[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>He adds salt to his boiling pasta >Doesn't know this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: 11437_macaroni_cheese.jpg (329KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
11437_macaroni_cheese.jpg
329KB, 3000x2000px
>He adds salt to his boiling pasta
>Doesn't know this slightly raises the boiling point of water
>Doesn't cover the pot to conserve heat

Fucking plebs.
>>
It adds flavor to the pasta and makes the pasta softer.
>>
> Not making your own truffle infused water to boil your freshly made pasta in, and making a nice mozzarella or burrata foam to top it off.

Molecular gastronomy or gtfo
>>
Sorry dad
>>
>implying you wouldn't need a stupid amount of salt for that, which would make it taste like shit
>>
>>8405322
>It's for the taste I swear!
>>
>>>/ck/8174096
>>>/ck/8174199
>>
not salting your damn pasta water is the plebe move.
>>
>>8405335
It's easy to get too much salt.
>>
File: mac.png (283KB, 621x585px) Image search: [Google]
mac.png
283KB, 621x585px
this is what /ck/ has become due to /sci/ shitposting

uneraeving...
>>
>>8405317
This triggers /ck/
>>
>>8405400
>due to /sci/ shitposting
I've seen nothing to suggest it's coming from here.
>>
>>8405317
>adds salt to his boiling pasta
...bcoz his salt overload is not enough
>>8405319
>It adds flavor
...the flavour of salt, oh joy
>>8405324
>It's for the taste
...of salt, yumm
>>
>>8405317
Why not just add a small layer of oil?
>>
>>8405317
>slightly raises the boiling point of water
By like .1 °C maybe
>>
>>8405524
Salt factually generally enhances flavours.
>>
>>8405524
are you trolling? unsalted pasta tastes like plastic
>>
>>8405317
dont do this for anything that isn't doused in water, the condensation at the top makes it taste nasty
>>
>>8405317
This is a misconception. Adding anything to the water will raise the boiling point. However it is so insignificant, it is simply useless. Salt Is used for seasoning of the pasta (as well as the pasta water which can be used in sauces) and reduces the starchiness of the pasta.
>>
>>8405317
You don't actually want a vigorous boil once the pasta is in the water. You usually want to reduce the heat once you bring it to a boil again.

It's a bad idea to cover the pot, because it will bring it to a vigorous boil again, and will also make a mess around the stove.
>>
>>8405558
This is a good idea actually, as it prevents the pasta from sticking after you strain it.
>>
>>8405317
You put the salt after the water is boiling and after 10ish seconds you put the pasta in.

t. pastaman
>>
>>8405583
no it doesn't

>>8405883
you reduce the heat again

>>8405558
>hot oil bursting out with air bubbles and messing up the kitchen
>>
>>8405904
>no it doesn't
So, you never eaten what you cooked before, or never cooked before.

I've already had the unpleasantness of eating pasta without any salt whatsoever and what followed was another unpleasant time, but this time, in the bathroom.
>>
>>8405317
Do you really think people don't know adding impurities to water raises the boiling temp? We learned this in like 7th grade
>Just learned it today, ran to his computer as fast as he could to post this on /sci/ thinking he's some sort of enlightened genius for discovering why we salt the roads during the winter (higher boiling point means lower freezing/melting point)
>>
>>8405317
>doesn't know this slightly raises the boiling point of water

Everyone knows this and you don't even put in enough to have a significant effect.

Can't we talk about the pebs who put olive oil in the boiling water instead of directly on the finished pasta?
>>
>>8405940
You must have a really shitty digestion system if saltless pasta makes you shit/puke.
>>
>>8405317

> He doesn't pre-boil his pasta in his bath tub whenever taking a bath in order to save time.
>>
>>8406039
It had absolutely no sauce too. It was terrible. The worst pasta I've ever made.

It was shitting.
>>
>>8406107
You bathe in boiling water?
>>
>he eats pasta at all

kek
>>
>>8406190
You don't?
>>
File: 1476159956061.jpg (7KB, 222x232px) Image search: [Google]
1476159956061.jpg
7KB, 222x232px
OP is a faggot
>>
>>8405317
How does wasting heat for phase transformations help in the cooking effort?
>>
>>8405904
>bursting out
We are talking a tablespoon or so, just enough to cover a top layer to insulate the water, and prevent boiling over, its not a fish fry.
>>
>>8405524
>what is hedonistic salt appetite?

go back to your ti-84, autist
>>
>>8406310
Because the primary heating mechanism of boiling pasta is the convection to the pasta?
And Newton's law of cooling says the hotter the water the hotter the pasta
>>
>>8406310
Salt water hotter than non-salt water
pasta hotter in salt water
hotter pasta better pasta cook
salt water cook better
pasta taste better
huzzah
>>
>"What is diffusion?": The thread
>>
>>8405524
Salt changes the overall flavor of food it's cooked with. There's a reason that every single recipe for bread includes a dash of salt, becuase otherewise it tastes like cardboard.
>>
File: citation-needed.png (552B, 163x96px) Image search: [Google]
citation-needed.png
552B, 163x96px
>>8407469
>hotter pasta better pasta cook
[citation needed]
>>
>>8405572
>Salt factually generally
>literally, liberally, liturgically...
No, it does not.
>>
>>8406162
>my failure as a cook is due to lack of salt
No, it is not.
>>
>>8407463
get back to /g/, fgt pls
>>
>>8407626
>Salt changes the overall flavor of food
>from imami to salt
oh good
let's boil it in brine
>>
>>8407653
Then why does it?
>>
>>8407674
Salt actually stimulates the gustative papylls in the tongue, increasing your sensitivity to flavors. It doesn't actually change flavors in the food itself. Jeeze, this is biology stuff.
>>
>>8407793
Hence it generally enhances flavours, which was originally stated. Why would someone try to deny this?
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>8407793
>it makes it taste different but it doesn't change the flavor
>>
salt barely raises the boiling point of water, this effect of salt is largely irrelevant, however pasta does taste a lot better with a little salt and the salty water allows the salt to better penetrate the pasta
>>
>>8407814
>flavor changes between people
Hah!
I got you, brainlet!
>>
>>8405888
nice trips, but I was told by my Italian grandfather who cooks pasta all the time that you actually want the pasta to be a little sticky in order to stick to the sauce.
>>8405964
>Can't we talk about the pebs who put olive oil in the boiling water instead of directly on the finished pasta?
This

>>8405941
>higher boiling point means lower freezing/melting point
>7th grade knowledge
To me it's more intuitive that a lower freezing point would mean a lower boiling point. Why would adding an impurity increase the range of temperatures that it stays liquid? I honestly think that the range of temperatures would not change whereas the boiling and freezing point just linearly shift. Unless you have a physical explanation for why this is not the case.
>>
>8405317
>He adds salt to his boiling pasta
Who doesn't? Unless you are on a no-salt diet.
>Doesn't know this slightly raises the boiling point of water
Not a problem.
Again, who doesn't?
>>
File: 13.jpg (100KB, 715x747px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
100KB, 715x747px
>>8405317
We know the ravages of salt and all foods are already salted, there is no need to add salt.

I cover the pot to speed up the boiling
>>
>>8407468
>>8407469
That's precisely what I was getting at. I think you both have misread my post. Water without salt boils a bit earlier, removing heat from the system, which then isn't available for cooking.
>>
>>8407654
Just because the pasta I made made me haven an indigestion, doesn't mean I am a bad cook.

The point still stands that pasta without salt tastes like crap.
>>
>>8407650

source is every italian grandmother ever you god damned plebeian
>>
>>8407907
>italians add salt
i am going with the italians on this one
add the salt
>>
>>8406198
not liking delicious carbs
enjoy your 0 energy
>>
>>8405317
>he weighs 400 lbs
>he will never be a healthy weight
>he makes fun of how others make their pasta
>his diet consists mostly of carbohydrates
>>
File: bots.jpg (285KB, 1349x1488px) Image search: [Google]
bots.jpg
285KB, 1349x1488px
>>8405400
Every board has a set of bots that post shit over and over from at least 3 different "rival" websites.
>>
>>8407829
Not really. If I dump a bag of salt into some French fries, they'll be salty as fuck. Chances are you'll feel the same. It's not a subjective matter. Sure, there are people who perceive flavors differently but that doesn't make taste an entirely subjective thing.
>>
>>8405317

Who says the pasta needs to boil? as long as the water is hot it doesn't matter
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.