[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I understand that agitation and decrease in environmental pressure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: soda-fizz.jpg (22KB, 445x331px) Image search: [Google]
soda-fizz.jpg
22KB, 445x331px
I understand that agitation and decrease in environmental pressure are responsible for soda losing its carbonation, but how is it that the calibration alone of a soda fountain can result in dispensing an absolutely enormous head that takes tens of seconds to dissipate and almost no carbonation left in the soda?
>>
>>8383036
The carbonation can be dissolved in the solid drink or frothed up by poor pouring, pun intended. So the carbonation meant to stay in the drink floats away once the foam disappears.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/03/17/how-to-properly-pour-beer/
>>
>>8383052
I figure there has to be at least a little more to it, as the issue appears correlated to neither how the cup is held nor the speed of the dispenser.
>>
>>8383060
I mean we are going off of anecdotal evidence only. So, my guessed knowing nothing about your experience is that 1) the way the cup was held, or 2) there was less carbonation to start with. But you can never know unless you test it yourself or find some type of research. Otherwise i stand by my explanation over what you figure or feel.
>>
>>8383067
You've never encountered a fountain that produces a massive head? You are calling anecdotal evidence what I call casual observation that the fountain is the variable here, not technique. To take your second guess, I'll grant that the end result is certainly less carbonation, but how can that be consistent with a shitload of fizz? Poor control by the mechanism responsible for mixing the seltzer water, such that the majority of the CO2 fails to dissolve and a turbulent mixture is dispensed?
>>
>>8383084
When using the aforementioned method for pouring beer i have NEVER gotten a big head from a dispenser. It must be a singular case of a bad dispenser in your case.
>>
>>8383088
Good god you have shit reading comprehension. My opening post of this thread was a statement that the dispenser was at fault with the question being how it fails.
>>
>>8383091
Calibration includes everything from syrup/carbonation composition/storage to how the actual device dispenses liquid. There are many things at play. Dont act all high and mighty because you think i can read your mind as to exactly what you were talking about.
>>
>>8383036
Why are you curious? Do you have a living of repairing soda dispensers?
>>
>>8383109
The component you focus on would not be calibration of the machine but of the human. I continuously referred to the machine while you continuously referred to the pour.

>>8383116
I am curious about everything. Why arent you?
>>
Add some soap/grease to break up the bubble surface tension
>>
>>8383036
>an absolutely enormous head that takes tens of seconds to dissipate
>almost no carbonation left in the soda?
What planet do you live on, OP?
>>
>>8383091
Think of it this way. If there is a large amount of perturbation at the nozzle of the dispenser the total surface area exposed to the atmosphere would increase. This would cause the CO2 to quickly exit the liquid into the CO2 poor air. The CO2 that is now no longer pressurized is now insoluble into the soda solution. This means a large number of bubbles with little reintroduction into solution.

Now if the nozzle is a clean even pour then the overall surface area is decreased and a majority of the released CO2 is released directly into the air around it keeping it from being trapped in the soda again making the fizzy head.
>>
>>8383127
>>8383127
>I am curious about everything. Why arent you?
I am curious about everything but the ideas of a soda dispenser mechanic fall low on the list of interest.

If you want a true answer you need to test and repair that particular unit yourself. So, to provide a problem without necessarily describing the particular qualities of this unit prevents anyone from giving a worthwhile response as to how to repair or what is wrong with the unit. So, i thought more theoretically since i was not provided any information to answer this practically or specific to your problem.
>>
>>8383138
I dont need a true answer as I have no interest in actually fixing such a machine. It's an exercise in thought and theory where the outcome is necessarily supposition. This was something that I noticed and couldnt satisfactorily explain, so I asked.

>>8383130
Assuming youre stating those to be contradictory, the point is that the ratio is way out of whack. If the soda were just overcarbonated then there would be a lot left in the soda.
>>
>>8383036
Agitation and pressure aren't the only two variables. You have to account for nucleation surfaces in whatever you're pouring into. If the cup has ice, there are many nucleation surfaces on the ice causing the decomposition of the carboxylic acid. If the cup is made of Styrofoam vs glass, there's more nucleation surfaces. I would count on the ice being the main factor. I don't usually use ice at a soda fountain and I never get more than 2 seconds of foam.
>>
>>8383036
>drinking the sugary death tonic
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.