[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so hard for people to 'get' quantum mechanics,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
Why is it so hard for people to 'get' quantum mechanics, compared to, say, relativity theory?

Relativity doesn't really seem any more unintuitive than QM yet even normies seem able enough to accept it as true even if they struggle with its application, or understanding the arguments for it. This does not seem to be the case for quantum mechanics. Why is this?
>>
>>8392920
>Relativity doesn't really seem any more unintuitive than QM
Any less unintuitive*
>>
>>8392920
cause it's memed into oblivion to be insanely hard
like: noone understands it and if sb claims he does, it's evidence he doesnt.
>>
>>8392925
I mean you just have to accept reality. Photons are countable, they show wave behaviour like interference aso.
>>
>>8392920
>Why is it so hard for people to 'get' quantum mechanics, compared to, say, relativity theory?

Because QM is literally "why the fuck is this happening?" There is not ONE person in the world right now who understands the spooky action at a distance, the delayed choice experiments, etc. All scientists can do is look at the results and scratch their heads and guess what is happening.
>>
>>8392976
I understand all them but be no native and no can word them right and in my home country be no science mans can understand this
>>
quantum woo

popsci fags and lousy scientists rely on the 100 year old Copenhagen interpretation pushed by Niels the quack Bohr that doesn't make any sense ,or some other retarded interpretation, to sell books

actual probability theory, not the nonsense physicists push can explain the results of all of QM accurately. To explain what it is happening physically, you don't even need 90% of the junk science that gets brought up

almost all of known QM has been sorted out since the early 1920s.
>>
>compared to, say, relativity theory
Explain to me why the hell having a finite speed of light (and invariant for all reference frames) somehow implies that the time measured on two different reference frames is different.

Or the distance.
>>
>>8393081
Are you serious?
>>
>>8393081

not sure if b8, it sounds unrelated because you're not making the connection that the speed of light is the speed of information.
>>
>>8393087
>>8393103
Then explain how you see a bar shorten when you look at it in movement.
>>
>>8392920
>hamiltonian mechanics is le hard :^( xDDddddDDdd
>>
>>8393110

it keeps measurements consistent with time dilation
>>
>>8392920
Because the ontology of quantum mechanics hasn't been worked out fully yet. We know it gives the right answers but we don't know why. One thing is clear though: QM is not about things, it's about information.
>>
>>8393154
That explains mathematically why it happens, not physically.
>>
>>8392920
Physics students spent their first years studying classical mechanics. Then they get introduced to quantum mechanics which works very different. That makes it harder fro them to 'get' it.
>>
>>8393177
That's because they're stupid, then
>>
>>8393181
It makes it just seem much more unintuitive.
>>
>>8393183
>wahhh waaaaah I can't intuit things anymore
It's like chem students who fail out of organic or physical chemistry
>>
>>8393081
I can't explain right now because I'm late for class, but basically if from one point of view A is going almost the same speed as C and B is going much slower than C, the only way C can appear to both as receding at the same m/s speed is if A and B have different meters and different seconds.
>>
File: FUCK THIS.jpg (190KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK THIS.jpg
190KB, 625x833px
>work entirely in lagrangian formulation
>obscure basic linear algebra with weird notation
>also takes a bunch of complicated probability and statistics stuff and complicates it further
>50% of the stuff is unmotivated, it "just works"

it's a pain in the ass for math people
>>
>>8394079
>uses more abstract mathematics rather than cut and dry baby calc/stat due to the sheer power provided by the method
>is therefore a pain in the ass for math people

you're just not good at math
>>
>>8392920
>Why is it so hard for people to 'get' quantum mechanics, compared to, say, relativity theory?

Because they don't know Linear Algebra nor Fourier Analysis. Relativity is geometrical and easier to grasp.
>>
Because it blows the fuck out of determinism, which basically cucks the rest of physics' dogma.
>>
>>8395164
stop posting anytime
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.