I also don't know if I can math for that.

What should I do anon? Astro or particle?
>>
File: 1474995244245.png (2MB, 1920x1602px) Image search: [Google]
1474995244245.png
2MB, 1920x1602px
>>8422098

Not that anon but technically since math is abstract there actually is various unique ways to perceive and construct mathematical structures. Unlike science which is fundamentally based on observation/ tangibility of real world phenomena. Math is fundamentally a "fill in the holes in how you think a system logically works until it functions to your liking" kinda speel.

It's why you see different mathematical logic in various forms like the magic squares aiding in the construction of buildings in ancient China or binary systems used in Ifa divination in West Africa.

It's why there have been intense debates about Euclid vs. non-Euclid geometry to the point of going full philosophical and different economic systems.

It's also why anons on /sci/ constantly yell "computer science isn't a science" to others.
>>
>>8421868
He probably means Monty hall or something.
>>
>>8420398
It's not even about IQ though. Any of these 'intellectuals' who posit that you have to be partnered with someone of equal intellectual footing have never been in a real relationship. Over time it becomes pretty clear that there are much more important things in a woman than being able to engage in mutual mental masturbation.
>>
>>8420281

Roll up on that honey and be like, " I know right? If u like, i can take you back to my place and teach you how to conjugate."
>>
>>8422240
Obviously if you aren't actually 'happy' with her that's another story and you should probably get out of the relationship in that case. There are other factors, which would detract from her attractiveness, that aren't dependent on IQ(e.g. batshit crazy, high maintenance etc.) but for me personally a woman not being able to hold a meaningful conversation is a big nono.
>>
>>8420281
>>8421801 has the correct first step:
>Ask her what she enjoys.
Then relate math to it.

For example if she says something like music, explain how the irrationality of sqrt(2) is related to the dissonance of the tritone.

If she enjoys bitching about other girls or shopping for accessories, channel your inner Nash and talk about the tragedy of the commons or the importance of 'cheap talk' as a signalling model.

If she's a fan of a particular TV or book series that you're also familiar with, you can try analyzing the characters' behavior and decisions using game-theoretic or AI frameworks.

Of course this actually requires you to understand the math to the level where you can explain the concepts to a layperson. And some branches have it easier than others.
But it shouldn't be much harder than explaining math to an attentive undergraduate anyway. And if she isn't being attentive while you're talking, you're almost certainly wasting your time.
>>
Y'all are dumb. When actors/athletes/doctors/lawyers walk into a bar (it's usually for a joke, I suppose) they don't start trying to relate what they do to what the chick likes.

"Oh you like music? wanna hear how the ear works?" Fucking no, Doogie Howser. "Oh you like clothes? Wanna know the types of clothes I wear practicing football?" No Tom Brady, just take your damn shirt off.

No one cares about how interesting your work is; you do, that's why you do it. They care about how interesting you are. And if your study of mathematics is the only thing that's interesting about you then I have some bad news. You are not defined by the thing you do most. Become interested in something outside of that. It could even be math related like community outreach. But it doesn't have to be. Einstein played the violin, Oppenheimer loved philosophy, Feynman hung out at strip clubs everyday and learned how to paint.
>>
>>8422921
OP's question isn't "how do I use math to pick up chicks" though.
>>8419992

If OP wanted serious relationship advice he could hardly have chosen a worse place to ask than the science and mathematics board.
>>
File: 1456328383460.jpg (70KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1456328383460.jpg
70KB, 800x900px
>>8423030
>>
>>8422216
I can understand that, but surely the generally accepted versions of mathematics currently function in a way that is not exclusive to white people? I mean, does your skin tone or culture really change the way you think about concepts like a point or line?
>>
>>8422553
This is the most aspergers thing I have heard. Anon. If a girl isn't interested in Maths, don't say some shit like "Hey, I'll just analyse the characters in your favorite show using game theory". She doesn't want to hear about your boring irrelevant major in every topic. Let it go, or find someone who is interested in math
>>
The remnants of a shooting star landed directly on my broke down little car. We fold and we had made a wish, that we would be missed.

Oh that's what I'm waiting for, that's what I'm waiting for, that's what I'm waiting for, aren't I.
>>
>>8423519

>but surely the generally accepted versions of mathematics currently function in a way that is not exclusive to white people?

The functions themselves are not exclusive but the presentation is less than inclusive. Especially to those who are not quite invested in western society and infrastructure.

>I mean, does your skin tone or culture really change the way you think about concepts like a point or line?

Well you have to remember that to some cultures there's a big significance to those points and lines. The mere arrangement of two coverging lines for example can be the difference between a religious icon or a secular statement of no progress or a substitution in value. Both which have been compounded by centuries of social movements and tradition.

Add some fire to those arranged coverging lines and you can spook some elderly blacks. Arrange a series of points into particular sets then concave them and you have a language for the blind.

So yeah concepts like a point and line can really matter especially if you arrange it in a particular way. Heck some times the mere negative space of an object is enough to trigger a reaction.
>>
If you can't explain what you do in a meaningful way to a layman, then you are a failure of a mathematician.
>>
File: justanotherhomeless.jpg (32KB, 250x500px) Image search: [Google]
justanotherhomeless.jpg
32KB, 250x500px
>>8423847
Are you retarded?
>>
>>8423887
No, you are apparently, however.
>>
>>8419992
fuck off. your not doing math for social status, if youare then quit pleb
>>
>>8419992
>find it cool that he makes websites and mobile apps for a living

And you'd want to talk to someone like that, huh?
>>
>>8423928
>your
you're*
>>
>>8423948
looks like you won another argument thanks to my lack of grammar
>>
File: Untitled.png (78KB, 776x868px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
78KB, 776x868px
I can't find a better thread for this but help an idiot out.

Why is there 3n in the red part?
>>
>>8423958
Yep, sorry. Better luck next time!
:^)
>>
>>8423986
the killzone cylinder has volume v_killzone = pi * r_killzone^2 * h_killzone

the swarm sphere has volume v_swarm = 4/3 * pi * r_swarm^3

it looks like they assumed h_killzone = r_swarm

i also substitute r_killzone = r_bullet + 2r_bee

then kills = n * v_killzone / v_swarm

= 3/4 * [(r_bullet + 2r_bee) / r_bee]^2

it looks like they lost the 4 from the denominator.
>>
>>8424018
So they randomly dropped the 4?
>>
>>8424018
correction:

h_killzone = 2 * r_swarm, so that would result in having an extra 2 in the numerator. the final result would be

= 3/2 * [(r_bullet + 2r_bee) / r_bee]^2

maybe they accidentally squared that 2 when they squared the radius of the killzone, which would have caused the 4 to be totally wiped out of the denominated. or maybe theres another 2 somewhere that i forgot about.
>>
>>8424018
>it looks like they assumed h_killzone = r_swarm
Also, wouldn't h_killzone be diameter of swarm, not radius?
>>
>>8424034
>>8424035
>>8424028
>>8424018
Hmm I'll have to take a look at this again later. Just found it randomly and got stumped by a seemingly simple application.
>>
>>8419992
Maybe you should work on being able to explain what you do.
>>
>>8423887
Who is that semen demon?
>>
File: 4HgSpk3.jpg (230KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
4HgSpk3.jpg
230KB, 598x792px
>>8423841
>The functions themselves are not exclusive but the presentation is less than inclusive
But very little of the presentation of Mathematics is western-centric. Occasionally, some historical context might be added by the prof saying something like "Newton and Libiniz both derived calculus around the same time", but if any significant portion of the class is devoted to the historical context of the maths, its a shit class.
>The mere arrangement of two coverging lines for example can be the difference between a religious icon or a secular statement of no progress or a substitution in value
True, but anyone who cannot detatch their outside life from representation in mathematics may not really be a good mathematician. Any devout christian, for example, should still be able to work on a Cartesian plane even through culturally he could see a cross as being a religious icon.If he was truly discouraged from pursuing a career in maths because one of the shapes looked like something culturally significant, I don't think he would be cut out for maths, seeing as much of it requires at least partial abstraction.
>>
>>8420133
>let me invest it for you
>>
>>8421869
Being this new
>>
>>8425001
>Being so new as to fall for someone pretending to be new
Look how new he is.
Oh no, but what if I'm new now?! Where does the chain end! How can we know who's really new??!
>>
>>8425003
>being this new
>>
>>8423847
this.
>>
File: 1475985641039-b.jpg (42KB, 541x498px) Image search: [Google]
1475985641039-b.jpg
42KB, 541x498px
>>8422553
>even a marginal understanding would be enough to bullshit her into making you sound smart.

or you could talk about how much math professors get payed. that would make some girls wet.
>>
>>8420281
I usually give them a sarcastic "thanks" and let them realize for themselves the mistake they made
>>
>>8419992
Tell them it's all bullshit but it's pretty good for working out your taxes or knowing how many tins of paint you have to buy to paint your apartment walls.
>>
>>8422553
>dissonance of the tritone
Do you honestly think the average person that claims an interest in "music" will have any idea what that means?
>>
>>8426047
>being
>>
>>8427586
$40,000/year?
>>
>tfw studying to be a theoretical computer scientist
Worst of both worlds tbqh. At least I'm not as autistic as some of my classmates. [spoiler]My qt 200-level professor offered me a job grading for her out of the blue today, so that was quite nice
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.