[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point in science when Ivy league frat bros will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 1402586430713[1].jpg (7KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1402586430713[1].jpg
7KB, 205x246px
What's the point in science when Ivy league frat bros will always shit on you and benefit off the fruits of your labor?

The guy who invented lipitor made billions for pfizer then got FIRED.

The MBA middle manager fucks take your research and knowledge then make fortunes off it. Even if you become a tenured professor you're probably making your university millions and millions while seeing 200k tops, while the football coach of the university is getting paid 10 million a year.

Being a scientist is basically "work like a dog for next to nothing compared to your true value, while corporate parasites and universities seeking grant gibsmedats from the government profit tremendously off your work"
>>
>>8417321
>What's the point in science when you don't make money?
Figuring things out. If you think this is about money then you're suffering from a very serious misconception. Money is not the same thing as value. Most rich people, like most people, are hollow idiots. Money has very little to do with "value". If you want to be Kim Kardashian then you should definitely not pursue science or math.
>>
Oh, you sweet summer child...

Your main concern shouldn't be getting milked by Chad. You'll be lucky to even make it that far. You should be worried about even getting your foot in the door without being backstabbed by dozens of other highly qualified scientists who will try to steal your work.
>>
>>8417321
>while seeing 200k tops
>only 200k
if you did science to get rich you are retarded, regardless beyond like 85-90k happiness from money plateaus
>>
File: 1300574251052[2].png (39KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1300574251052[2].png
39KB, 645x773px
>>8417338
Oh believe me I know. You'd be lucky to even get a postdoc and adjunct position making a slave living

Science is basically a huge meme
>>
>>8417321
>le seize the means of production
you sound like a typical burnout commie to be honest

the reality is that you're just a small cog in a big machine and there are hundreds of equally good people just gagging for the opportunity to take your place.

pick up a damn economics book
>>
>>8417344
>wanting money makes you a communist

Americans, everybody!
>>
>>8417344
t. person who never got past econ 101
>>
>>8417321
All of this because of inflated egos. It's hard to let go of science when you know you have the skills and intelligence to pursue it.
>>
>>8417321
That's pretty much any job to be fair. The work you do is always worth more than the compensation you receive for it. It applies all the way from a minimum wage dishwasher up through a low six figure salary job. The only people who ever beat this system are CEOs and other high level corporate executives.
>>
File: takethebigbag[1].jpg (101KB, 745x960px) Image search: [Google]
takethebigbag[1].jpg
101KB, 745x960px
>>8417452
>>
>>8417321
Welcome to free-market society anon!

>your true value

Think of your wage instead as the minimum amount your dignity would allow you to accept+1 cent. This is more like how your employer would calculate it.
>>
>>8417513
dat b tru muh nigga
>>
>>8417321

>going into academia for money

That's your problem right fucking there. If you really want to make money, use your skills to start a business
>>
>>8417321
Do you want to contribute to humanity or do you want to make money?
>>
>>8417344
If you've picked up an economics book you'd realise that he's perfectly right.

He's not talking about labour supply, he's talking about inventions. And it's more general knowledge than economics but scientists never make money off their inventions, except for those whose inventions were marketable and they had the business sense to exploit it.
>>
>>8417789
>Do you want to contribute to humanity or do you want to make money?

Well, the problem is that all of the people who want to contribute to scientific understanding and human progress are basically consumed by the worthless psychopathic parasites who make all of the money, and already HAVE enough money to buy the rest of the fucking money.

That whole transhumanist meme?

It'll be the psychopaths who dictate what the cyber-augments DO, and rest assured, if you DO spring for those cyber-modifications, you WILL be borgified to serve their profit margin.
>>
>>8417794
No, if you had picked up an economics book you'd have realised that the problem he's bitching about is that capital is concentrated in the hands of the few who can then use it to extract a disproportionate amount of other peoples labour.

In this case the capital is the facilities, knowledge, and money that is supplied to researches in return for their work. In essence, you're bitching about the foundations of the capitalist system.

Now shut up and pick up an economics book you damn land value tax commie.
>>
>>8417796
This very post, I started reading as a huge faggot and now I'm still a dumb semi confused guy but I need help.
>>
>>8417800
Are you trying to use big words to win an argument? You're describing what he says.
>>
>>8417796
Mate investors ain't psychopaths. Greedy, ambitious, jerks even. But they're not malevolent. And even the richest man is a bitch to the market - consumers. The only way they'll stay rich is if they sell and pander augs to consumers. Maybe they'll plant an inferiority complex in people through advertising or sell the best augs to rich people but they're not overlords.

Don't like it? Change. Start a company, make it wildy successful, and pay your scientists all the profit. I guarantee you you won't do it.
>>
>>8418058
>he bitches about capitalism
>I accuse him of being a commie and tell him to read an economics book to understand why communism is dumb
>some idiot tells me that his communistic viewpoint is right and that if I'd read a economics book I'd have realised it
>I explain that he's complaining about capitalism itself since he seems to be unknowingly rejecting
>you tell me I'm describing his complaint and he's actually a bona fide commie

Well, it's good to know that we're on the same page, now let me know why you think capitalism is bad (and explain your alternative) so I can btfo out of you again.
>>
>>8418088
nobody said anything about communism, /pol/
>>
>>8418088
Real talk, have you actually gone past micro and macro or is your knowledge limited to econ 101? Because your understanding is pretty simplistic.
>>
>>8418158
I am "real talking" and it's quite evident I know my shit. Do you? Because I seriously doubt it.
>>
>>8418353
I mean, it's been a few years since I took micro but I don't remember ever being taught that people wanting to be paid more was literally equivalent to communism.
>>
>>8418353

>evident I know my shit

no it's not at all you haven't shown any understanding of advance nor basic understanding (not saying you don't have).

You sound retarded.

not him btw.
>>
>>8417343
>Science is basically a huge meme
life is a fucking meme
>>
>>8418384
This. Wanting to be paid more is pure rational self interest, the very essence of capitalism.
>>
>>8417321
wtf I'm a Marxist now
>>
>>8418386
This. Get born without consent, suffer through school and uni without learning anything useful besides reading and doing math, figure shit out by yourself at every job, spend all your cash so you barely survive, die anyway. Wtf?!
>>
>>8417344
You need to google what a communist is, retard
>>
Slow roll your research, quit and build your own company
>>
File: hahehhehehe.jpg (74KB, 640x629px) Image search: [Google]
hahehhehehe.jpg
74KB, 640x629px
>>8420288
In the end, all we really have is memes browsed..
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.