[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anyone have experience with magnetic refrigeration? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: mce.jpg (98KB, 1437x830px) Image search: [Google]
mce.jpg
98KB, 1437x830px
does anyone have experience with magnetic refrigeration?

I don't understand why it has not become mainstream yet.
what are the downsides?
>>
>>8386719
your pic is confusing as shit. Explain.
>>
File: fridge.jpg (49KB, 480x334px) Image search: [Google]
fridge.jpg
49KB, 480x334px
>>8386724
well left is one cooling cycle from both compression and magnetocaloric cooling

on the right is an equation of the cooling efficiency (I think)

and on the top right measurement types for warming and cooling (I think)

I'm no pro that's why I'm asking but the cooling cycle is pretty easy to understand
>>
Looks a bit like a stirling engine, magnetically driven.
Coleman build a cooler using this principle. Its also used by the company stirlingultracold, but that is more for laboratory use.

Downside it that its probably too good, no compressor to break down...
>>
>>8386724
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlKKKMTA7XM
>>
>>8386990
well Cooltech claims to have be able to build a refrigerator for commercial use. They unveiled the prototype last year I think.

Imagine the environmental impact from not having to ship around and change compressor gas and the energy savings if you were to exchange all air-conditionings and refrigerators in private households. If I remember correctly, cooling is the most energy consuming process in domestic homes.

I bet it's still highly priced but I'm pretty sure if a government would give buyers a funding if they get a magnetocaloric cooler, they would profit from the energy savings in the long term.

sadly I'm lower class and don't even come close to get this suggestion public or buying one myself :(
>>
>>8386719
It's too fucking expensive and it's too fucking cold.

/sci/ why don't we use laser cooling to cool our yogurt to 1mK
>>
>>8387004
Thank you. I understand how heat pumps work I was just unsure on the mechanism. So they are using a special alloy that changes temperature in the presence of a magnetic field? How does that work physically? Do I need to study some complex solid state physics to truly understand or can someone explain it simply?
>>
Vacuum panels will be the next step in refrigerator technology.

Electromag won't be for consumers, most likely. They'll probably be used in hospitals and restaurants.
>>
>>8387092
It changes otherwise it would violate the second law. When a mag Field is applied it becomes ordered since the poles align. So that entropy isn't decreased the temp must drop
>>
>>8387112
I thought the second law only applied to isolated systems. Wouldn't the magnetic field switching on and off constitute a non-isolated system? Your explanation does make a lot of sense though, when the poles align with the field I'd imagine there is less internal kinetic energy.
>>
>>8387070
>too cold
can't you just regulate to not cool too much without spending the same amount of energy?

>>8387100
don't vacuum panel just isolate? how do they cool?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.