[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do dogs look more human than chimps? their eyes, faces,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: _20161014_212642.jpg (61KB, 553x351px) Image search: [Google]
_20161014_212642.jpg
61KB, 553x351px
Why do dogs look more human than chimps?

their eyes, faces, expressions are so human-like
>>
It's not dogs that look like humans. It's you that looks like a dog.
>>
>>8416411
Because dogs are the most philosophical animal. A dog doesn't like what it doesn't know and likes what it knows. So it he likes and dislikes by the test of knowledge and ignorance, which is the definition of a philosopher. Philosophers are humans of course, so dogs are more like humans than they are like chimps.
>>
>>8416417
I bet you look like curious george :^)
>>
>>8416419
This is the foundation for the Cynical Philosophy. Diogenes is a wise man but so hard to follow.
>>
>>8416417
fucking roasted
>>
File: 0au3LDK.jpg (64KB, 689x1023px) Image search: [Google]
0au3LDK.jpg
64KB, 689x1023px
>>8416411

Artificial selection based on the most appealing species members securing the most free hand outs from humans.

Cats, too.
>>
>>8416411
Let's just ignore the fact that their skull shape is different in every way.
>>
>>8416411
You're an autist. You mean that dogs are more human-like than chimps in terms of facial expressions, and that's correct.
It's the result of thousands of years of selective breeding.
>>
>>8416411
because people with pets tend to anthropomorphise their animals to the point of delusion, exhibit A is you.
>>
>>8416485
its the same with other canids like wolves, foxes, coyotes, etc
>>
>>8416411
Anon you do know if a dog is smiling its actually being hostile with you right?
>>
>>8416525
nah, my dog smiles all the time and he loves me
>>
File: smuggo.jpg (15KB, 236x316px) Image search: [Google]
smuggo.jpg
15KB, 236x316px
>>8416525
>this dog is ready to kill somebody
>>
File: soldier-dog-reunion.jpg (68KB, 639x357px) Image search: [Google]
soldier-dog-reunion.jpg
68KB, 639x357px
>>8416469
>skull shape
That doesn't change that dogs emote in a very easily recognizable and empathetic way that no other animal, including ones more closely related to humans, tend to do.

>>8416485
>>8416434
That's an interesting one though. Is a few hundred generations enough to instill such "human" nonverbal behavior in all of them? I guess if it's enough to turn the exact same wolf's descendents into a chiahuahua or a mastiff then it must be.
>>
>>8416675
very special doggo
>>
>>8416485
t. autist
>>
>>8416663
How can you tell that dog is even happy? My point is if a carnivoran shows it teeth at you its means its hostile.
>>
>>8416950
You just signed your own post as an autist, bud.
>>
>>8417008
You're right about teeth but I didn't see that specified earlier

However a dog can make an expression very much like a human smile that's not an aggressive show of teeth
>>
>>8416417
savage
>>
The only difference between a domestic canid (a dog) and a wild canid (a wolf) is how well they get along with us. Evoultion has forced their traits to by sympathetic to us. If they have a face that looks like it's nice they're more likely to get food from humans. The popular theory is that a wolf-like canid followed a pack of humans long enough, eating their leftovers, until eventually they just became one unit. Part of this was learning not to bite, be social, and look pretty. If you have any concept of how evolution works, you'll see that these traits were more likely to help them survive, so they became part of the dog gene pool and persisted more quickly than traits for non-human looking faces.
>>
>>8416675
I can't remember the specific name of it, but there was a study in Siberia I think involving breeding tamer foxes. There were a few noticeable changes that occurred during the process that are similar to certain morphological differences between dogs and wolves - particularly shrinkage of certain parts of the skull and brain. Interestingly, similar shrinkage is evident between the skulls of ancient hunter-gatherers and modern humans, possibly indicating that modern humans are 'tame' in a similar way to dogs and other domesticated animals - though I have no sources on hand to back up that specific claim, it's just an interesting possibility.
>>
>>8416491
This is the only correct answer in this thread
>>
File: 5.jpg (39KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
39KB, 600x400px
they're social animals, & yheir ancestors are one of the only species in the world to use consistent pack behavior & teamwork in something as complex as hunting

this requires the ability to understand what other members of the pack want or are about to do. the large expanse of the white of the eye on either side of their iris, & almond shaped eyes, allow them to very easily demonstrate what they're interested in. they actually process the human face very similarly to the way we do- when we look at the face of another human, our eyes unconsciously glance to the left side of their face- the side more closely connected to the right brain, & more likely to give an accurate 'reading' of the emotional state of the human attached to it. they do the same thing, which is incredible. they've learned to recognize the emotional state of another species with efficacy matching our own. in addition, working dog breeds have, in some exceptional specimens, the same ability to learn new words as a three year old human. some learn that a given object can represent another similar object, & that pictures can as well. all of this combined with a selected desire to please mean they're damn good at playing us like fiddles.

they look at us as other members of their pack & have a certain measure of emotion such as fear, grief, & contentment. enough to understand our equivalent, & more than enough for us to anthropomorphize the shit out of the little buggers.

they don't look like humans you idiot. they look at us like humans.

although, like many mammals, they follow the rule of 'juveniles have massive heads & eyes, which hits us right in the parental genetics', so there's nothing magical about thinking puppies are cute. they just remind your brain of a baby.

pic related
>>
It's cause some neanderthal fucked a wolf long ago when he was bored

wa la

dogs
>>
>>8418618
>big eyes
Only faggots have big eye dogs real men like them with their natural sleek wolf eyes.
>>
People and dogs are material refractions of qualitatively similar lower forms.
>>
File: 1476639520090.jpg (350KB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1476639520090.jpg
350KB, 1800x1322px
>>8416423
>>
File: wait.jpg (52KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
wait.jpg
52KB, 320x320px
>>8418646
>>
>>8416434
not this fucking pictures again
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.