[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible that there is a relatively nice analytic expression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160207_233733-1.jpg (535KB, 1578x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160207_233733-1.jpg
535KB, 1578x600px
Is it possible that there is a relatively nice analytic expression for the curves that limit the linearly rotating line segment of an arbitrary length, that translates along a line?
I hope you understand what I'm asking by looking at the picture.

What about the area under the curves? And the volume traced by circles rotating linearly while translating along a line in 3-space, in place of the line segments. (radius is half the length of the segment)
I guess this is very related to the legendary Mario curve of /sci/.
>>
File: 20160204_153951-2.jpg (611KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20160204_153951-2.jpg
611KB, 1400x1050px
Here's the circles.
>>
File: IMG_6067.jpg (85KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6067.jpg
85KB, 680x680px
am interested.
bump
>>
ummmm... sine?

A rotating stationary diameter traces out two simultaneous and opposite radii.
If the lateral translation was constant and parametrized by time, the curve would simply be sin xt.
>>
>>8383285
I believe this anon has it right. If you were to continue your drawing in the first picture, you should develop something that looks like a sine graph.
>>
File: cycloidc.gif (7KB, 400x64px) Image search: [Google]
cycloidc.gif
7KB, 400x64px
>>8383231
Curtate cycloid. Pic related. To encourage you to derive the equations yourself, the link to mathematica page on curtate cycloids has been omitted
>>
>>8383303
I'm not OP, but that "rod" isn't moving in a straight line with constant velocity. If you look at OP's pic, the center of mass of the rod is always on that line.
>>
>>8383313

anon's picture tracks the motion of one end at a time. The other half of the is going to be the same curve 1 pi out of phase.
>>
>>8383274
Why are you using the spider?
>>
>>8383303
>curtate cycloid
How come it's not just a cycloid?
>>
>>8383322
sorr,y this isn't exactly right. but if the y position of the end of the rod with y equaling 0 on the line one end of the rod would be traced with sinx and the other end of the rod would be traced with sin x-pi/2 aka cosine x.
>>
Isn't it just an ordinary cycloid, which can't have an expression of the form y=f(x)?
>>
Actually doesn't this differ from a cycloid in that the rotating segment translates an arbitrary distance during a full cycle, while with the cycloid it's always 2*pi*r?
Is there a name for this or am I too stupid to see that it's actually some type of cycloid?
>>
>>8383231
Is rotation in the same plane as the translation or not?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.