[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /sci/, I'm new to the EM drive controversy. So, it violates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: em-drive-590x379.jpg (38KB, 590x379px) Image search: [Google]
em-drive-590x379.jpg
38KB, 590x379px
So, /sci/, I'm new to the EM drive controversy. So, it violates Newton's third law and the conservation of momentum correct?

How is this thing even possible then. Is it just pop-sci bullshit like usual?
>>
Its called the meme drive for a reason
>>
>>8397672
Couldn't you play devils advocate and say that relativity was thought to be impossible at first?
>>
Photons have momentum
>>
>>8397678
>something possible was once thought to be impossible
>therefore everything is possible
>>
>>8397548
According to everyone who has tested it it seems to work, but we dont exactly know if it actually violates Newtons Law or if its just an oversight.

>>8397684
Great insight there, buddy.
>>
> ~1mN of thrust per Watt when tested
>Might lift itself off the ground if powered by fucking fission reactor
>Oops, reactor's too heavy. Need more power. Oh, add some extra while you're at it or we won't be able to transport anything on it
>It now accelerates at 2 Ångströms/(Megayears^2)
>mfw
>>
>>8397692
>According to everyone who has tested it it seems to work, but we dont exactly know if it actually violates Newtons Law or if its just an oversight.

It's within the margin of error, most likely a small error in the experiment.
>>
>>8397692
>According to everyone who has tested it it seems to work

This is wrong

Several researchers claimed that it didn't work.
>>
>>8397716
I think the researchers from NASA as well as the chinese team found it to work under all circumstances they took into consideration.

>>8397713
Until they find out what causes the error nothing is for sure. Personally I would assume that you are right even though I definitely hope that you arent.
>>
I hear they were gonna test it in space, that still going through?
>>
>>8397548
>How is this thing even possible then. Is it just pop-sci bullshit like usual?

ever hear of a "radiometer" ? check 'em out, for the longest time their actual method of operation was controversial
>>
So if I understand this right. It bounces microwaves inside this can. Though because of the frequency, instead of turning into heat, it becomes momentum.
>>
>>8397695
Thrusters aren't for taking off.
>>
>>8397695
>>It now accelerates at 2 Ångströms/(Megayears^2)
>use this for hovercrafts, etc
what's the problem, anon?
>>
>>8397868
A radiometer's mechanics are utterly conventional and within the laws of physics. The reason it is controversial is because many people, including its inventor, hypothesized an incorrect explanation that seemed intuitive. The memedrive is similar in that its inventor hypothesizes an intuitive but incorrext explanation of how it works. But the controversy is not over that explanation, it's in that its claimed effects violate conservation of energy. If the memedrive actually had the thrust to power ratio its claimed to have, then it could be used to make free energy from the surplus kinetic energy it produces, regardless of how it actually works. This indicates that the claimed thrust to power ratio is in error.
>>
>>8397691
It's more like
>something possible was once thought impossible
>therefore it's not necessary that all things thought impossible are actually impossible

You committed a fallacy
>they claim A implies B may be possible because P(B)
>therefore they are claiming that P(C) implies C is necessarily possible

They should really introduce people to modal logic, since most human reasoning in inductive.
>>
>>8397672
I thought Alcubi-meme-rre drives where memes.
>>
>>8397691
90 IQ pleb
>>8399499
Above 110 but below 130 IQ normie
>>
>>8399815
>he fell of the IQ mene
Non functional autistic underage
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.