[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Futurists BTFO http://www.nature.com/nature/journa l/vaop/n

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: 1474767759434s.jpg (9KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
1474767759434s.jpg
9KB, 250x243px
Futurists BTFO

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature19793.html
>>
>>8394978
>http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature19793.html
>we show that improvements in survival with age tend to decline after age 100, and that the age at death of the world’s oldest person has not increased since the 1990s. Our results strongly suggest that the maximum lifespan of humans is fixed and subject to natural constraints.
I know this was posted in Nature, but I honestly don't see how they can immediately say that this means theres a "fixed maximum lifespan". Do they mean no matter what? Because I'm pretty sure if we cure cancer and reduce effects of aging and streamline transplants the maximum age would look so fixed.
also
>hasn't raised since the 1990's
Since when did science start only looking 20 years back? What is this, ted cruz on climate change?
>>
>implying we've bothered to increase life expectancy of those who are already the oldest.
>>
>>8395004
>life is a Chinese hoax
>>
>>8395008
no
>there has been no significant change in the climate in the last 16 years
- ted cruz
the timeframe they put on it is arbitrary
>>
>>8395004
The point is that in that specific timeframe there have been many more technological and healthcare advances that should be increasing the maximum life expectancy by a greater amount than we saw previously during periods with a slower rate of technological and healthcare innovations, but instead it isn't going up at all.

This is what you would expect to see if you reach a ceiling, which was their motivation for the study.
>>
File: 1474013561492.png (75KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
1474013561492.png
75KB, 198x198px
this is now smug animu girls thread
>>
>>8395024
in the last 20 years
also, OP is a faggot who shitposted this on /g/ as well
>>
>>8395060
>>
>>8395066
this is what its like to have autism
>>
File: 0038.jpg (104KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
0038.jpg
104KB, 480x480px
>>8395037
hoorah!
>>
>>8395067
I hope you are having a laff
because I am
>>
File: lolipepe.jpg (95KB, 568x592px) Image search: [Google]
lolipepe.jpg
95KB, 568x592px
>>8395037
Postan
>>
>>8394978
>there's not gonna be any major discoverys in the field of medicine ever again
>>
File: 1410392964912.gif (74KB, 278x340px) Image search: [Google]
1410392964912.gif
74KB, 278x340px
>>8395182
>missing the point this hard
>can't even understand a simple thesis in a Nature paper
are you serious rn
>>
>>8395024
>in that specific timeframe there have been many more technological and healthcare advances
None of those has helped to find a total cure for cancer.
No shit that our life expectancy will peak until we find one, since livivng longer tends to increase the risk of getting cancer.
This does not mean that there is a limit at all, but merely that we are at a brick wall that we can right now only get closer and closer to (with diminishing returns) until we find something to break through.
>>
>>8395004
Mfw their thesis is literally an appeal to nature in a journal called nature
>>
>>8394978
They only say this holds if there is no paradigm change, and that it has stalled as a result in recent decades. Telomere or DNA repairs would be one such paradigm change. Cancer cells are thought to be immortal for instance.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.