[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Tens of millions of cows are killed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: prion.jpg (80KB, 468x296px) Image search: [Google]
prion.jpg
80KB, 468x296px
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Tens of millions of cows are killed each year and only 40,000 are tested for the disease above. What is the chance that thousands of people have contracted this disease, but they die from other causes before the prions can be identified.

Makes you think
>>
>>8401206
I stumbled on some way back field while wandering around the woods years ago. There were decapitated cows everywhere, but in my limited surveying of the immediate area, more bodies than heads. There was likely blood on the ground, and I had no shoes and open injuries on my feet. Thought of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, and left.

Makes me think.
>>
The prion cannot be destroyed by most methods of sterilizing. It is close to indestructible due to its shape and it replicates itself until it kills its host.

It is not a bacteria, virus, or fungi.
>>
File: 1426948645308.jpg (97KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1426948645308.jpg
97KB, 480x640px
>>8401214
>wandering around the woods
>>
>>8401214
>wandering around in the woods
>no shoes and open injuries on my feet

Why?
>>
>>8401214
You may be fucked anon.

Prions are indestructible and will last indefinitely. If the ground was infected and it got into your bloodstream, hope that the incubation period is longer than normal.
>>
>>8401222
You didn't do this as a child?
>>
>>8401223
Don't feel like adequately telling the story, and can't find the means to make it concise right now. Sorry.

I had a strange childhood.

>>8401232
It's possible, but seems unlikely. I imagine exposure to heat or UV would readily denature any prions. The cows seemed fresh, but not too fresh. ~1 day or so old. Though it was mid autumn and had been cloudy.
>>
>>8401239
Do you realize that these things survive autoclaves and can withstand temperatures over 1000?
>>
>>8401235
the lack of introduction to your anecdote made it sound like this happened recently
>>
>>8401239
would love to hear about your life on the lamb
>>
>>8401243
Oh.

Regardless, this was years ago, and I'm not too concerned about it. I've been a mess for most of my life anyway, and lived for years not really expecting to make it to my twenties. I'm relatively prepared for such a thing because I've already lived it.

I'm in a shitty, but familiar mental state right now. Sometimes orgasm has no real effect on pain perception, rarely it inhibits it, occasionally it greatly intensifies it. And I wonder what delineates these outcomes, and the underlying mechanics. I've been here before, and know enough to just go.
>>
>>8401277
tell me about your life
>>
>>8401239
>I imagine exposure to heat or UV would readily denature any prions.
Imagination is a good thing, but it is no substitute for knowledge, especially in this case.
>>
>>8401277

What

>>8401291
This
>>
>>8401206
>Tens of millions of cows are killed each year
>only 40,000 are tested
>What is the chance that thousands of people have contracted this disease
INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER
("The Last Question", Isaac Asimov, 1956)
>>
>>8401206
>testing cows
>for CJD
Are you retarded OP? Cows don't get CJD, they get BSE
>>
>>8401291
I'm going to sleep. Maybe later. Probably not, but maybe.

>>8401304
Generally I agree, but in this case knowledge is of little utility. Life is a series of gambles, and often, you can't even know what you're gambling on. Maybe my heuristics goofed me all up, maybe they didn't.

Overall there's a wide spectrum of possibilities here and a good deal of them don't even include prion infected cows. Further down the chain, even less likely is a given prion being present to make its way into the bloodstream. This was the back portion of a fairly large field with 10 - 15 bodies scattered around. I didn't wade through some sort of massacre zone or body heap.
>>
>>8401206
>Makes you think
>that Anon is retard
>>
>>8401268
It says years ago. Learn to read. Besides, walking in the woods is chill af senpai.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.