[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to teach yourself electrical engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: PCB.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
PCB.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I don't care about speed of learning, just the quality of the outcome.
>>
>>8389863
The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill
Learning the Art of Electronics: A Hands-On Lab Course by Thomas C. Hayes, Paul Horowitz
>>
>>8389888
Thank you, anon. Anymore for anymore?
>>
>>8389904
Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz, Simon Monk
Electrical Engineering 101, Third Edition: Everything You Should Have Learned in School...but Probably Didn't by Darren Ashby
Make: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery by Charles Platt
>>
>>8389888
>>8389946
>electronics
>electrical engineering
kill yourself
>>
>>8389946
Perfect, finding ebooks of these should be easy.
>>
>>8389863
Depends on what you want to do. Are you interested in digital or analog? Do you want to learn how integrated circuits are designed or just how to use them?

Topics like semiconductor device physics, microwave engineering, and VLSI are all deep and rewarding to study but may be of no practical use to the standard electrical engineer designing PCBs with microcontrollers and a few dozen sensors/interfaces
>>
>>8390019
What makes the best money on the fly?
>>
>>8389863
Check out the electronics general on /diy/
>>
>>8389863
Buy components. Buy oscilloscope. Build shit. Build a lot of shit.

Books are good for references and teaching you some of the finer points of design but it's not a substitute for practical experience.
>>
>>8389863
>Take out student loans
>Go to school
>>
>>8390019
If your goal is making money then definitely disregard devices, microwave, and VLSI. All have pretty low return for the required education and have 100s of thousands of dollars worth of equipment cost.

I would encourage you to look to computer science if you want something that easy for someone to learn on their own with limited financial resources.

If EE is where you want to be digital is probably your best bet. Typical hobbyist projects with Raspberry Pi or Arduino can teach you a lot about basic circuits and embedded systems with minimal cost/time investment. I would also encourage you to check out CAD software like altium after knocking out a few hobby projects. I think a very fast path to a job would be to become a board layout CAD software guru and join a company as a dedicated layout guy.
Analog is typically very expensive in terms of equipment to learn on and it is much much harder to make something that does things that normal humans consider useful. It also requires a much stronger math/physics background.

It is important to keep in mind that EE is an incredibly broad field and many areas have minimal if any overlap. Often outside knowledge can give an edge over traditionally educated engineers. I know an old dude who used to control a laser light and music show called Laserium (you can look it up) in the 70s and 80s. Basically the expertise he gained fixing and building the laser systems for his performances gave him sufficient knowledge of optics to join a start up that designs satellite payloads. What is your background and interests in?
>>
>>8390418
Well, I'm aiming to become a nuclear engineer and I already have programming experience.

Which is why this option: >>8390265, isn't an option.
>>
>>8389863
Anymore advice or information?
>>
>>8391435
Which country are you from?
>>
>>8389964
Did you find the ebook book - Learning the Art of Electronics?
>>
File: learning_the_art_of_electronics.jpg (53KB, 399x500px) Image search: [Google]
learning_the_art_of_electronics.jpg
53KB, 399x500px
>>8391665
The United Kingdom, why?

>>8391678
<- This one?
>>
>>8389863
Try and build a computer. Pick the parts and put it together
>>
>>8389963
>t. little brainlet
>>
>>8390867

>I picked the wrong degree
>>
>>8389863
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Electrical_and_Electronics_Engineering
>>
>>8391779
Already done that.

>>8391799
I did. :/

>>8391818
Thank you.
>>
>>8391712
Yes, that book. Can anyone link me to the digital copy?
>>
>>8389946
>>8389888
these are good
PLUS

you should get the pdf of schaum's basic circuit analysis to get practice problemson a lot of the first theorems that carry over in circuit analysis.
>>
>>8391883

not to late to switch to EE from NE
>>
electric circuits by alexander and sadiku is a great textbook for the fundamentals of circuit analysis
>>
Anyone has this book - Learning the Art of Electronics?
>>
>>8393270
I looked around on multiple sites (libgen, piratebay, google custom ebook search), and found nothing. It's probably because the book isn't available as pdf yet, and scanning some 1000 something pages is a huge task. The good news is that it will probably be available as pdf soon, and then it will most likely be uploaded to libgen (same thing happened with the third edition of The Art of Electronics, the pdf version was released like a year after the paperback). This is all just speculation tho.
>>
>>8393462
I really hope so, waiting around for books is a pain.
>>
>>8394725
Seconded.
>>
>>8393462
Use Torrentproject.se OP.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-06_12-07-55.png (6KB, 381x91px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-06_12-07-55.png
6KB, 381x91px
>>8395104
No results there either, but thanks for recommending the site.
>>
>>8395121
Oh rip. Is that the lab book?

You can just get an arduino kit, they go over the basic use of each component in a breadboard pretty nicely.

I got that $30 elegoo super starter kit and it was the funnest $30 I've spent.

Though, you might just wanna get a regular one with no controller board, just some resistors, leds and caps to test stuff out.

Multimeter and banana cables with aligator clips might be interesting too.
>>
>>8395127
That's a great idea, thank you, anon.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.