[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't genetic engineering the best way to treat cancer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1474092276274.png (146KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
1474092276274.png
146KB, 600x579px
Isn't genetic engineering the best way to treat cancer? From what I know, cancer is a bitch to treat because it varies from subject to subject, but wouldn't genetic engineering solve that problem?
>>
>>8373848
>From what I know, cancer is a bitch to treat because it varies from subject to subject, but wouldn't genetic engineering solve that problem?
I don't see the connection.
>>
If you want a general answer, it's NO!

If you want a more specific answer, you need a more specific question. Genetic engineering of what? And what type of cancer?
>>
>>8373848
Yes but it's even more difficult to tackle it that way. It's like proposing a curvature engine to reach Mars.
>>
File: lol avatar.jpg (5KB, 165x165px) Image search: [Google]
lol avatar.jpg
5KB, 165x165px
>>8373848
genetic engineering is pretty much the solution to whatever problems your body has, including cancer. Take notice that you would need to engineer the fetus and not a fully grown adult due to limitations. I studied a bit of this but not that much really, take everything with a grain of salt
>>
right, just disable the cancer gene
>>
>>8373976
There is no cancer gene right? there are just mistakes that happen due to cell replication, I think you would have to actually reinforce the "DNA strands" so it does not deteriorate over time and cause the silly mistakes we see.
>>
>>8373848
Yes. But we have mastered gene therapy yet.
>>
File: IDidWhatIWasSupposedTo.jpg (3KB, 200x202px) Image search: [Google]
IDidWhatIWasSupposedTo.jpg
3KB, 200x202px
>be me, an cell with enviourmentally modified DNA strain
>constantly called cancer
>just wanting live on an follow my programmed directive
>spreading my DNA
>then they calle tumor
Tfw nobody loves me for following the directive all biological life forms have

>>8373976
We could of told the same about the holocaust.
>just disable the holocaust gene
Your point is invalid
>>
>>8374270
now this is shitposting
>>
an expansion of our understanding on matter in general will probably be a better investment of resources.
>>
>>8373848
Crispr gene editing could hypothetically be used to alter cancer cells and make them benign.

But there is a lot of work to be done before Crispr is actually used on humans.
>>
>>8374612
China is already doing it though
>>
>>8374622
Huh, you are right:
http://www.nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-to-pioneer-first-human-crispr-trial-1.20302

They are editing T-cells so that the cancer won't be able to evade immunological detection.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.