[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I'm in 1st year undergrad of Geology and it looks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Bookfrontcover.jpg (296KB, 1748x2224px) Image search: [Google]
Bookfrontcover.jpg
296KB, 1748x2224px
Hey /sci/ I'm in 1st year undergrad of Geology and it looks like I'll need to do a term paper for my chemistry class. What are some interesting geology-related topics you think I could manage?
Note that I'm not asking you o do my homework for me, I'd just like to hear some opinions.
>>
>>8393950
The dangers of fracking
>>
assuming they just want a lit review of something chem-related:

how do we know the age and bulk composition of the earth? (mostly geochemistry of meteorites)

what explains the different types of volcanoes? (i.e. lava properties as a function of composition which is in turn related to tectonic setting)
>>
>>8394819
>>8394770
Thanks, sounds pretty good.
>>
Fracking isn't really that dangerous. Look up harvesting of methane hydrates.
You could also do Arsenic contamination of aquifers, like the Mahomet aquifer in Illinois
>>
isn't that picture of that lake that released a shitton of CO2 and killed a town?
>>
>>8393950
Acid sulfate soils have some interesting reactions that are easy enough for first year chem.
>>
>>8396398
Also related to acid mine drainage. Potentially lucrative field.
>>
>>8393950
Rio Tinto in Spain, literal river of acid lmao
>>
>>8396398
>>8396421
Pretty good topic, lots of literature and relevance.
>>
>>8393950
For my hydrology class we looked at heavy metal transport of mine tailings in the local river.
>>
>>8393950

In my geology they asked for papers about the genesis of the moon and geochemistry of asteroids and stuff.

you could also do something related to the chemical impurities which give gemstones different colours.

Or you could talk about hydrothermal transport and alteration of ore bodies and their host rocks, which will become a pretty important topic later in your degree.

You could attempt to explain why silica leaches into banded iron formations and out of laterites when the mechanisms of formation are so similar.

You could do something on the weathering products of rocks and how the process works, with rain creating carbonic and silicic acid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldich_dissolution_series
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.