[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups (Warner),

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Nondifferentiable_atlas.png (65KB, 328x167px) Image search: [Google]
Nondifferentiable_atlas.png
65KB, 328x167px
Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups (Warner), or Introduction to Smooth Manifolds (Lee). Experiences? Which is best as a first introduction?
>>
Neccessary and sufficient bump.
>>
>>8386148
How much topology/differential geometry do you already know ?
>>
>>8386148
I had Warner and thought it very good. Not easy for me though, it's pretty fast paced.
>>
>>8386773
Basic general topology course, but havent gone into algebraic topology yet. From differential geometry I have a basic understanding of what smooth manifolds are as defined in terms of charts. Overall I should be fine regarding analysis prerequisites.

>>8386934
I read that Warner is very good and it used to be the standard but its very dense. On the other hand, Lee is described as "chatty" at times. I dont think Warner is easy for anyone.
>>
>>8386148
Lee
>>
neither
>>
>>8387955
How so?
>>
>>8388349
Because he's a brainlet. Manifolds and differential geometry - Lee, is the right choice even if you don't know shit about differential geometry. If you don't know multivariable "calculus" (like Spivak) and topology (like Munkres) you can hang yourself though. Lee makes you a smarter person. Use Tu to double-check, you can find it online.
>>
I read/worked through the first 7ish chapters of Lee and found it a great primer to GR. It covers the mathematical foundations of differential geometry and is straightforward enough that you can quickly see its application in physics.
>>
>>8388371
Im never sure what is meant by calculus, Im familiar with the main theorems in calculus such as Stokes', but I havent seen them in the context of a multidimensional real analysis course. Which is assumed? As for Munkres, I have no problems with the material from chapters one through seven, as far as I can tell from the table of contents.

>>8388373
Are you a physicist?
>>
>>8388381
Go through the first chapters of Calculus on manifolds, Spivak. You simply need to know how to differentiate with multiple variables.
>>
>>8388548
As in, the Frechet derivative?
>>
Use Lee. Get his other book Intro to Topological Manifolds if Intro to Smooth manifolds is a little too over your head
>>
Thanks for the replies all!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.