[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kib aFBgaPx4 How can we fix this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: shepherd.png (224KB, 1452x441px) Image search: [Google]
shepherd.png
224KB, 1452x441px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kibaFBgaPx4

How can we fix this?
>>
>>8417099
Stop over analyzing things
>>
>>8417099
This video has to be faked somehow, but it does show how retarded these word problems are in common core. Students just look for keywords and translate the problem back into a simple math question. Rarely are they given a vague problem with multiple avenues of attack.
>>
>>8417099
I figure a big part of it is conditioning from being attacked when they say they don't know or understand something. Politicians have this issue all the time where they think they have to be omniscient and if they don't know something they should just fill in the gaps with made up evidence. The stigma on not knowing things has to stop and people need to know that it's okay to ask questions when they don't understand something. For example instead of saying global warming is a hoax by the Chinese they should instead be asking questions about the science they don't understand and working with the information provided.
>>
>>8417099
Well, legal working age in the states is 18, and to be put in charge of a flock that large, he probably has some seniority in the family, plus he'd need some experience to manage them all, but he'd also still need to be fairly physically fit, so I'd be somewhere between 28 and 55.

Seriously though, I dun blame these kids. They get a hundred questions like these each days, and just see the numbers. They rarely, if ever, get trick questions with no answers. In that context, the last kid's response does make sense (well, almost).
>>
>>8417111
It's real: http://www.colorado.edu/ics/sites/default/files/attached-files/85-143.pdf
(see especially page 25).
>>
>>8417111
Yes, because repetitious word problems weren't a thing before common core...
>>
>>8417099

There's an understood premise that questions you're given in school are supposed to have answers because they were made specifically for you to solve them. In real life these students probably wouldn't try inferring age of the shepherd by checking out livestock quantities, but because it was given to them in an artificial school problem they mostly followed the premise of questions having answers and did the best they could to find an answer even though there wasn't one.
>>
>>8417131
So how do we fix that?
>>
>>8417145
Science courses teach that very early on with dimensional analysis. The guy in the video is asking them stuff that they haven't learned yet but they will learn it later on.
>>
>>8417099
>How can we fix this?
eugenics
>>
>>8417099
all of those mexicans are going to make the economy BOOM.
>>
>>8417102
the problem is the exact opposite you retard.
>>
>>8417145
You could make one question in five a trick question, so they'd be used to having to analyse the word problem, rather than just looking at the numbers.

Their scores would drop like mad though, as it'd slow the process down.

Plus, you don't really want to train kids to think, you just want them to work.
>>
>>8417145

You could do multiple choice questions and always include "not enough information" or "question isn't coherent" as one of the answers.
>>
>that one kid who tried to divide and got 15
>>
>>8417120
When did I say that? Please greentext when I said that.
>>
>>8417099
kek that one kid who answered 42 should be in the making sense column

he knows whats up
>>
>>8418753
>but it does show how retarded these word problems are in common core
Your implication is that repetitious word problems weren't a thing before common core.
>>
>>8417111
>Students just look for keywords and translate the problem back into a simple math question.
Even most people who get their college STEM degrees do it this way. That's why you can ask them questions a few years later, and they just have no clue. They might have passed courses on quantum mechanics and linear algebra, but to them it was just a jumble of stuff they had to cram before the test.

Most people don't think, they just pattern-match. They learn to pass exams by studying the specific kinds of questions. You could destroy them in an oral exam, but we don't do that any more (except for grad students) because now colleges are all about undergrad degrees for money (and grad degrees for labor... for money).
>>
File: adolf-hitler.jpg (78KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
adolf-hitler.jpg
78KB, 1024x576px
>>8417163
this
>>
>>8417099
plot twist: most of them don't understand english
>>
>>8417099

>how do you know he's 120 years old?

>i subtracted the five dogs from the 125 sheep
>>
>>8417207

>this kid is now running General Atomics
>>
>oh shit I have no idea how this could be solved
>so if I write nothing Im wrong guaranteed...
>if I write anything I might still get it partially correct
>we just learned about roots so we probably have to use them
sounds pretty reasonable to me
>>
One guy saying 42 without calculations

You could count him as "made sense"
>>
>>8417111
This is what learning by memorization looks like. See >>8415315
>>
>>8419841
this.

clearly the smartest kid attempting the test.
>>
>>8417170
Mexicans know math better than Americans
>>
>>8417099
Reminds of something that has happened about 10 times from first grade all the way up to university, ill greentext one in my last year of highschool
>math exam
>a question on the first page doesnt make sense
>1 quantity not given that is needed
>obviously an error
>answer the question but leave the quantity missing as a variable and say its needed
>go on with paper
>3/4 way into the exam teacher comes back
>tells us theres an error, that question is missing the number
>tells us the number
>whole class groans
>'b-but I wasted an hour trying to answer it, and now I dont have time to finish the rest of the paper!'
>half the class agrees we need more time because they are all still at that question
>laugh my ass of while filling in the value into the variable I left and sleep since im now done.

Same thing happened in thermo 2 where one number was incorrect and we thus had to work with a temperature of -100K, Left it as a variable and finished with that variable and said something is wrong with the temperature, was only one in the class who got any marks for that while the other people spent pages trying to get their temperature positive (like just ignoring the sigh, adding some random other temperatures, adding room temperature and all kinds of shit.).
>>
>>8417099

nodded with a dumb grin on my face at the kid who said the shepherd was 42

that kid's gon' be alright
>>
>>8419841
He meme'd well. Sadly, the staff supervising the test weren't hip enough to appreciate his oldschool wit.
>>
>>8420057
whats ur rank in ur class?
u get the top score in exams ?also what uni
>>
>>8417131
This
>>
>>8420152
I was 2nd overall, a bunch of subjects first. in the 2nd best university in my 3rd world country, so no great achievement.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.